Ernie Ball Paradigm
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Bongo Question

E.B.'s painted necks are the best, not like other ones. No stickiness what so ever.

The neck finish on my EBMM Bongo 5 HS 2005 Buttercream Limited Edition self-destructed. Why? Not sure, could have been the finish, could have been the case, could have been the previous owner. Over time it just kept getting worse and worse. I "solved" the problem by gently removing the neck finish, nut to neck plate, and sealing it with oil and wax. Sure, this destroyed the "collector" value I suppose, but it feels fantastic.
    EBMM Stingray 4 H 2006 Trans Crimson 30th Anniversary
    EBMM Bongo 5 HH 2003 Desert Gold
    EBMM Bongo 5 HS 2005 Buttercream Limited Edition

MarkBass SA450 - Bergantino HS210

Quote Originally Posted by strummer View Post
    Well worth the wait!
    Did you go for the Stealth?
    Yes strummer I opted for the Stealth and they have chucked in a free white pickguard because I had recently bought a Classic Stingray from them.One other thing when I bought my Stingray about a month after delivery I received a small toolkit through the post from Ernie Ball. Is this the norm and will the same thing happen after I have received my Bongo?

Where on BC are you, Moose?
    1977 Sunburst SR4H with customized 24 fret ebony fretboard, 1982 Natural SR4H X2, 1983 Sunburst SR4H, 2005 Buttercream Bongo 4HH RW Neck, 2005 LE Buttercream SR4HH, 2007 DD SR4HH, 2007 DD Bongo 4HH, 2009 25th Venetian Red SR4HH BFR RW neck, a couple of regular Sterlings, a few other Stingrays, and a few competitors basses

Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Is this the norm and will the same thing happen after I have received my Bongo?
    No I don't think it's the norm, more like they do take care of all of us in an amazing way Also, it could be your importer , they're an awesome bunch too
    bovinehost: Yes, I do agree with that, but if there's nothing wrong then there's nothing wrong.
    Beth: I would compare Bongo to Tommy Lee Jones. Bad a$$ and just hot in a weird way...
    cheezewiz: They should take their lace thongs off and play bass.

HEINZ

Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Yes strummer I opted for the Stealth and they have chucked in a free white pickguard because I had recently bought a Classic Stingray from them.One other thing when I bought my Stingray about a month after delivery I received a small toolkit through the post from Ernie Ball. Is this the norm and will the same thing happen after I have received my Bongo?
    I bought a Starry Night Stingray end of last year. Did not receive anything but an awesome bass!

Quote Originally Posted by Edmang View Post
    I bought a Starry Night Stingray end of last year. Did not receive anything but an awesome bass!
    Mmmm.......That's strange! So I would guess that it was the dealer that must have sent it which is a result as they are going for around 47.00 sterling on the internet.

Late to the game... but wanted to weigh in on something that hasn't yet been mentioned. I own all the basses being discussed, and have owned several active Fenders. I've owned lots and lots of other basses too. One thing I notice about Musicman basses that sets them apart from other active basses is the variety of tones you get. As I've said on other forums, it's like the tone controls on my other basses go from 1-6, but on the MMs they go from 1-15. In others I can boost and cut the bass, treble and mids, but the basic tone remains relatively the same. With my Bongo and other MMs I'm able to really re-sculpt the tone.

Another thing I'll add re the Bongo. I played a Bongo exclusively for many years when I was playing and touring with several original bands. I then got into doing a lot of cover gigs, and a Zep tribute convinced me I had to get myself a Jazz. After getting used to the Jazz the Bongo started to freak me out a little. It's a truly powerful mofo. I hung it up for a bit, but then stumbled upon something I've been doing ever since. Instead of using the center detents for a "flat" setting, I started considering about a third of the way up on all four tone controls to be flat. And I adjust from there. It has made an incredible difference for me, tames the beast, and given me much more control over my tone.

Das all. I didn't come to this forum to comment on Bongos . Came to welcome myself back, which I'll do in another thread I'm about to start now.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Nerve View Post
    It's a truly powerful mofo. I hung it up for a bit, but then stumbled upon something I've been doing ever since. Instead of using the center detents for a "flat" setting, I started considering about a third of the way up on all four tone controls to be flat. And I adjust from there. It has made an incredible difference for me, tames the beast, and given me much more control over my tone.
    Thanks for the tip Joe!......I will put that into practice when I get my Bongo.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Nerve View Post
    Late to the game... but wanted to weigh in on something that hasn't yet been mentioned.........

.......Instead of using the center detents for a "flat" setting, I started considering about a third of the way up on all four tone controls to be flat. And I adjust from there. It has made an incredible difference for me, tames the beast, and given me much more control over my tone. .......

Very interesting!! Thanks for passing that on.

Yeah...I'll kind of echo that point to some extent...I also tend to cut the treble and mids on my 5H about 1/3 of the way. So...just the point being...don't be afraid to dial the controls below the center point as it can do great things.

Bongo 5H, BFR Roasted, Black Sugar
    Bongo 5Hp Fretless, Mahogany, Roasted, Honey Burst

that works nicely, I use this kind of EQing for my Bongos all the time. The treble stays up around center or even a bit boosted, the rest are dialed back evenly. Sound great with both PUs on full. If I play with the bridge humbucker only, I boost treble and bass considerably and dial in just enough low mids for the bass to sound full and punchy.

90s Stingray Teal with birdseye maple neck.

So i have owned a ray 5H and currently own 2x Bongo 6s. They will pry my bongo 6HH from my cold.dead fingers because, as has been said in this thread already, it is the most comfortable bass to play ive ever picked up. Sound wise the bomgos are very versatile especially if you can control your tone with your fingers, e.g. play close to the bridge for more growl, etc. I have played the fender elites and theyre not bad for a fender i would go with the bongo or a ray any day for versatility, playability, and looks.
    "The Dude Abides"
    Bongo 6HH
    Bongo 6HS