New Slinkys March 2020
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Purchased 1st brand new SR5 ever today

User Info Menu

I assume PDN basses come with stock slinky strings (not cobalts)? I haven't used slinky's in years, and they sound really good, but when i took them off to wonderwipe the fretboard, all of them were twisted, and I think it screwed with the E an B a little bit. If i'm gonna replace them id like to maybe try the cobalt rounds (have cobalt flats on my jazz and love them!) does anyone know if the tension is the same between cobalt rounds and slinky rounds?

User Info Menu

Love the Starry Night finish. Gorgeous bass!

Dave O.

Honeyburst Stingray 5 HH (THE most beautiful finish they ever made!)
    Bongo 5 curious

- Amps: Mesa D-800+; G-K MB800 and MB500; Genzler Magellan 350
    - Cabs: Two Barefaced Big Baby 2's; Two Hartke HyDrive HD210's; Barefaced One10
    - A few "other" basses, all very nice but none threaten my Stingray's position as my #1

Yeah, I know I suck, but at least I suck a little less than I sucked yesterday.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn35016 View Post
    I assume PDN basses come with stock slinky strings (not cobalts)? I haven't used slinky's in years, and they sound really good, but when i took them off to wonderwipe the fretboard, all of them were twisted, and I think it screwed with the E an B a little bit. If i'm gonna replace them id like to maybe try the cobalt rounds (have cobalt flats on my jazz and love them!) does anyone know if the tension is the same between cobalt rounds and slinky rounds?
    Yeah they seem similar tension to me. That said I have just put a set of pink pack Slinky rounds on my SR5, 125 to 40. All I can say is wow!! They really suit my playing and my natural/maple SR5.
    2018 SR5HHS Cruz Teal - roasted/ebony
    2018 SR4HHS Aqua sparkle - roasted/ebony
    2016 SR4H 40th Anni Old Smoothie - Chocolate burst - maple
    2014 Neptune Blue Classic Sabre - roasted/maple, mahogany body
    2010 SR4 classic coral red/birdseye/maple with Flatwounds
    2008 Bongo 5HHp lava pearl/RW
    2007 SR4HH Blue Dawn LE/RW
    2003 SR5H Natural/maple
    2003 SR4H Natural/RW
    2003 US Sub 5H White/RW
    1993 SR4 Fretless Sunburst - birdseye maple/Pau Ferro
    1993 SR4 blueburst - flamed maple/maple