Mariposa Green

Thread: Reflex HH - Talk to me about it!

User Info Menu

Reflex HH - Talk to me about it!

Reflex HH bass.

I've heard a lot about this bass. I've heard it can go from a Stingray/Sterling tone to a more warm vintage tone with a few button presses.

I've been tempted to get one for some years now. I've not seen one 'in the wild' in the UK, ever, and I like to try new EBMM gear (I've always been impressed).

A store has provided a great quote. No doubt the new financial year will mean this may rise, so I'm tempted to bite.

I know it will be a 5 HH, but I want to see pics and reviews :P

I'm very tempted by Tangerine Pearl/Rosewood. I personally like the feel and ease of maintenance with rosewood (although I have a few maples as well).
    2010 Stingray 5 HS White/Tort/Rw
    2011 Stingray 4 H 3 Band EQ Vintage Sunburst/Black/Mp w/flame/birdseye figuring
    2011 Big Al 5 SSS Vintage Sunburst/Tort/Rw
    2011 Sterling 5 HS Tobacco Burst/Black/Rw
    2011 Stingray 5 Classic Natural/Black/Birdseye Mp
    2012 Bongo 5 HH Tangerine Pearl/Black
    2013 Bongo 5 HS Sky Blue/Vintage White Pearl
    2013 Stingray 5 HH Honeyburst/White/Mp
    2014 Albert Lee HH Vintage Sunburst/Tort/ALL Rw!
    2016 Stingray HH Guitar Black/Black/Rw

User Info Menu

All I can say about the Music Man reflex 5 HH bass is, ...a damn good bass, almost unreal, so many sound options, perfect neck, perfect tone balance (3-way body wood construction), ...very focused tone in all switch positions, splendid 4 band EQ powered with 18V dual battery power supply, which gives any bass player a wide signal bandwidth, so any distortion is almost impossible, great ceramic splittable pickups...etc.

User Info Menu

Its awesome but has a bit of neck dive, is heavy, more complicated to change tone on the fly vs a Sterling & pretty warm with the mahogany tone block. If you really want to add to the diversity of the instrument grab a maple neck to make sure you can get some aggression. I sold my Reflex HH5 ebony for all the above reasons but wouldn't mind it if a maple one fell back into my lap!
    Sterling 5HH Honeyroasted PDN F20444 September 14th, 2012, Powered by Cobalts on July 2015

Bongo 5HH Silver F40670 October 6th, 2011, Powered by Slinkies on Jan 2015

User Info Menu

Interesting? I didn't noticed any neck dive on my 5 HH reflex???

However, if I buy a reflex bass 5 again, it would be a single H model, ...I don't know? After all these Years, I finally realized that I'm a Music Man single H guy, well, after all...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by keko View Post
    Interesting? I didn't noticed any neck dive on my 5 HH reflex???
    Hi Guys,

I have a 25th Reflex 4 HSS, and I find that mine is well balanced; no neck dive. I really like the contoured heel.
    I also like how the pickups have scalloped tabs where the screws go to rest your thumb on.

2019 Albert Lee - BFR - Electric Shimmer
    2019 Axis SS semi hollow - DuBaldo Blue - rosewood neck
    2019 StingRay fretless - BFR - Sierra Vintage Burst
    2018 Axis SS - BFR - Buckeye Burl
    2017 StingRay 5 - 30th Ann
    2013 Luke III - PDN - emerald green sparkle
    - rosewood neck
    2012 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord
    2010 Axis SS - red flame - rosewood neck
    2009 Axis - pink quilt
    2006 StingRay fretless - 30th Ann
    2000 Axis SS - Lavender Pearl
    1996 StingRay - 20th Ann
    1995 Albert Lee - Natural

User Info Menu

I had the Ebony BFR which could have been the difference with the neck dive.
    Sterling 5HH Honeyroasted PDN F20444 September 14th, 2012, Powered by Cobalts on July 2015

Bongo 5HH Silver F40670 October 6th, 2011, Powered by Slinkies on Jan 2015

User Info Menu

No neck dive with my 25th HH 5 maple neck. But the distance from your body to the nut & lower register is longer than with the other Musicman basses. Because the upper horn/strap button ist at the 15th fret, not at the 12th.
    And being humbuckers the PUs do not have the same snappiness as the Big Al SSS's singlecoils (maybe except the Bongos, whose ergonomics I tried und liked, but not had the opportunity to test their sound).
    Nevertheless the Reflex/25th HH has the most focused tone without losing the MM signature growl.

It took some weeks to get habited to the ergonomics and the tone. But now, if I had to choose, I would prefer it to my Classic Series Stingray 5, because of the more refined tone: Rehearsing with the band it is very easy to hear the fundamental of the note played. And with a fivestringer, my most often used position of the left hand is between the third and the tenth fret. This is different to using a fourstring bass.
    And of course, the variability of the electronics (though there were times I liked the plug'n'play appearance of the Stingray better). But now for me all of my Musicman instruments are plug and play.
    Last edited by BigAlis4me; 04-18-2014 at 02:35 AM.
    Big Al 4SSS olive-gold/goldswirl/rosewood
    25th anniv. 5HH quilted//maple sold
    Stingray classic 5 mint green/white/Birdseyemaple sold
    2012 PDN Stingray 4 3Bd. EQ mahogany honeyburst Roasted maple neck
    2013 PDN Bongo 5H mahogany neptun blue Roasted maple neck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tollie View Post
    Hi Guys,

I also like how the pickups have scalloped tabs where the screws go to rest your thumb on.

Funny, that's the only thing I don't like about my Bongo (and it's really a minor thing). I prefer the Stingray pickups for thumb resting.
    2014 Sterling 5H Black w/ Maple - F28653
    2001 Sterling 4H Blue Dawn w/ Maple - F04289
    2015 Stingray 4H SLO Special Black Cherry w/ Rosewood - E96203
    2011 Classic Stingray 5H Lake Tahoe Blue

User Info Menu

I have a 25th BFR rosewood 4HH. It is the best bass I own. It's the same thing as a Reflex except with a solid rosewood neck and a fancy flame top. I also have a Reflex 4HH. It is a great bass also. I have owned many EBMM basses over the years. I do not care for the single H instruments. The SR 4HH and the Bongo 4HH have been good instruments for me but not keepers. The Reflex / 25th are keepers. I'm very happy with them.

The tonal options on these basses are ridiculous. The pickup coils are selectable as neck pair, bridge pair, all, or center pair. Series or parallel. Ahead of a passive tone control or active 4 band. It's all there. It's easy to work, powerful, and well matched to the instrument.

I feel the Reflex HH is the best bass ever offered by EBMM. If I could wish for one change, I would like to try an SLO narrow neck on one. It will probably never happen and may change the bass too much, so I am quite happy with what I have. I hope you have the opportunity to play one. If you do, you will probably buy one.

FWIW - neither of my basses are neck heavy. They balance perfectly. Both weigh in at 9.5 lbs roughly. Also FWIW - I have played the 4SSH and was not as thrilled with it as I was the 4HH.

Ed Freidland has a video review on youtube. I think you can find it by keywording 'bass whisperer 25th'. He really shows all the different tones and it is worth your time to check out.

User Info Menu

I have a 25th 4HSS and a roasted neck fret-less Reflex 4HSS. Neither are neck heavy. I have owned both a 4 and 5 string 25th HH. The 5 String was not quite as balanced as the 4HH but definitely not neck heavy.

For me the HSS got me the combinations of sounds I wanted (I play in a rock/pop cover band) but both HH's where very versatile and sounded great!
    Bongo 4H, Black Sugar, Roasted Neck, Ebony
    Reflex
    4HSS, Black Sugar, Roasted Neck, Fretless Ebony

25th Ann. 4HSS, Ven. Red, Rosewood