EBMM Stingray bass blue
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cobalt Flats

User Info Menu

Cobalt Flats

I know this isn't the string forum, so feel free to move this if you think it's necessary, but there seems to be more people over here, so...

After seeing the Mike Herrera demo video, I ran out and ordered a set.

My question is for any of you that have used these strings. Do they go dead or just mello out or do they keep their tone over time? I don't have any experience with traditional flats, but these are, pleasantly, much brighter than I expected flats to be and it has me wondering how often most people replace them with new ones.

...Bryan

194-59-21-01 Sterling Silver Sterling5 HH Rosewood MHS F28514 3/14/11

User Info Menu

Very interesting. I've never tried these flats, but I do have experience with EBMM regular flats, and they mellow over time. They also never sounded as bright and focused as these Cobalt flats. I had my flats on my SR5 for over 3 years, and they were still going strong. I took them off and still have them.

I wonder if they come in a 5 string set?
    John

Fender 500C + 210

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jlepre View Post
    I wonder if they come in a 5 string set?
    They come in a 5 string set (that's what I got) and, IMHO, sound amazing.

Just don't get your beard anywhere near them, if you have one. They seem to be beard magnets on a mission to rip it out a few hairs at a time
    ...Bryan

194-59-21-01 Sterling Silver Sterling5 HH Rosewood MHS F28514 3/14/11

User Info Menu

I've had them on my 40th since I got it and have played them a LOT over the last few months. So far so good. They still have enough zing to make me giggle. I assume they will someday 'mellow' but being me, I might not notice.

User Info Menu

I've had them on my Fretless Stingray for about 18 months and they're still great. Mine were a bit sticky to the touch for a week or so but have been perfect since.
    2018 SR5HHS Cruz Teal - roasted/ebony
    2018 SR4HHS Aqua sparkle - roasted/ebony
    2016 SR4H 40th Anni Old Smoothie - Chocolate burst - maple
    2014 Neptune Blue Classic Sabre - roasted/maple, mahogany body
    2010 SR4 classic coral red/birdseye/maple with Flatwounds
    2008 Bongo 5HHp lava pearl/RW
    2007 SR4HH Blue Dawn LE/RW
    2003 SR5H Natural/maple
    2003 SR4H Natural/RW
    2003 US Sub 5H White/RW
    1993 SR4 Fretless Sunburst - birdseye maple/Pau Ferro
    1993 SR4 blueburst - flamed maple/maple

User Info Menu

I've had them on my fretless for quite a while - not sure how long but, for sure, over a year. I guess they are brighter than normal new flats but they're also punchier and fatter on the bottom end so it balances out to some extent. I can't say I've really noticed that they've mellowed at all. It's hard to tell.

I also found them a bit sticky or, maybe a better term is "grippy" (harder to slide your finger) initially but after a little while that goes away.

I don't really imagine replacing them for a long time.

Bongo 5H, BFR Roasted, Black Sugar
    Bongo 5Hp Fretless, Mahogany, Roasted, Honey Burst

User Info Menu

I have been playing these on my Bongo 4HH for a few months now and I can't believe how much I like them. Plenty of zing and just the right amount of give for my goofy style of inappropriate, fast runs in blues songs. One of these days my bandmates are going to hurt me badly. Deservedly so.
    -Ben

User Info Menu

I have set on my three band Stingray and they are great. Great focus and good lows and mids for most of what I do but in the one or two tunes I actually slap on, they respond quite well. Ordered a secong set for my SR5.... will try them on my gig this week.

User Info Menu

I just picked up a solid rosewood neck SR5H and am thinking the spare set of Colbalt flats I have at home will be a perfect fit...
    Ken

Venetian Redburst 25th 5H / Desert Gold Bongo 5H / Honeyburst Sterling 5H / White w/Rosewood Neck StingRay 5H / Blue Pearl Sterling 4H
    And a bunch of non-EBMM stuff!

User Info Menu

I have them on my Stingray 4 and my P Bass and they sound great on both. I used to swear by D'Addario Chromes as I wanted that kind of Roundwound sound but without the finger noise and the Cobalts have replaced them now. Like others have said they are a bit grippy at first but I really like them. After 6 months use they are still keeping their tone which is really good as I do play a lot.

User Info Menu

Lord Bongo help me, I think I'm about to put some on my Bongo 5HH now.
    -Ben

User Info Menu

I didn't really care for the Cobalt rounds, but on a whim tried the Cobalt Flats. Man, I'm glad I did. They are great. Still going strong after a few months.

User Info Menu

Just put a set on my SR5 HH and I think I actually like them better on the 5 than the 4 for what ever reason... but man do they have booty... be careful with that three band bass boost. You will need much less of it. And the only time I experience the grabby feel was when I had sweat on my fingers. Other than that they feel glassy smooth to me.

User Info Menu

I never heard of flats getting old.
    S.U.B. SL4 - SR4p FL [x3] - SR4HH FL [Moses neck]
    SL4p FL [x2] - SL4HS FL - SL4HS FL [Moses neck]
    SR5HS alnico - SR5p FL ceramic [x2] - Bongo4Hp FL

"Too many basses is never enuf"

Golem is NOT engaging in social networks.

User Info Menu

I would like to again reiterate how much I love these strings. Several months of sweaty playing and they've only gotten better.
    -Ben