Joe Dart

Thread: Exotic Colours

User Info Menu

Exotic Colours

Hey guys,
    Don't know what everybody else thinks, but Have Ernie Ball ever done any exotic transparent wood finishes before? Being a drummer as well as a new bassist I am a sucker for a beautiful wood finish. DW do some of the most stunningly beautiful finishes on their drums. They almost look too good to play they are that pretty.
    I was thinking a Bongo in Mapa Burl wood with a transparent sunburst finish would be the most beautiful bass guitar ever made. My Bongo when it arrives is the Tangerine Pearl. Yes, that is a great colour, but if there was a transparent lacquer finish available instead of the painted one I would have paid the extra and gone for that.

User Info Menu

Exotic Colours-mahogany-bongo-front-jpg

Like this?
    LOCK it in the POCKET

User Info Menu

V nice. Is/was that a special??
    MALC
    2016 Bongo 4 HH Chilli Red

User Info Menu

As a newbie to Ernie Ball products please excuse me if don't know what I am talking about, hopefully I will become more knowledgeable over time, but why not give a wider range of colours (they are more than capable) instead of the very limited range of pretty dull ones? I know it is subjective, but seeing what DW can do with their drums, EB surely can do the same with their guitars? To be fair though I am really REALLY looking forward to receiving my Tangerine Pearl Bongo. It is going to be such an occasion.
    MALC

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Malcspring View Post
    V nice. Is/was that a special??
    Yes, it was one of (2) Mahogany Bongos built before that version was offered as a PDN (in sunburst).
    It's a see-through dark red stain with an incredible Bird's-eye neck (also in see-through red), and best of all it's the HH version.
    LOCK it in the POCKET

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mabongohogany View Post

Like this?
    Wow! Anyway, one of the tragic social rules with guitar colors is that black, wood color and sunburst sells (maybe white, too), the rest is hard to sell and re-sell.

User Info Menu

2014 Neptune Blue PDN

Exotic Colours-img_5622_sm-jpgExotic Colours-img_5627_sm-jpg

2018 Bongo 5 HH Barolo
    2010 Big Al 5 SSS Sterling Silver
    2016 Caprice Heritage Tobacco
    2007 Sterling 4 HS Dargie Delight
    2013 Sterling 4 HH Sapphire Black
    2014 Sterling 5 HH Vintage Sunburst
    2019 Stingray Short Scale Ultra Marine Blue

2011 Silhouette HSH Candy Apple Red
    2011 Silhouette HSH Vintage Sunburst
    2016 Cutlass SSS Ivory White
    2016 Valentine Trans Buttermilk

User Info Menu

Wow. Sounds beautiful. I'm sure that the pictures don't do it justice. I bet it looks awesome in the flesh?
    MALC

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Malcspring View Post
    As a newbie to Ernie Ball products please excuse me if don't know what I am talking about, hopefully I will become more knowledgeable over time, but why not give a wider range of colours (they are more than capable) instead of the very limited range of pretty dull ones? I know it is subjective, but seeing what DW can do with their drums, EB surely can do the same with their guitars? To be fair though I am really REALLY looking forward to receiving my Tangerine Pearl Bongo. It is going to be such an occasion.
    When a color is not selling it gets removed. A simple business decision which opens up for different color options. In reality - I believe it was said - black is the best selling color. I could be wrong but think I that is correct.
    "Welcome to the addiction!" is now patented by Koogie2k......if used by anyone other than Koogie2k....you must mail him a US nickel for each time said/typed or signed.......

A WISE AND RESPECTED MAN TOLD ME:

"Do something nice for someone everyday. Don't let your head hit the pillow until you do something nice for someone each day." I hope I don't let him down.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by koogie2k View Post
    When a color is not selling it gets removed. A simple business decision which opens up for different color options. In reality - I believe it was said - black is the best selling color. I could be wrong but think I that is correct.
    Unfortunate, I have a Bongo Dargie II that I love. If the current color lineup was better I'd be adding a second Bongo right now. As it stands I'm waiting until a decent color is available, even if that is years.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mabongohogany View Post

Like this?
    I want that bass so bad...bad I tell you!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 96brigadier View Post
    Unfortunate, I have a Bongo Dargie II that I love. If the current color lineup was better I'd be adding a second Bongo right now. As it stands I'm waiting until a decent color is available, even if that is years.
    You could always pick up a used Bongo, plenty of black ones out there, and then ask someone to paint it for you in your favorite color or color pattern.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JOEinCA View Post
    I want that bass so bad...bad I tell you!
    Can't say I blame you!

It is a BAD (azz) bass!

BAD (azz) I tell you!
    LOCK it in the POCKET