EBMM Stingray bass blue
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Discontinued Music Man list. October 31. 2015

User Info Menu

A wise choice to listen to your customers, they speak with their currency as stated, so bring on the crazy new stuff for us to drool on. Out of curiosity has the idea of opening up the "parts " side of the business (necks, bridges, pickups etc) ever a consideration, or is it more of a case that side of things is not in the company ethos?
    "Can't talk little man? Betcha can't play none either"

User Info Menu

I'm really looking forward to the new offerings. Kudos to EBMM for continuing to improve their product, with the performing bassist always in mind. I've been a StingRay owner for over 20 years, and I can honestly say the introduction of 2 pickup models a few years ago was a major, major step forward. Other updates, like the new nut design and the feel of the fingerboard edges have been great, too. The two-pickup introduction was massive, though. I'm looking forward to what is coming, whether it be major steps or nice minor ones.

I'm glad to see the Sterling continue, too. Even though I am a longtime Stingray owner, getting my first Sterling was a big deal for me, it's now my favorite bass ever. The neck profile is just perfect. I looked long and hard at the Big Al, since it shares a similar thin neck profile, and because the passive pickups and other electronic options are really interesting, but I couldn't get past the looks of it.

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to the new stuff a lot.
    1997 Stingray 4 - Trans Red, Rosewood
    2007 Stingray 4HS - Black, Maple
    2009 Sterling 4HS - Trans Gold, Maple
    2017 StingRay 4 HH SLO Special - Powder Blue, Maple

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
    Everything we discontinued was a valid choice...in the end the customers voted with their dollar and didnt buy the stuff.
    But why did the customer not buy the Reflex and Big Al?
    I suppose you need to know, before you start thinking of anything new.
    I'm sure you're not running a trial and error business.

Also:
    With bringing out new products, doesn't that mean that people who buy a Reflex, won't buy (for example) a Stingray?
    That does not increase revenue.
    Or is the main focus (outside of making excellent gear) to increase overall market-share?
    Seems to me that customers who want to own every MM bass out there is limited to a very few (like me) only.

Just friendly wondering
    All the best
    Michel
    Last edited by mdstingray; 08-11-2015 at 12:56 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mdstingray View Post
    But why did the customer not buy the Reflex and Big Al?
    I suppose you need to know, before you start thinking of anything new.
    I'm sure you're not running a trial and error business.

Also:
    With bringing out new products, doesn't that mean that people who buy a Reflex, won't buy (for example) a Stingray?
    That does not increase revenue.
    Or is the main focus (outside of making excellent gear) to increase overall market-share?
    Seems to me that customers who want to own every MM bass out there is limited to a very few (like me) only.

Just friendly wondering
    All the best
    Michel
    I think the complex ellectronics on both basses where a big holdback for manny players out there who are used to the regular bass controlls. 4 band eq, series/paralel, active/passive, manny pickup options,.... might be too much for alot of people out there. Add to that the "weird" shape of the big al and the higher pricing than the stingray and i can understand why id did not sell. Never the less, if i ever have some cash left and find a cool big al, i wouldnt hesitate.
    1977 stingray II guitar--walnut------------maple fb
    1994 stingray 4H---------natural------------rosewood fb
    1998 sterling 4H----------trans red---------birdseye maple/rw
    2006 Jp6---------------------mystic dream--birdseye maple/rw
    2010 Classic sr4----------coral red---------birdseye maple
    2013 Luke III HSS--------olive gold--------rosewood neck
    2014 stingray 4 HH-----neptune blue---flamed maple
    2014 Luke III HSS--------bodhi blue-------birdseye maple/rw

User Info Menu

Forgive me if I'm still confused. Will there be NO piezo option on Stingray 4 or 5 basses in the future, not even on the fretless models? I LOVE the piezo sound on my Stingray5H fretless.
    Last edited by shastaband; 08-11-2015 at 01:53 PM.

User Info Menu

I believe that is what they are saying. Piezo options are, unfortunately, prone to problems and not extremely popular.

As for the colors, I have always been amazed that EBMM has been able to offer such a wide variety of colors at any given time, given their high quality. however in the end I think the most popular colors are still things like black and white, maybe with tobacco sunburst and a few choice metallic colors.

I can't wait to see what new guitars/basses are coming out.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple fretboard / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood Fretboard/ 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Signature Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

Piezo will no longer be an option on the Stingray line. We always have the option to resurrect any model or option for future limited runs. If enough people want it we will make it!
    "Scott Moreno"

User Info Menu

Dargin... You mentioned new bass models, I am curious. Can we get a teaser?? I'm betting 5 string Sabre. JOSH

CLASSIC STINGRAY White (MHS)
    CAPRICE Natural
    Former owner of...
    BONGO - 4HH (Rolls Burgandy), 4Hp ("Small EQ"/Medallion Gold), 4H (Ice Blue), 5HSp (White), 4H (Black Sugar), 4H (PDN Honey Burst), 4H (PDN Tobacco Burst)
    STINGRAY - 4H (30TH), 4H (Dargie Delight), 4H (VSB/BFR RW Neck), 5H (08 LE)
    STERLING - 4HH (Dargie Delight), 4H (Stealth), 4HS (Natural)
    25TH - 5HH (Venetian Red)
    BIG AL - 4SSS (Olive Gold)

Musicman Cutlass/Caprice Bass Club on Facebook.

User Info Menu

So since the Reflex is going away, does that mean the Game Changer Reflex guitars and basses are also going away?

User Info Menu

Classic Sabre is gone or just limited colors?
    2008 Sterling 4H - Honey Burst / RW
    2008 Sterling 5H - Honey Burst / RW
    2013 Classic Sabre - Natural / RW
    2013 Sterling 5H - Sterling Silver / RW
    2014 Classic Sabre - Honey Burst / RW

User Info Menu

Sad to see them go. I love both my HP EBMMs. I can bring warmth in and out of the mix without futzing with my volume and EQ controls.

====================================
    141-DD-76-01 Bongo
    111-L5-5M-01 SR

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JayDawg View Post
    So since the Reflex is going away, does that mean the Game Changer Reflex guitars and basses are also going away?
    The Game Changers are staying. The other Reflexes will be discontinued.

Quote Originally Posted by bradfordws View Post
    Classic Sabre is gone or just limited colors?
    The Classic Sabre will be discontinued.
    "Hello! This is A.J.! How can I help you?"

If you have any questions or concerns please email me: aj@ernieball.com

PMs and messages written on my wall are not addressed as quickly as emails.

If you want to know when your instrument was completed please post in one of the serial number threads.

User Info Menu

I guess this is more "wait and hope" than an actual question, but is there any chance of the Reflex/Big Al electronics surfacing in another instrument, like the Bongo, somewhere down the line? The passive mode on those instruments is a nice evolution of the Bongo pre-amp, and it would be cool to see the HSS and SSS configurations continue on in some form.
    Last edited by Tom F; 08-12-2015 at 08:24 AM.

User Info Menu

woohoo my bongo stealth pearl just became a rarity

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    The Classic Sabre will be discontinued.
    Oh! Then I misunderstood the listing posted above. I thought only 4 of the currently offered colours would be discontinued. Very sad about this. I was still hoping for a 5-Sting version of the Sabre. But as mentioned before: It is the customer's money that decides about a model's fate and I assume that many more dollars have been spent on StingRay HHs as compared to Sabres.
    2015 StingRay 5, White, maple
    2011 StingRayBass 5 Classic, Tobacco Burst, birdseye maple
    2013 Fender Am Std Jazz Bass V, Mystic Blue, maple
    2017 Sandberg VM5, Natural, maple