Ernie Ball Paradigm
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why did MM remove "MADE IN SAN LUIS OBISPO" from the headstock?

Question why did MM remove "MADE IN SAN LUIS OBISPO" from the headstock?

New to the forums and MM instruments, just got my first StingRay last week. Looking around online I've noticed that "MADE IN SAN LUIS OBISPO" has been removed from the headstocks, just wondering what the reason was for this since I know they're still made in the same factory. Maybe I'm searching the wrong terms but I couldn't find anything about it on google or the forum search.

I've read something about this somewhere - to do with the State of Calfornia changing legislation requiring that anything purporting to be Made in California required every bit of it to be made there - not sure whether this goes down to the last screw or piece of wire but I guess items like Schaller tuners are not made in California - I wonder if the wood would need to be sourced in CA also?

My latest Stingray has the California heritage logo on the back of the headstock.
    2014 Neptune Blue Classic Sabre - roasted maple neck with maple board, mahogany body
    2010 SR4 classic collection coral red/birdseye maple neck and board with Flatwounds
    2008 Bongo 5HHp lava pearl
    2007 SR4HH Blue Dawn LE/rosewood board
    2003 SR5H Natural/maple board
    1993 SR4 Fretless Sunburst birdseye maple neck
    1993 SR4 blueburst with flamed maple neck and board
    Markbass LM3/standard 2x10 HF and 2 x 10 Traveller now that's loud!

Quote Originally Posted by drTStingray View Post
    I've read something about this somewhere - to do with the State of Calfornia changing legislation requiring that anything purporting to be Made in California required every bit of it to be made there - not sure whether this goes down to the last screw or piece of wire but I guess items like Schaller tuners are not made in California - I wonder if the wood would need to be sourced in CA also?

My latest Stingray has the California heritage logo on the back of the headstock.
    thanks for the info, looks like that's definitely the case:
    California’s 'Made In The USA' Law: 1 Year Later - Law360

Blog Entries
    our tuning keys are made in germany. thats basically it It is a horrible law.
    Two requests, please
    Please contact customer service prior to posting instrument issues
    Please don't PM me
    Thanks

Please dont add me as a friend on facebook....my life is an open book here as it is.

That's ridiculous.
    SR5 HS "Dargie Delight" born 2/28/2007
    SR5 Classic "Vintage White" born 5/17/2010
    SUB5 "Graphite" born 4/1/2005
    SR5 H Lined Fretless "Black" born 4/1/2003
    SR H "Orange Firemist" born 1/28/2009
    SUB1 H "Graphite" born 1/27/2005
    GK Fusion 550 & Neo 212 II
    GK MB150E & MBX
    GK MB112 II & 112MBP

The name holds no kudos (in a New York, London, Paris, Milan way) and sounds & looks unattractive.
    I'd say it's a win.

Blog Entries
    well.....in the USA its a pretty special place. It's not townsville...hahahahahahaha
    Two requests, please
    Please don't PM me
    Thanks

Please dont add me as a friend on facebook....my life is an open book here as it is.

I wonder if there's any legal weaseling to solve this.

Just a 'for instance', as a guess, not a lawyer myself,
    but .....

If the law defines "MADE in SLO" as meaning that
    EVERY molecule is MADE in SLO, does that rule out
    a slight change like mebbe "Crafted" in SLO ?

I'm not trying to be funny or ironic. Laws can be very
    specific. "MADE" may equal "Manufactured", which is
    applicable to every component, IOW the tuners are
    manufactured items, and manufactured in Germany
    so thaz really a problem.

Just wondering if "Crafted" might refer only to the
    components that are "crafted", which is not exactly
    the same thing as "manufactured". It's mainly the
    wooden parts that would be considered "crafted",
    and they're a 100% SLO item.
    Last edited by Golem; 03-13-2017 at 09:18 PM.
    S.U.B. SL4 - SR4p FL [x2] - SR4HH FL [Moses neck]
    SL4p FL [x2] - SL4HS FL - SL4HS FL [Moses neck]
    SR5HS alnico - SR5p FL ceramic [x2] - Bongo4Hp FL

"Too many basses is never enuf"

Golem is NOT engaged in social networks.

We are planning a trip to California all the way from rainy Manchester, UK, and we plan to at least spend a bit of time in San Luis Obispo when driving from LA to San Fran. When I think of SLO I always think of the Musicman guys and gals. So, it is a shame, especially when you just use German tuners (and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that!).

Bizarre laws. Same product though, and cool little bear.
    2010 Stingray 5 HS White/Tort/Rw
    2011 Stingray 4 H 3 Band EQ Vintage Sunburst/Black/Mp w/flame/birdseye figuring
    2011 Big Al 5 SSS Vintage Sunburst/Tort/Rw
    2011 Sterling 5 HS Tobacco Burst/Black/Rw
    2011 Stingray 5 Classic Natural/Black/Birdseye Mp
    2012 Bongo 5 HH Tangerine Pearl/Black
    2013 Bongo 5 HS Sky Blue/Vintage White Pearl
    2013 Stingray 5 HH Honeyburst/White/Mp
    2014 Albert Lee HH Vintage Sunburst/Tort/ALL Rw!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
    well.....in the USA its a pretty special place. It's not townsville...hahahahahahaha
    Oh, don't get me started! Bloody silly name. Translates as Townstown. Named after a man of questionable morals regarding the ownership of fellow primates, named Robert Towns. The first mate on that ship, as it sailed north looking for a commercial harbour, was called Charles Rockingham. We could be called "Rockingham" right now. Or even, "Chuck Rock City". I'd take that over Townsville.

The law reference above, SB633, goes the other way. It changes the regulations to loosen the definition of "Made in U.S.A."

It does not mention made in California either. So I have to wonder why the removal of my beloved "Made in SLO, California, USA" that's silkscreened on the back of the headstock is gone on the new basses. Thankfully, it's still on mine!

Quote Originally Posted by Movielife View Post
    ... When I think of SLO I always think of the Musicman guys and gals.
    I'd venture to say that most of us out here in CA, think of CalPoly when thinking of SLO. When I think of SLO in terms of Music Man, I tend to think of my Sterling first, then H1B visas for IT workers second. Sometimes I pick up my MIA pbass on those occasions, but I'm sure there are things I'm unaware of that would cause me to put it down at times.
    Last edited by 74hc; 03-16-2017 at 02:51 PM.

Blog Entries
    I was just kidding about your town...its all good...golem we tried crafted it doesnt work either\
    Two requests, please
    Please don't PM me
    Thanks

Because MIA or Made in SLO are too pro American and therefore offensive to the world village, all inclusive, plural culture that exists in CA legislators minds.

====================================
    141-DD-76-01 Bongo
    111-L5-5M-01 SR

Quote Originally Posted by 74hc View Post
    The law reference above, SB633, goes the other way. It changes the regulations to loosen the definition of "Made in U.S.A."

It does not mention made in California either. So I have to wonder why the removal of my beloved "Made in SLO, California, USA" that's silkscreened on the back of the headstock is gone on the new basses. Thankfully, it's still on mine!

I'd venture to say that most of us out here in CA, think of CalPoly when thinking of SLO. When I think of SLO in terms of Music Man, I tend to think of my Sterling first, then H1B visas for IT workers second. Sometimes I pick up my MIA pbass on those occasions, but I'm sure there are things I'm unaware of that would cause me to put it down at times.
    I do think of freshman year at SLO, and the Madonna Inn (I did stay there once)...

If you have the money I'd recommend the Madonna Inn on your trip but mostly I'd recommend a visit to Montano de Oro, such a beautiful beach, love the walk out to Sand Spit.

It's on all eleven of mine, I've been to the factory where they're made AND it IS a special place. You can silkscreen "Ask Psycho Ward where this bass is made".
    Psycho Ward

King of Lefthanzia

"I now pronounce you KING of LEFTHANZIA...its official and no one can take it away..." -BP

4 Bongos
    4 Sterlings
    2 SR5's
    1 SR4