Joe Dart
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My First Musicman Bass

User Info Menu

My First Musicman Bass

So, after a TON of problems with my Warwick bass and a terrible customer service experience, I made the switch to Musicman. Best choice I've ever made.
    I bought the Bongo 5HH Stealth Pearl White. And WOW. This thing has blown me away. I can't wait to spend countless hours playing this thing.
    Ernie Ball Musicman has won a customer for life.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My First Musicman Bass-bongo-jpg  

User Info Menu

Congrats and welcome to the fold!

2018 Bongo 5 HH Barolo
    2010 Big Al 5 SSS Sterling Silver
    2016 Caprice Heritage Tobacco
    2007 Sterling 4 HS Dargie Delight
    2013 Sterling 4 HH Sapphire Black
    2014 Sterling 5 HH Vintage Sunburst
    2019 Stingray Short Scale Ultra Marine Blue

2011 Silhouette HSH Candy Apple Red
    2011 Silhouette HSH Vintage Sunburst
    2016 Cutlass SSS Ivory White
    2016 Valentine Trans Buttermilk

User Info Menu

Welcome aboard, nice to have another Bongoista amongst us.

User Info Menu

Mmm, Bongo...

2004 EBMM Bongo 5HH Desert Gold w/ Orange Swirl PG
    1983 Music Man StingRay Bass Black&Maple

User Info Menu

That SPW Bongo looks really nice, Brooksie!

Welcome to the family.
    25th Anniversary 5HH Quilt Top, RW board, DOB - 5/1/09
    BFR SR5 HH Honeyburst, Roasted Maple Neck, DOB - 10/22/10
    Bongo 5HS, Blue Pearl, RW board, Custom Pickguard, DOB - 04/11/12
    Bongo 5HHp Mahogany, Roasted, Honeyburst, DOB - 9/14/12
    Bongo 5Hp Fretless, Neptune Blue, Pau Ferro board, Black Pearloid pg

Ampeg SVT-450H
    SVT-410HLF
    Boss GT-10B
    Bassist for The Dave Morrow Band
    Some of our songs on myspace

User Info Menu

Welcome. I have the same bass with a single humbecker. It's a killer!
    Buncha Rays and Bongos

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Brooksie View Post
    So, after a TON of problems with my Warwick bass and a terrible customer service experience, I made the switch to Musicman. Best choice I've ever made.
    I bought the Bongo 5HH Stealth Pearl White. And WOW. This thing has blown me away. I can't wait to spend countless hours playing this thing.
    Hmmm. HH! SMART choice!
    LOCK it in the POCKET

User Info Menu

Good news is I finally got a ray for xmas.....the bad news is i had to pay for it myself...........any advice on tone shaping would be appreciated......it has flats and i will likely keep them on for a while as a quick sound check through a ss carvin amp sounded way better than i thought it would,though i wanted it for "that" ray sound using rounds .....i have an svt,a boogie 400+ or a older v4b in the tube department....boogie ph610 or a 2 x k140's sunn clone

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DOCTOR BEAKER View Post
    Good news is I finally got a ray for xmas.....the bad news is i had to pay for it myself...........any advice on tone shaping would be appreciated......it has flats and i will likely keep them on for a while as a quick sound check through a ss carvin amp sounded way better than i thought it would,though i wanted it for "that" ray sound using rounds .....i have an svt,a boogie 400+ or a older v4b in the tube department....boogie ph610 or a 2 x k140's sunn clone
    What pickup config did you get? I can see your tone settings for an HH or HS with all coils in use being way different than for an H (or an HH or HS using just bridge coils).

I'm guessing the 400+ into the PH610 will probably do it for you, if you don't mind the tonnage during load-in/out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nhbassguitar View Post
    What pickup config did you get? I can see your tone settings for an HH or HS with all coils in use being way different than for an H (or an HH or HS using just bridge coils).

I'm guessing the 400+ into the PH610 will probably do it for you, if you don't mind the tonnage during load-in/out.
    the 400+ is a lightweight compared to the svt,but i don't gig any more so no biggie...ph 610 is a real tank tho'......it's a single p/u eb ray 4 with vol,bass, mid, and treble controls.....even came in henry ford's favorite color....."any color you want as long as it's black"(on black).....so far the build quality has been a real eye opener,as i always had fenders,and the odd ric before....i am impressed...plays like buttah....... as the real doc beaker would say "satisfactory,most satisfactory"...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DOCTOR BEAKER View Post
    the 400+ is a lightweight compared to the svt,but i don't gig any more so no biggie...ph 610 is a real tank tho'......it's a single p/u eb ray 4 with vol,bass, mid, and treble controls.....even came in henry ford's favorite color....."any color you want as long as it's black"(on black).....so far the build quality has been a real eye opener,as i always had fenders,and the odd ric before....i am impressed...plays like buttah....... as the real doc beaker would say "satisfactory,most satisfactory"...
    I really like SRs in black. I almost got that color instead of white because I was worried about too much "pop" under the lights. But Sweetwater (my exclusive dealer) didn't have the black one I wanted in stock, and the red one I had my eye on when I finally made the jump was gone ("Missed it by that much" -- Maxwell Smart), so I went with white. Then a day after I order the white, SW has a black and a red in stock again.

Anyway, a couple of H players I know dime the bass control and back off some on the treble and mid, as a general purpose rock setting. I'm not inferring that's what every H player does, or even what you should do, but it might be a good starting point. Also remember -- generally speaking -- that tone cuts are at least as important as tone boosts, and often get you closer to the sound you're looking for.

Eh, it's all gonna change as the strings age anyway, just like any other BG.

Enjoy your new black! I'm still waiting for the white truck here, hands sweatin' like I'm all dressed & ready to leave for the hottest date of my life. Hope they don't stand me up.

User Info Menu

never played a bongo, this color looks great...

User Info Menu

Congrats and welcome to the forum.

2019 Albert Lee - BFR - Electric Shimmer
    2019 Axis SS semi hollow - DuBaldo Blue - rosewood neck
    2019 StingRay fretless - BFR - Sierra Vintage Burst
    2018 Axis SS - BFR - Buckeye Burl
    2017 StingRay 5 - 30th Ann
    2013 Luke III - PDN - emerald green sparkle
    - rosewood neck
    2012 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord
    2010 Axis SS - red flame - rosewood neck
    2009 Axis - pink quilt
    2006 StingRay fretless - 30th Ann
    2000 Axis SS - Lavender Pearl
    1996 StingRay - 20th Ann
    1995 Albert Lee - Jim Messina’s

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Brooksie View Post
    Yep its gets you like that! and you have chosen a very nice place to start, welcome

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005.LE
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    Bongo 5HH. Firemist Purple. 2019
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

User Info Menu

I ordered a Bongo 4 HSp back in October through Sweetwater. I was given a date of 2/5/16. That has passed and now I'm being told 3/11. Does anyone have any idea why a standard, off-the-shelf bass would take five months to ship? Are there significant production problems at Musicman?