Ernie Ball Paradigm

Thread: Classic Sabre

Classic Sabre

So, I got a Classic Sabre last month - gloss black with heavily flamed maple neck. It weighs just over nine pounds, is unblemished. Sounds incredible. But I sort of find myself wanting to sell it because it is almost too good a bass for me. Is that crazy??

That's crazy. Far to few people play really good instruments. If you happen to own one, count yourself blessed and enjoy.

You're right. I own the Sabre and a really great G&L LB-100 and almost feel like my station in life as a player doesn't merit two incredible instruments. I think I will hang on to them and look for a great Sterling 5, though, and really mess up my outlook!

Yes! Even if you buy basses just to look at them (just making a statement),

Your money, your call.

My brother is not Evil Kenival. But he owns a Harley. My neighbor isn't Tiger Woods, but he owns a $2,500 set of golf clubs. Don't let your happiness be defined by your perceived capabilities. You bought it. You love it. So keep it and play it.
    Last edited by jazzyitalian; 04-17-2016 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzyitalian View Post
    My brother is not Evil Kenival. But he owns a Harley. My neighbor isn't Tiger Woods, but he owns a $2,500 set of golf clubs. Don't let your happiness be defined by your perceived capabilities. You bought it. You love it. So keep it and play it.
    poetry in my ears!

and i agree. keep it and play it

MrM
    flats for the bongo!
    roundwounds for the fretless!

eb customer support:
    E-mail: musicman_customerservice@ernieball.com
    Telephone: +1 866-823-2255

trussrod adjustment:
    Click here for an image!
    less relief / flatter = lower action
    more relief / bow = higher action
    do NOT use cheap tools to adjust with. they break and scrape up your bass!

if you have a 100th namm sr4: the truss works the other way around on those!

i have no affiliation with eb other than i love their basses

That's not crazy at all. It's a totally normal feeling and you should act on it. Send the bass to me, I'll give you 100 bucks for it, and your problem will be solved!

Tom

I'm glad there's no rule about having to display X amount of talent to own great basses.

I'd have a crappy Indonesian Squier and one of those Warwick battery powered bass amps.

Strange perspective.

====================================
    141-DD-76-01 Bongo
    111-L5-5M-01 SR

Hi!
    Finally got myself a Sabre Classic. I wanted a sabre since The 80's, But never found a decently priced one before now.
    Nice instrument.. comfortable, and The bridge pickup screems MUSIC MAN!
    Only problem is...
    The neck pickup is really low in volume compared with bridge pickup.(roughly I'd say 1/2 the volume)
    I opened The bass to check The wiring and The pickup, But everything seems perfect...

Anyone here Had that problem?
    I guess it's gonna be rather difficult to get a replacement pickup also, since this is the 16 pole, and the classic Sabre is out of production...

I'm happy for all replies!
    Thanks

Try contacting customer service

musicman_customerservice@ernieball.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bassbiter View Post
    Hi!
    Finally got myself a Sabre Classic. I wanted a sabre since The 80's, But never found a decently priced one before now.
    Nice instrument.. comfortable, and The bridge pickup screems MUSIC MAN!
    Only problem is...
    The neck pickup is really low in volume compared with bridge pickup.(roughly I'd say 1/2 the volume)
    I opened The bass to check The wiring and The pickup, But everything seems perfect...

Anyone here Had that problem?
    I guess it's gonna be rather difficult to get a replacement pickup also, since this is the 16 pole, and the classic Sabre is out of production...

I'm happy for all replies!
    Thanks
    Only owned an Pre-Ernie Sabre, the front pickup was slightly quiter but not 1/2 the volume. Check the pickup height.
    Plug the sabre to an amp all knobs full open, take a small scerwdriver and tab against the pole pieces.
    You should hear an even loud pop by hitting the pole pieces. Just to make sure each coil is intact.
    1979 StingRay natural maple

I too recently bought a sledge sabre and had the same observation on pickups volume. I checked the "sweetwater" video demo of the classic sabre with different PUP selector settings and it seems this volume change is the same for all classic sabres as far as I can judge. Someone on a french forum said he raised the neck PUP to about the same level as the bridge one. I did that and indeed it reasonably works. I haven't had much time to investigate (gone on vacation since) but I have to test this solution (interaction with strings as first sabres did ? what about the sound of setting 2/3 with both PUPs ?).

I'm curious to know what answers you got.

Francois.