Ernie Ball Paradigm
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cutlass & Caprice basses

I'm not so sure about that neck comparison. This is what I have from my notes:

Bongo neck profile:
    Number of frets: 24
    Scale: 25.5" (64.8 cm) (Probably a typo since this seems to line up more with a guitar)
    Radius: 11"
    Width at nut: 1 5/8" (41.3 mm)
    Width at last fret: 2 9/16" (65.1 mm)

Cutlass neck profile:
    Number of frets: 21
    Scale: 34" (86.4 cm)
    Radius: 7"
    Width at nut: 1 5/8" (41.3 mm)
    Width at last fret: 2 15/32" (62.7 mm)

(The "width at last fret" specs probably can't be directly compared since the Bongo has 24 frets and the Cutlass 21.)

Anyway, my guess is the difference in radius is going to make these basses feel at least somewhat dissimilar. It's not a huge difference, but it is non-trivial. I know some players who do fine on a 7 or 9 but really struggle with an 11 until they get accustomed. Not the other way around, IME: I know no players who are used to an 11 who can't immediately work a 7 or 9 with zero additional effort.

Since we don't bend strings or do barre chords that much, the radius isn't really a biggie IMO. I used to bounce back and forth between a Classic SR and a regular SR. I have a Carvin that's 14" radius and I switch between that and my EBMMs with no issues.

====================================
    141-DD-76-01 Bongo
    111-L5-5M-01 SR

I never notice that stuff. I sukk equally on any neck ...

OK, not eggs zacklee. Sometimes I notice different
    necks, but I still sukk equally.

When I bought my first non-SR MM it was a Sterling
    HS, the first HS I ever saw. I was so fascinated with
    playing it in the shop that I only discovered it was a
    Sterling when I read my receipt.

I spoze I oughta admire alluh youse who woulda felt
    a shocking difference, whose touch is so finessed as
    to distinctly notice such stuff.

Now, I do have ears, but hey it wasn't my own amp
    and I was fascinated by the effect of the neck SC in
    the mix. So, the sound DID immediately hit me as
    "not your grandaddy's StingRay" but I didn't realize
    equally immediately that it wasn't a StingRay at all,
    "speed neck" not withstanding.
    Last edited by Golem; 02-14-2016 at 01:52 PM.
    S.U.B. SL4 - SR4p FL [x2] - SR4HH FL [Moses neck]
    SL4p FL [x2] - SL4HS FL - SL4HS FL [Moses neck]
    SR5HS alnico - SR5p FL ceramic [x2] - Bongo4Hp FL

"Too many basses is never enuf"

Golem is NOT engaged in social networks.

BP: Caprice 5? I need a good "PJ" 5 - dumping my Fender P5 - it's not for me - big body and big neck. I'd order a Caprice 5 now if were available. Or is it not in the game plan?
    2008 Sterling 4H - Honey Burst / RW
    2008 Sterling 5H - Honey Burst / RW
    2012 Sterling 5H PDN Limited Edition
    2013 Classic Sabre - Natural / RW
    2013 Sterling 5H - Sterling Silver / RW
    2014 Classic Sabre - Honey Burst / RW

Does anybody know if the pickups in the Caprice are able to be replaced? The J-style pickup looks slightly larger than a standard J style pickup. I am looking into getting one soon and I may love the sound right out of the box but I did want to ask this question "just in case".

I don't think the P-style or the J-style pickup appear to be standard P- or J-size. I'm sure someone around here can confirm or disprove, but to my eye they look to both be MM-specific, and as wide as my Sterling's single-coil, which I'm pretty sure isn't as wide (tall? High? You know what I mean) as a J, and way different than a P.

I'm curious about the Caprice neck. Several interweb reviewers have stated that it had the Sterling neck, but the finish on the back and the long headstock means that's at least partially erroneous (plus I think it's 21 frets, but could be mistaken). I asked elsewhere if the necks were interchangeable, but that's before I figured out that they (probably) aren't. I wonder if anyone could report on the 'satiny-ness' of the satin, and how it stacks up against the unfinished maple. The neck is why I bought my Sterling, the tone was almost just a bonus. I want a Caprice pretty hard in theory, but if I'm going to have to mutilate a really nice bass with sandpaper to make it suit me, I'd be potentially more inclined to build something, maybe. Then again...

Quote Originally Posted by Thegrandwazoo View Post
    I wonder if anyone could report on the 'satiny-ness' of the satin, and how it stacks up against the unfinished maple. The neck is why I bought my Sterling, the tone was almost just a bonus. I want a Caprice pretty hard in theory, but if I'm going to have to mutilate a really nice bass with sandpaper to make it suit me, I'd be potentially more inclined to build something, maybe. Then again...
    I own both a Caprice and a Sterling and love them both. The Caprice neck is very satiny smooth.. If it wasn't, I wouldn't have bought it as I hate glossy necks and anything that is remotely sticky. The Sterling remains my favorite bass neck but I find the difference in feel between the two to be very small.

Your mileage may vary, of course, but I think you'll like it.

2016 Caprice Heritage Tobacco
    2013 Sterling 4 HH Sapphire Black
    2014 Sterling 5 HH Vintage Sunburst
    2009 Stingray 4 Slo Special HH White

2011 Silhouette HSH Candy Apple Red
    2011 Silhouette HSH Vintage Sunburst
    2016 Cutlass Ivory White
    2016 Valentine Trans Buttermilk

Well, that sorta sucks, haha! I've wanted a passive Sterling for a long time, and now it looks like I may have no alternative but to buy one of these bastidges as soon as I can to replace my Japanese Fender, since I've never loved its feel a fraction as much as my Sterling's. Good thing I don't have kids with college funds.

I really love the feel of the necks on these basses, but what grabbed me was the tone. Very warm with nice clean highs!

Does anyone know if any Caprice basses are available in stores in Ontario Canada? It seems as though Long & McQuade took over most stores and are mostly pushing Fender. I'd really like to demo a Caprice. Thanks.
    SM-Y2D Purple Sunset
    dob:12/29/11

EBMM Sterling 4 string - Carbon Blue Pearl
    dob:04/07/05

Quote Originally Posted by Thegrandwazoo View Post
    I'm curious about the Caprice neck. Several interweb reviewers have stated that it had the Sterling neck, but the finish on the back and the long headstock means that's at least partially erroneous (plus I think it's 21 frets, but could be mistaken). I asked elsewhere if the necks were interchangeable, but that's before I figured out that they (probably) aren't. I wonder if anyone could report on the 'satiny-ness' of the satin, and how it stacks up against the unfinished maple. The neck is why I bought my Sterling, the tone was almost just a bonus. I want a Caprice pretty hard in theory, but if I'm going to have to mutilate a really nice bass with sandpaper to make it suit me, I'd be potentially more inclined to build something, maybe. Then again...
    Caprice neck is much better to me than the unfinished maple. Those necks never really did it for me. That dry feel is not my thing. The caprice is the happy medium, as that satin finish really makes the neck play quite nicely. I am sure you can probably treat the unfinished maple the same way and it would be great.

I personally was sold on the Stingray classic neck. Gloss finish that is not sticky at all. Rather amazing and impressive. But that is more my thing in terms of preference. When I compare the Caprice to that, I still really liked the playability of the satin neck. The one thing about the Caprice that doesn't stack up to the Classic Ray is the frets. I much prefer smaller frets. But even with that caveat, I still love the Caprice neck a lot and think you will too.

Everyone's different, but I've always loathed gloss-finished necks. Without realizing unfinished maple was available on MMs, I've always sanded down the finish (to bare wood in the case of maple) on the back of the necks of all my stringed instruments. The first time I fondled a Sterling, I knew I had to have one. I've felt a lot of satin-finished necks I liked just fine (even some glossy ones, but they wouldn't long remain so if I owned them), but nothing's ever been as sweet to me as that raw, slick maple. It gets better the more I play it, too, as did my buddy's Zakk Wylde Les Paul (also oiled maple, if I'm not mistaken).

If EBMM is applying it, I've no doubt the satin is as good as it can be. I just wish EBMMs weren't so unobtainium in my general area, then I could just give one a feel and not have to wonder. Even though I can't really justify yet another nice instrument (I'm just a hobbyist, playing at impromptu funk/fusion/rock jams at get-togethers, an occasional piddly gig thrown together once in a blue moon), I REALLY want one of these things. If they actually had the exact same neck, I'd just order one sight-unseen as soon as my billfold allows, as quality seems to be a non concern with EBMMs. Every one I've played has been just as solid as anything I've felt, with the exception of a badly neglected pre-EB Stingray.

As far as frets are concerned, I like to either go big or go home, as they say. I like big whoppin jumbos or fretless, though my Fender plays just fine with regular sized fretwire, so I can certainly tolerate normal too. I think the Caprice has tall, narrow frets, which my left hand can't tell from tall, wide ones.

Another thought occurs to me: with that itty-bitty body, lighter weight than my (PERFECTLY-balanced) Sterling, the bigger headstock, and heavy tuners, I wonder if it'd be a neck-diver? I suppose some Hipshots, coupled with my preference for soft, wide, leather straps would probably fix it if so. It did on a feather-light 70s P I had briefly a few years ago, and the Caprice is no doubt better-designed, ergonomically speaking.

Sounds cool

Did any Caprice basses ever make it in to Canada? Looking to try one.
    SM-Y2D Purple Sunset
    dob:12/29/11

EBMM Sterling 4 string - Carbon Blue Pearl
    dob:04/07/05