Mariposa Green
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This might take a while...

User Info Menu

Cool This might take a while...

But, I can't wait to hear these monsters all set up with new strings. I'll be sure to make some sound files to compare the Cobalt rounds and flats since they will be on basses with comparable setups.

This might take a while...-image-jpg
    slightly out of date pic
    http://www.ernieball.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic1436_1.gif

l to r:

Franken-Bongo 5 HHp (The Billy Bass), refinished fretted cigar leaf satin finish neck, daphne blue, mint pickguard, EB Cobalts.

Dargie Delight Bongo 5 SHp, fretted, Dargie, b/w/b pickgaurd, Dargie. Ernie Ball straplocks. Flats.

Franken-Bongo 5 SHp (Moby, the White Whale), refinished vintage gloss unlined fretless neck, white, tort pickguard, EB Cobalts.

User Info Menu

Cool. Looking forward to hearing your impressions of the Cobalt flats. My new Big Al came to me with Cobalts but I will consider changing them out for Cobalt flats when the time comes.

1998 Sterling 4H honeyburst lined fretless
    2006 30th Anniversary Stingray
    2014 Bongo 4HSp neptune blue w/roasted maple neck
    2014 Big Al 4SSS inca silver w/full rosewood neck

User Info Menu

love to hear your feedback
    Two requests, please
    Please contact customer service prior to posting instrument issues
    Please don't PM me
    Thanks

Please dont add me as a friend on facebook....my life is an open book here as it is.

User Info Menu

Where did you find a set of 5 string cobalt flats? Thanks

User Info Menu

I got two sets from bassstringsonline.com and one set from musicians friend.
    slightly out of date pic

l to r:

Franken-Bongo 5 HHp (The Billy Bass), refinished fretted cigar leaf satin finish neck, daphne blue, mint pickguard, EB Cobalts.

Dargie Delight Bongo 5 SHp, fretted, Dargie, b/w/b pickgaurd, Dargie. Ernie Ball straplocks. Flats.

Franken-Bongo 5 SHp (Moby, the White Whale), refinished vintage gloss unlined fretless neck, white, tort pickguard, EB Cobalts.

User Info Menu

I threw a set on my single H bongo and played them at practice last night - all I can say is WOW!
    In an endless quest to find a white Reflex 5H...

User Info Menu

I'm looking forward to trying these new flats out, too.

User Info Menu

Cobalt Slinky Flatwounds are the chit.
    In an endless quest to find a white Reflex 5H...

User Info Menu

I historically hate flats with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns, but the new EB flats are amazing!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steve4765630 View Post
    I historically hate flats with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns, but the new EB flats are amazing!
    That is my attitude towards flats but very intrigued by them, enough to want to try them anyways

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

User Info Menu

buy one set of flats and you are set for quite some time..

i cant wait to try them too. hopefully export will commence soon

MrM
    flats for the bongo!
    roundwounds for the fretless!

eb customer support:
    E-mail: musicman_customerservice@ernieball.com
    Telephone: +1 866-823-2255

trussrod adjustment:
    Click here for an image!
    less relief / flatter = lower action
    more relief / bow = higher action
    do NOT use cheap tools to adjust with. they break and scrape up your bass!

if you have a 100th namm sr4: the truss works the other way around on those!

i have no affiliation with eb other than i love their basses

User Info Menu

I finally got my set and put them on my fretless (Bongo Hp). Compared to the Chromes which I had on their previously I would say that they definitely have a deeper, more pronounced bottom end and are also brighter on the top end. When playing some open notes I can definitely hear a kind of round-wound tone there - maybe more like a slightly worn-in round-wound. The mids are still there but maybe less pronounced due to the increase in bottom and top end.

Long story short...I like the tone a lot.

However, one thing that I didn't expect to find is that they seem to be more grippy than the chromes I was using. That is, I find they have more friction when sliding my finger up an down the neck which makes it harder to do my normal vibrato as my fingers tend to grip the string more than I want. Not sure it this will change as they break in - I hope so.

That's about it.

Bongo 5H, BFR Roasted, Black Sugar
    Bongo 5Hp Fretless, Mahogany, Roasted, Honey Burst

User Info Menu

I just threw a set of Cobalt flats on my Stingray SLO this past weekend and the "grippiness" is something I noticed, too. I like the tone but that "grippiness" might be a deal-breaker for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stu42 View Post
    However, one thing that I didn't expect to find is that they seem to be more grippy than the chromes I was using. That is, I find they have more friction when sliding my finger up an down the neck which makes it harder to do my normal vibrato as my fingers tend to grip the string more than I want. Not sure it this will change as they break in - I hope so.
    I've noticed that, too. I wasn't pleased with that part. I have Chromes on my Bongo, and it's much easier to slide. I haven't played the EBMM's much, but I haven't noticed any change as of yet. Maybe with more play?
    2014 Sterling 5H Black w/ Maple - F28653
    2001 Sterling 4H Blue Dawn w/ Maple - F04289
    2015 Stingray 4H SLO Special Black Cherry w/ Rosewood - E96203
    2011 Classic Stingray 5H Lake Tahoe Blue

User Info Menu

Having used them for a couple of weeks, the stickiness has subsided for me. My problem is that they keep ripping the hair out of my forearm by the bridge. I actually have a bald spot on my arm from them. But. the tone is pretty awesome. I have a couple of recordings that I'll post soon. Really. Work has been a bitch recently.
    slightly out of date pic

l to r: