Straps 2020
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1/2 of my life...

User Info Menu

1/2 of my life...

This past week, my Stingray and I passed a major milestone - my bass has been with me for 1/2 of my life! I'm not going to tell you how old I am, but my bass just turned 20 . My SR4 has been loyal, through college and moving around the country, through relationships, through the best and worst times of my life.

As a birthday gift, my bass got a fresh fretboard lemon oil treatment, a new set of strings and a new battery. It's the least I could do.

Anyone care to share their milestone stories?

User Info Menu

I've had my SR5 when Sugar Ray was still in the basement jamming heavy tunes... when Snoop became a frat-boy main stay... when Soundgarden was felling pretty noose. Before Beck got the devil's haircut...

It's been through several ep's, a few full lengths, a career change, a marriage (still going strong), arrival of my daughter, new home...

Sheeoot, it's been through quite a bit. I'm 46, so not quite 1/2 my life, but awful close.

User Info Menu

Btw congrats on the milestone! I guess when I'm 52 it'll have been 1/2 my life then. I'll play all mid to late nineties music to commemorate.
    Last edited by CW Zing; 04-25-2016 at 08:27 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CW Zing View Post
    Btw congrats on the milestone! I guess when I'm 52 it'll have been 1/2 my life then. I'll play all mid to late nineties music to commemorate.

Thanks! I think we had some similar musical influences during the formative years of our bass playing. I'm going to jam along with some Mother's Milk for old times' sake.

Best of luck on your way to 52!

User Info Menu

I bought my first bass, a black and maple MM SR4, in 1978 at the ripe old age of 20. It's still with me 38 years later (I'm 57).
    Buncha Rays and Bongos

User Info Menu

I am only 27 years of age myself, so i have much to learn and not nearly as experienced as you guys.

I recently got this notification of a memory on facebook showing a picture i posted 3 years ago, it was a picture i took of my first ebmm bass (the sterling 4). Back then i had 2 other basses and 4 other guitars. In the 3 years i have sold em all, never regretted this. as you can see in my signature i found a few ebmm's. Only difference is that the musicmans are all keepers, never sold 1 and i'm not planning to do so.
    1977 stingray II guitar--walnut------------maple fb
    1994 stingray 4H---------natural------------rosewood fb
    1998 sterling 4H----------trans red---------birdseye maple/rw
    2006 Jp6---------------------mystic dream--birdseye maple/rw
    2010 Classic sr4----------coral red---------birdseye maple
    2013 Luke III HSS--------olive gold--------rosewood neck
    2014 stingray 4 HH-----neptune blue---flamed maple
    2014 Luke III HSS--------bodhi blue-------birdseye maple/rw

User Info Menu

Almost half of my life. Got my first Stingray 24 years ago at the age of 27 and it was love at first sight.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OldManMusic
    I bought my first bass, a black and maple MM SR4, in 1978 at the ripe old age of 20. It's still with me 38 years later (I'm 57).
    You've got me beat! 2/3 of your life, if you don't mind me saying. Nice to hear you still have your first bass.

Quote Originally Posted by Paco Maraca View Post
    Almost half of my life. Got my first Stingray 24 years ago at the age of 27 and it was love at first sight.
    Almost there!

Maybe we can add some pictures to the thread - it would be great to see these basses.

User Info Menu

Sexy carpet shot...
    1/2 of my life...-image1461897703-278866-jpg

Feeling pensive that day... the bass, that is
    1/2 of my life...-image1461897797-033833-jpg

User Info Menu

Cool

Sure, here's my light-weight classic 1989 Ray next to my other love, a 2012 honey-roasted PDN

1/2 of my life...-pdn_19-jpg

I replaced the transparent pickguard 10 years ago by a white-pearl one, because a Ray has to look like a Ray - although the ash body is really pretty. Here's a shot of the original configuration

1/2 of my life...-stingray_25-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Paco Maraca View Post
    I replaced the transparent pickguard 10 years ago by a white-pearl one, because a Ray has to look like a Ray - although the ash body is really pretty.
    Lovely grain on that body... Looks better with the original guard!

86 Sabre Nat
    87 TR
    87 Sun
    87 SR5 proto Peach
    88 Peach
    88 Sabre Peach
    88 Sabre Sun
    89 Blub
    89 SR5 Peach
    89 Sun
    89 SR5 TR
    90 Blub
    90 V Sun
    90 TR
    90 SR5 TR
    92 Sun
    92 V Sun
    94 Sterl Sun
    98 Sher G MHS
    00 SR5 Mtl Flake G MHS
    02 Gun Silv MHS
    03 SR5 Wh
    07 TR
    09 25th 5 HSS
    09 Class Surf G
    09 Class Fiesta Red MHS
    10 Class SR5 Blk x2
    16 Big Al 5 SSS Vint Tob PDN MHS
    17 Old Sm Choc B x2
    17 30th SR5 RW
    17 30th SR5 M
    18 SR5S Vint Tob
    18 SR5S Aqua Sp

User Info Menu

Interesting assessment.....never thought about that before.

I have had a lot of basses for a long time, however the 2nd one I ever owned makes for the most interesting math.

A 1973 Rickenb@cker 4001....acquired in 1977 for the sum of $350 (in 1977!!!!) has been with me for 74% of my lifetime. WOW!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1powersm3 View Post
    I have had a lot of basses for a long time, however the 2nd one I ever owned makes for the most interesting math.

A 1973 Rickenb@cker 4001....acquired in 1977 for the sum of $350 (in 1977!!!!) has been with me for 74% of my lifetime. WOW!
    Wow is right! Thanks for sharing!

At what point do these instruments go to the 'next in line'? I can imagine passing mine on to a next generation bassist at some point, but not yet!

User Info Menu

Here's my bass. Honeyburst, rosewood, black, 3EQ:

Wall hanger shot:
    1/2 of my life...-fullsizerender-jpg

Glamour shot:
    1/2 of my life...-fullsizerender1-jpg

User Info Menu

passing of the basses

Quote Originally Posted by fyziqs View Post
    Wow is right! Thanks for sharing!

At what point do these instruments go to the 'next in line'? I can imagine passing mine on to a next generation bassist at some point, but not yet!

Yes, I agree - passing of them is important.

Of all my basses - I do have four (4) with specific instructions. The '73 4001 and '84 Explorer explicitly go to my daughter and a mid '90s Hamer B12A and my '07 Dargie Delight Sterling HS go to my wife.

The others, some more Gibson's, Fender's and a Stingray SLO HH (and entire wall of Trace Elliot) get lumped in with all the rest of my estate, monetized and distributed.

But the four mentioned have special value to me - so I want them to stay in the family.

On the lighter side...."My greatest fear is upon my death my wife will sell my bass collection for what I told her it cost!"