EBMM Stingray bass blue
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: As a guitar player of 9 years, what Music Man bass would you recommend for me?

User Info Menu

As a guitar player of 9 years, what Music Man bass would you recommend for me?

Hello everyone!

I am a guitarist who has been playing for nine years, and I would like to ask all of you:

What Music Man basses would you recommend for me as an inexperienced bassist?

I've been looking into Bongos, specifically the 6 string model. Would getting a 6 string be too much for a beginner?

The reason I've been thinking about that one is because I am a huge Dream Theater fan, and John Myung is amazing!

I value everyone's opinions. Thank you, in advance.

User Info Menu

As a guitar player for 20 years and a bass player even more a Stingray 4 or 5 should be a very comfortable transition. I'd lean 4 simply because of the low E orientation. Adding the low B can add an unnecessary level of confusion early on. Lots of folks doing great work without the B string so you won't be missing much to start off.
    2016 Axis Super Sport Trans Gold w/ Maple Neck
    1997 Axis Sport HSS Kandy Lime w/ Maple Neck

User Info Menu

I would recommend a Sterling 4 string.
    Thinner neck and body

User Info Menu

Well, since you are new at the bass, I think a Bongo is perfect! You haven't become acclimated to any particular instrument yet.

User Info Menu

Depends on what you are willing to play.... a bongo 6 is cool for dream theater style music. But will you use the bass for this? If you are a pretty skilled guitar player then mayebe this is the way to go for you! But imo the sr4 is an instant classic and must have for every musicman lover, especially the classic series is a must have for me.... best advice here is to try some out for yourself. Sr4 is pretty straight forward while bongo or sterling is more versatile. Its all up to you
    1977 stingray II guitar--walnut------------maple fb
    1994 stingray 4H---------natural------------rosewood fb
    1998 sterling 4H----------trans red---------birdseye maple/rw
    2006 Jp6---------------------mystic dream--birdseye maple/rw
    2010 Classic sr4----------coral red---------birdseye maple
    2013 Luke III HSS--------olive gold--------rosewood neck
    2014 stingray 4 HH-----neptune blue---flamed maple
    2014 Luke III HSS--------bodhi blue-------birdseye maple/rw

User Info Menu

Go to your local store and spend some time with a few different models. Maybe more than one afternoon, and find which model feels right for YOU. What's right for others may not be what's the best for you. I would look at the Sterling 4 as an option because of the thin neck.
    John

Fender 500C + 210

User Info Menu

Personally I would say the bongo.
    "Welcome to the addiction!" is now patented by Koogie2k......if used by anyone other than Koogie2k....you must mail him a US nickel for each time said/typed or signed.......

A WISE AND RESPECTED MAN TOLD ME:

"Do something nice for someone everyday. Don't let your head hit the pillow until you do something nice for someone each day." I hope I don't let him down.

User Info Menu

This !!
    I made a similar transition a while back , and I would say a Sterling 4 String all the way. Smaller body and neck make for an easy transition.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangejulius3 View Post
    I would recommend a Sterling 4 string.
    Thinner neck and body
    Please Visit & Like ............

MUSIC MAN EVH Guitars

http://goo.gl/kDQMns

User Info Menu

Another vote for a Sterling 4. The HS model will give you plenty of quick tone change options, much like most guitars.

User Info Menu

Sterling 4HS in my book is the best value out there for a US made bass. Slightly downsized neck and body might make it a little more comfortable for a guitar player transitioning.

Go to a few local music stores (hopefully you have some!) and try as many different brands and models as you can to get a sense of the different feels. And sounds.

But you can't go wrong with a Sterling as far as flexibility, playability, and overall awesomeness!
    D
    Music Man, Lakland, Eden, Fender, Barefaced
    ---
    EBMM '99 Sterling 4H (Trans.gold/rosewood)
    EBMM '97 Sterling 4H Fretless (Natural Velvet)
    EBMM '07 Sterling 4HH (Dargie's Delight I)

User Info Menu

bongo 6, live a little

User Info Menu

I'm a DT fan as well and bought a Bongo 6 HH because of that (was my first EBMM instrument). I really loved it, but after about a year I realized that I rarely used the high C string. It was cool for chords and solos and noodling around, but the music I play publicly never called for that stuff. I ended up selling it for a Bongo 5 HH, and later got a Sterling 5 HS, both of which are awesome.

My first bass was a 5 string so I've always been used to having the low B there. And no, it's not difficult to go back and forth between bass and guitar, you'll get used to it.
    Sterling 5 HS Natural with all Rosewood Neck F43443 2/25/14
    Bongo 5 HH Black F22301 9/18/08
    Reflex White G51604 10/25/10

User Info Menu

if you play 7 string guitar without any problems you could get a 5 string and it would be no adjustment at all
    if you struggle with a 7 string you will probably do the same with a 5

go try some basses if you can. what appeals to me might not be your cuppa tea

ps.. if you dont play beavertail bass (aka slapping) a dual pickup bass will give you more sounds to choose from.
    i like my bongo 4hh for its versatility. just pan between the pickups untill you find what you like

that said i absolutely love my bongo 4h.. slap on some flatwounds and experience thump from here to heaven
    if you play more modern stuff you might wanna go roundwound, perhaps even with the cobalts.
    should give you plenty top end to cut through

hth

MrM
    flats for the bongo!
    roundwounds for the fretless!

eb customer support:
    E-mail: musicman_customerservice@ernieball.com
    Telephone: +1 866-823-2255

trussrod adjustment:
    Click here for an image!
    less relief / flatter = lower action
    more relief / bow = higher action
    do NOT use cheap tools to adjust with. they break and scrape up your bass!

if you have a 100th namm sr4: the truss works the other way around on those!

i have no affiliation with eb other than i love their basses

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jlepre View Post
    Go to your local store and spend some time with a few different models. Maybe more than one afternoon, and find which model feels right for YOU. What's right for others may not be what's the best for you. I would look at the Sterling 4 as an option because of the thin neck.
    +1.
    2014 Sterling 5H Black w/ Maple - F28653
    2001 Sterling 4H Blue Dawn w/ Maple - F04289
    2015 Stingray 4H SLO Special Black Cherry w/ Rosewood - E96203
    2011 Classic Stingray 5H Lake Tahoe Blue

User Info Menu

Bongo!