Mariposa White

Thread: What's the neck relief of a MusicMan Stingray?

User Info Menu

What's the neck relief of a MusicMan Stingray?

Hi ,I'm french and I've a problem.. What's the neck relief of a MusicMan Stingray? 0.35mm at 7th fret with the first and last fret, fretted or the 17th and the first fret? I don't find the real value..
    Thanks.
    Cordialy

User Info Menu

2.4mm from bottom of string to top of 12th fret, when you've got that measurement and no buzzes you're in business. The other thing of course is how you like your action, I like mine fairly high but there you go

User Info Menu

No, he asked for neck relief, not action.

Neck relief is 1st and 12th, measure at 7th or 8th, according to the FAQ. 0.25 - 0.35mm would be a good number. There is no right or wrong, as longs a you are happy.

Music Man Basses
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my Music Man photo albums

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

Action is affected by neck relief and bridge height poindexter

User Info Menu

I like low action: 2mm at the 12th fret.
    Thanks for the relief but 1st to 12th, the saddles are very low and the pickup very low.. :/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marko1960 View Post
    Action is affected by neck relief and bridge height poindexter
    Newbie calling a moderator Poindexter. Hmm....
    2014 Sterling 5H Black w/ Maple - F28653
    2001 Sterling 4H Blue Dawn w/ Maple - F04289
    2015 Stingray 4H SLO Special Black Cherry w/ Rosewood - E96203
    2011 Classic Stingray 5H Lake Tahoe Blue

User Info Menu

No other responses?

User Info Menu

Just set it up how you like it. Musicman really doesn't have exact setup specs, like many guitar companies. I think Martin guitars are all set up more by feel than by measuring.

As for me I like it so that there is just enough to put a playing card between the string and the 7th fret when held down by the 1st and 13th frets. that's just how I like my EBMM basses setup.

It should be noted that pretty much every different brand of guitar/bass has their own factory specs. Musicman has their recommended action as 3/32 at the 12th fret. I also use carvin basses, and they recommend 3/32 as well, but at the 24th fret, which is a BIG DIFFERENCE in string height. Fender recommends 3/32 but at the 17th fret.

So, find the action/relief that works for YOU. Also remember that especially if it is a bolt on neck, the neck may have been shimmed so that the factory setup for that brand is readily achievable. if you want to go a bunch higher or a bunch lower you may have to make changes.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

I like my neck almost straight, with low action. Capo 1st fret, finger-depress last fret, measure distance from middle fret to bottom of the string. Average distance is about the thickness of a very thin Fender pick. Its easy to adjust a bass, also easy to damage it. Gather all the info you can, there's plenty out there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo1964 View Post
    Its easy to adjust a bass, also easy to damage it.
    Hmm, not that easy. The only way you can break a truss rod is by really forcing it if it's not moving. You can't break break a neck. Truss rod adjustments are safer than making a chicken sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
    It should be noted that pretty much every different brand of guitar/bass has their own factory specs. Musicman has their recommended action as 3/32 at the 12th fret. I also use carvin basses, and they recommend 3/32 as well, but at the 24th fret, which is a BIG DIFFERENCE in string height. Fender recommends 3/32 but at the 17th fret.
    Yes, they all have slightly different ways of going about it and slightly different measurements but at the end of the day, they all come in pretty close to each other. But remember, manufacturers factory specs are a guideline, not a goal. Ideally, instruments should leave the factory consistently setup, hence the factory specifications. But as long as there is no intrusive string noise or fret buzz an the instrument is not too difficult to play you can do what you like. There is no right or wrong.

BTW, when I worked as a setup tech in the warehouse of the biggest music store here in Paris, I took note of the various manufacturer's specs, simplified them a little where necessary (see G&L's instruction sheet and you'll understand why) and taped them to the wall next to my workbench...

What's the neck relief of a MusicMan Stingray?-bass-setup-specs-jpg

You'll see that they all come out pretty close to each other. (All measurements in millimetres, action measured at 15th fret unless noted otherwise (treble/bass), pickups heights measured from bottom of string to pickup poles while pressing string at the last fret).
    Last edited by DrKev; 12-02-2013 at 05:56 AM.
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my Music Man photo albums

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service