Ernie Ball Cables
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Discontinued Music Man list. October 31. 2015

User Info Menu

While saddened to see the Big Al go, I totally respect this decision. BP is right, if customers aren't buying them, no use selling them. I'm very interested to see what's next. And let's not forget, there are always PDN offerings for cool colors that you don't normally get.
    2014 Sterling 5H Black w/ Maple - F28653
    2001 Sterling 4H Blue Dawn w/ Maple - F04289
    2015 Stingray 4H SLO Special Black Cherry w/ Rosewood - E96203
    2011 Classic Stingray 5H Lake Tahoe Blue

User Info Menu

Yes. But think of the customers that are not living in the USA.

There have been only a few Reflex and Big Al on the german market, so it was not easy to get one in the configuration you liked. For example if there are still some Reflex HH, but you can't find one in HSS.

Same story with the Big Al. Not much basses available in Europe.

Next thing is, that most shops in the USA will not ship to Europe.

I know some people that would have loved to get the bass of their choice. But german distributor just went the easy way, only Rays and Sterlings available.
    Stingray 5, Natural Finish 1995
    Stingray 5, "Mikki", Trans Orange 1999
    Stingray 4, 3-bd-eq Honeyburst 2005
    Stingray 5 Classic, Tobaccoburst 2010
    BigAl 5 SSS, Blue Pearl 2010
    Bongo 5 HH, Sterling Silver, All Rosewood Neck 2014

R.I.P Mikki
    Play more bass!
    Don't ever tell a bass player he's too loud Sayeth the Lord.

User Info Menu

No doubt EBMM makes the highest quality production basses on the market. I never understood how quality control could keep up with the number of product lines, colors and options available. It must have been an unbelievable strain on resources. I personally would rather have less options and high quality versus a ton of options and risk some not so great instruments slipping through to market.

EBMM is one of only a few makers out there who I feel completely confident in buying sight unseen. If pairing down colors and options is what needs to be done to stay that way, I'm all for it.

Notifying everyone of the upcoming changes is also an excellent move. No surprises and it gives people a generous window to place orders if there is something they truly want that's on the discontinued list.

User Info Menu

So on the discontinued colors, what happens if you send a bass or guitar back to EBMM to get a body or neck replaced in one of those colors?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JayDawg View Post
    So on the discontinued colors, what happens if you send a bass or guitar back to EBMM to get a body or neck replaced in one of those colors?
    Well, it's just paint but let's face it, that doesn't happen very often.

User Info Menu

I'm sure that ebmm keeps all their colour codes pretty carefully so they should be able to mix up discontinued colours.
    1977 stingray II guitar--walnut------------maple fb
    1994 stingray 4H---------natural------------rosewood fb
    1998 sterling 4H----------trans red---------birdseye maple/rw
    2006 Jp6---------------------mystic dream--birdseye maple/rw
    2010 Classic sr4----------coral red---------birdseye maple
    2013 Luke III HSS--------olive gold--------rosewood neck
    2014 stingray 4 HH-----neptune blue---flamed maple
    2014 Luke III HSS--------bodhi blue-------birdseye maple/rw

User Info Menu

I have always used Music Man as an example of how to treat left handed players but with the change to only selling the Stingray in H configuration & now discontinuing the whole Bongo range it seems that has now changed.
    Looking at the list, there doesn't seem to be many options for left handers in guitars or basses.

User Info Menu

That is a very cool guitar strap on that Dargie!

Quote Originally Posted by syciprider View Post
    Sad to see them go. I love both my HP EBMMs. I can bring warmth in and out of the mix without futzing with my volume and EQ controls.

User Info Menu

Since I like the pointy thing - I was actually very interested in the Big Al. But the bass was just too tiny for me. Big Poppa once referred to "The Big Bass" buyers and I guess I am one. Even the 1.75 nut feels small - I like a 1.86 with graduated string spacing.

So - where am i going with this? There are so many people out there with so many opinions that a company could go crazy trying to please all - unless you are total custom shop like a private luthier. In the end the only way to make these fine basses in the USA with affordable prices is to keep volume going.

So - it is sad to see stuff go - but I agree that the only way to keep other stuff coming is to make the tuff decisions. (Just don't stop making 5 string Bongos ;-)

- Ziggy -

Quote Originally Posted by mdstingray View Post
    But why did the customer not buy the Reflex and Big Al?
    I suppose you need to know, before you start thinking of anything new.
    I'm sure you're not running a trial and error business.

Also:
    With bringing out new products, doesn't that mean that people who buy a Reflex, won't buy (for example) a Stingray?
    That does not increase revenue.
    Or is the main focus (outside of making excellent gear) to increase overall market-share?
    Seems to me that customers who want to own every MM bass out there is limited to a very few (like me) only.

Just friendly wondering
    All the best
    Michel

User Info Menu

EB still offers more colors and bass models than just about all major US manufacturers in this region except the one in San Diego and the one in Fullerton and half the latter's line up are just copies of models also made by another company in Corona and about 2 billion other bass makers.

====================================
    141-DD-76-01 Bongo
    111-L5-5M-01 SR

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JayDawg View Post
    We have always been able to accommodate these types of replacements. No worries there!
    "Hello! This is A.J.! How can I help you?"

If you have any questions or concerns please email me: aj@ernieball.com

PMs and messages written on my wall are not addressed as quickly as emails.

If you want to know when your instrument was completed please post in one of the serial number threads.

User Info Menu

So my two MM basses are discontinued. I hope that they bring back the blue color (I think it was electric blue) that Dave Larue uses on his basses.

25th Anniversary BFR (#11 of 25)
    Bongo 6 (sterling silver / black PG)

User Info Menu

Of the handful of peeps that I encouraged to go
    for the piezos, I know that wasn't enuf to keep
    them in production, but at least that handful got
    their piezo before it was too late. Only got six of
    them myself .... which shoulda warned anyone
    who read my sig that only weirdos want piezos.

Piezos CAN be finicky, whether it's the individual
    saddles [like EBMM] or the single bone type [like
    typical flat top ABGs], but I've always found the
    EBMM piezo basses to be the most trouble-free.

`
    Last edited by Golem; 08-22-2015 at 12:43 PM.
    S.U.B. SL4 - SR4p FL [x2] - SR4HH FL [Moses neck]
    SL4p FL [x2] - SL4HS FL - SL4HS FL [Moses neck]
    SR5HS alnico - SR5p FL ceramic [x2] - Bongo4Hp FL

"Too many basses is never enuf"

Golem is NOT engaged in social networks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dargin View Post
    We are streamlining our current roster to make room for all the new guitars and basses we have coming out.

So any hint when the new bass models info will be available?
    2004 EBMM Bongo 5HH Desert Gold w/ Orange Swirl PG
    1983 Music Man StingRay Bass Black&Maple

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Transmogrifier1 View Post
    I have always used Music Man as an example of how to treat left handed players but with the change to only selling the Stingray in H configuration & now discontinuing the whole Bongo range it seems that has now changed.
    Looking at the list, there doesn't seem to be many options for left handers in guitars or basses.
    Where did they say the Stingray would only be available in H configuration for the lefties? Also I don't see anything besides the lefty bongo being discontinued. I would guess that the vast majority of basses that EBMM sells are Stingrays and Sterlings, and those seem to be available with just about all options in the lefty version.

Unless I missed something?
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple fretboard / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood Fretboard/ 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Signature Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck