Ernie Ball Paradigm
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bongo Question

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Golem View Post
    Do not confuse Sterlings with Sterlings ! BP isn't gonna
    dig my criticism, but who the hell OKed that name game
    that gives ALMOST the same name to offshore products
    as was already in use for certain current SLO models ?
    Your own remark about the price difference documents
    the reality of the ensuing confusion. You are not alone.

Plainly esplained ....

There's the SLO California Sterlings, simply a variant of,
    or an evolution of, the StingRay. These are EBMM basses.

Then there's another company called SBMM, or "Sterling
    By MusicMan". Notice that it's not SBEBMM ? "EB" is not
    absent just to save space in the acronym. SBMM is NOT
    EB nor EBMM.

Still aboard ? OK. At EBMM, "Sterling" is a MODEL name,
    or a series name. The EBMM Sterlings are made at SLO,
    California, USA.

However at SBMM, "Sterling" is a COMPANY name. There
    is NO series of basses, nor model of bass, named Sterling
    in the SBMM line.

Anywho, there is not just the two Sterlings, but also a
    third Sterling in the mix, but he is not an electric bass :-)
    And he seems to have an unfathomable fondness for the
    name "Sterling". Quite the puzzle, that ...

It doesn't end there ... cuz of the "S.U.B." model name
    fiasco ... but thaz a story for another day.

`
    golem sometimes you are a jackass but our jackass.
    Two requests, please
    Please contact customer service prior to posting instrument issues
    Please don't PM me
    Thanks

Please dont add me as a friend on facebook....my life is an open book here as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
    ok how many that are posting an opinion of the bongo have even played it or owned it?
    I have owned many, and still own two, Sterling.
    1977 Sunburst SR4H with customized 24 fret ebony fretboard, 1982 Natural SR4H X2, 1983 Sunburst SR4H, 2005 Buttercream Bongo 4HH RW Neck, 2005 LE Buttercream SR4HH, 2007 DD SR4HH, 2007 DD Bongo 4HH, 2009 25th Venetian Red SR4HH BFR RW neck, a couple of regular Sterlings, a few other Stingrays, and a few competitors basses

Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
    ok how many that are posting an opinion of the bongo have even played it or owned it?
    Me! lol

IMHO The Bongo is the Best Bass you could possibly get.
    I got the 5HH and I'm currently thinking about getting a 6 String Bongo. I'd love to get one of Myung's Bongo's though with the thinner Fretboard...
    But you got so so many possibilities with the Electronics and the playability is second to none.
    It's a unique Bass and I won't ever let my Bongo go. If you can get your Hands on one of the PDN Bongo's with the unfinished Maple Necks go for it!
    Music Man JP7 PDN 2012 Honey Roasted #F20403
    Music Man JP6 PDN 2013 Emerald Green Sparkle #G68213
    Music Man JP6 PDN 2014 Neptune Blue Roasted #G71474
    Music Man JP6 PDN 2016 Starry Night #G77086
    Music Man Bongo 5HH PDN 2015 Vintage Tobacco Burst #F44860

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtoe View Post
    I don't know that I believe anyone that says a Bongo doesn't cut through on recordings. I'm inclined to think that the engineer simply didn't know how to eq something not shaped like a P- or J-bass. The few times I've recorded it has been wonderful, and I'm always out front in the mix when live. Dial in a few hi-mids if you need them. Pow! Right in the forehead.

Regarding the painted neck, mine got slick in no time from playing it, and has never been an impediment. I simply love them.
    I thought that would be the case Oldtoe in regards to cutting through the mix.....Human error, so that clears that point. The other thing that I mentioned was the lower shape of the Bass and worries that it might be uncomfortable to play in a sitting position with the weird shape horn digging into your leg. I suppose if that is the case it is something you would just get used to,or it might not be the case at all.........What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
    Me! lol

IMHO The Bongo is the Best Bass you could possibly get.
    I got the 5HH and I'm currently thinking about getting a 6 String Bongo. I'd love to get one of Myung's Bongo's though with the thinner Fretboard...
    But you got so so many possibilities with the Electronics and the playability is second to none.
    It's a unique Bass and I won't ever let my Bongo go. If you can get your Hands on one of the PDN Bongo's with the unfinished Maple Necks go for it!
    Hey Dave.......What does PDN stand for?

Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    What does PDN stand for?
    Preferred Dealer Network. EBMM makes special runs, with unique finishes and/or materials, available for order for limited periods through only PDN dealers. Most recent case was the "Starry Night" run offered in June 2016, which is still featured in the "slider" at the top of the EBMM home page.
    ---------------
    2016 PDN Luke 3 HH Starry Night (DOB 12/29/2016)
    2016 Valentine in Trans Maroon (DOB 11/29/2016)
    2014 Axis SS Semi-Hollow MM90 with Piezo (DOB 9/11/2014)
    2012 Reflex Game Changer HSH with Piezo (DOB 5/22/2012)
    2006 20th Anniversary Silhouette Hardtail with Piezo (DOB 11/7/2006)

Get the Bongo maaan
    Stealth Black Bongo 6 HH
    Stealth Pearl Bongo 6 HH
    Line 6 Helix

I play Bongos while sitting all the time, and I have never noticed them digging into my leg. It sits on my right thigh on the curve made by the lower horn and bout. It really is a very comfortable shape sitting or standing.
    -Ben

Most comfortable bass I have ever owned body and neck and so many tone possibilities. Stupidly sold mine and need another one badly.

TWhat I have noticed what several reviewers have said is that .... it doesn't cut through the mix when recording.Seeing as I will only be using it sat down at home for recording those two points are important to me.
    Well, there certainly is a powerful electronics package in the Bongo and anyone who can't get one to sit nicely in a mix is doing something entirely wrong with the instrument or at the board. I recorded this with a Bongo 5H:

Until Then - YouTube

I can't imagine complaining about the bass. Other things, sure. (BTW, the pedal steel and piano are by our own Psycho Ward, aka Chuck.) It was a very simple signal chain. Bongo, Markbass rig, mic, slight compression at board. Boom. Done.

I of course, recommend the Bongo above all else.

It's what I do.

I own a Bongo. I own a Stingray. I also own several Fenders. Of course, they are all different animals.

Each bass brings a something a little different to the table. That said, my go-to bass is always my orange Bongo. Everything on it just works. I feels just fine sitting on my leg, and feels quite nice hanging from a strap. It seems to cut through as well as every other bass I have when being recorded. If there are any recording problems, the first thing I would look at would be how fresh are the strings, then the EQ, then the bass.

I am not sure what I would do if I ever lost my HH Bongo. I know if I had to sell some instruments off, all my Fenders would go before I sold my Music Men.
    EBMM Stingray 4 H 2006 Trans Crimson 30th Anniversary
    EBMM Bongo 5 HH 2003 Desert Gold
    EBMM Bongo 5 HS 2005 Buttercream Limited Edition

MarkBass SA450 - Bergantino HS210

Bongs are my favorite followed by the stingray. To me Bongos are very versatile tonally and I like having the extra frets on the fretboard.

Ideally you should try each to see which you prefer, but seems that may not be possible. Search the web for sound examples to help with the decision.

You will have a great bass no matter which EBMM one you choose.

I also have issues with the colors changing for the basses on the music man web site. Some do work, most do not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bovinehost View Post
    Well, there certainly is a powerful electronics package in the Bongo and anyone who can't get one to sit nicely in a mix is doing something entirely wrong with the instrument or at the board. I recorded this with a Bongo 5H:

Until Then - YouTube

I can't imagine complaining about the bass. Other things, sure. (BTW, the pedal steel and piano are by our own Psycho Ward, aka Chuck.) It was a very simple signal chain. Bongo, Markbass rig, mic, slight compression at board. Boom. Done.

I of course, recommend the Bongo above all else.

It's what I do.
    I was looking forward to hearing that bovinehost but the video is unavailable, but I think I get the gist that the Bongo will sit very well indeed in the mix. I just need to decide whether it is going to be a HH or HS and with or without piezo,but what does having the piezo give you in regards to tone?. Sorry about being a pain but if I ordered one tomorrow I would only receive it in October due to shipping and I would not be sending it back to wait another six months for a different model.

Thanks.

I have owned SR5s, ST5s and Bongo 5s, and I have to say that the Bongo is very punchy, but with the twist of a couple knobs, can be tamed. Playing in a sitting position can be a bit tricky, but if you keep her on a strap at the time, you should be fine.

The SR5 is a great bass, as well as the ST5. The ST5s that I've owned were a little bit more mid focused, but sounded very similar to my SR5s. I too like the tear drop PG over the massive SR5 PG, but I'm not sure if the SR5 specials come with the teardrop or not.

I'm sure someone will chime in.
    John

Fender 500C + 210

That is a beautiful looking Bass steevo I wonder if there is any real tonal differences between the Sterling and the Stingray ? I know that the Sterling is cheaper and I have read many good reveiws from Sterling users online . I am in a bit of a quandry now as i do prefer the teardrop pickguard on the Sterling compared to the one that is on the Stingray.Would I be right in saying that all Stingray 5 string 3 band basses do not come with the traditional teardrop pickguard? and if that is the case then I may go for the Sterling instead. I know that it is just a visual thing but when you fork out for new you want the look to be right.
    Its not the cheaper sterling by musicman bass karl, it's an Ernie ball musicman. That pickguard is specific to the sterling bass and I love it, a very elegant look. Sound wise, compared to the stingray I find the sterling doesn't have that high end fizz that stingrays are known for, its not quite as aggressive on the treble side although ive heard the sterling is a more aggressive sounding bass, I haven't found this with mine. Another plus for the sterling is the neck profile, its beyond belief how nice the necks are, smooth and sit in the hand beautifully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Musicman Silhouette special w/rosewood neck
    Musicman Sterling 5 HH
    Music Man SUB5 bass
    Music Man SUB 1 guitar