EB Tone Squad
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Musicman classic sabre discontinued?

  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Musicman classic sabre discontinued?

    Hi Folks,

    Is there anynoe who know why musicman classic sabre basses were discontinued??

  2. #2

    User Info Menu

    No idea why, but there is still some available at bass central if you are interested in getting one

    Search Results - Bass Central

  3. #3

    User Info Menu

    Because nobody bought them.

    They were discontinued three times, in the early 80ties (Pre), early 90ties (EB) and recently(Classic).
    1979 StingRay natural maple

  4. #4

    User Info Menu

    I bought them, but I am only one man.... I am very thankful for the last run of them too. They have restocked the pond rather well and the classic series are dream boats! In my opinion, the classic series Sabres were the best of the best. I have two and I am always on the hunt for another. There are lots of them out there.... just keep your ear to the ground.

  5. #5

    User Info Menu

    Our two most recently discontinued models were both sort of polar opposites. We offered two totally different things and neither took.

    Sabre was for all intents and purposes a very straightforward, classic, accessible bass, but nobody wanted it.

    The Big Al was crazy versatile with its switching and active/passive capability and a totally different body shape from most other basses on the market, but nobody wanted it.

    Sometimes you just can't win.
    St. Vincent "Prince Vince" trans purple gold hardware stealth pg roasted bound neck
    Albert Lee MM90 piezo "Silver Surfer"
    Classic Morse
    Luke BFR Koa
    Axis Super Sport Semi-Hollow natural flame piezo
    Silhouette Special
    Stealth Bongo H
    White Cutlass Bass roasted neck

  6. #6

    User Info Menu

    They definitely were great quality bases. People missed out for sure not wanting them. Unfortunately it impacts all of us into the future. Makes it less likely that something else new, interesting and different will be released.

    When people think of MM basses, they seem to automatically think Stingray. Who knows if they were called something like Stingray Sabre Edition and Stingray Switch if they would have had more people buying. But then you would have some folks complaining the product naming is confusing, so yeah, you can't win.

  7. #7

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Edmang View Post
    They definitely were great quality bases. People missed out for sure not wanting them. Unfortunately it impacts all of us into the future. Makes it less likely that something else new, interesting and different will be released.

    When people think of MM basses, they seem to automatically think Stingray. Who knows if they were called something like Stingray Sabre Edition and Stingray Switch if they would have had more people buying. But then you would have some folks complaining the product naming is confusing, so yeah, you can't win.
    That's true, it would also be a big misstep to dilute the brand power of the StingRay. SR guitar notwithstanding.
    St. Vincent "Prince Vince" trans purple gold hardware stealth pg roasted bound neck
    Albert Lee MM90 piezo "Silver Surfer"
    Classic Morse
    Luke BFR Koa
    Axis Super Sport Semi-Hollow natural flame piezo
    Silhouette Special
    Stealth Bongo H
    White Cutlass Bass roasted neck

  8. #8

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by CaseyBall View Post
    The Big Al was crazy versatile with its switching and active/passive capability and a totally different body shape from most other basses on the market, but nobody wanted it.
    And it's a damned shame. I'm very happy to have two Big Al 5Hs in my possession. Like a George Jetson Bongo, these things.

  9. #9

    User Info Menu

    I agree both are Fantastic instruments and I am fortunate to own 1 of each - Sabre & Big Al
    But like we say if the masses don't support the model they get canned.

    It is kind of funny and I don't know if it is human nature to want something that they can't get
    Case in point the Akai deep impact pedal didn't sell so they discontinued it now they go for big coin on Ebay and everyone keeps asking Akai to re-issue it - I have heard mixed reviews on how good or bad they were.

    I guess the moral of the story is buy it when they are available.

    BTW Welcome Casey to the Fold I meet you at the 2007 open house I have been enjoying your posts.

    cheers Scott

  10. #10

    User Info Menu

    The Stingray is an icon an many people have lots of visual recognition with it as well as the Stingray sound. For some of us in the Stingray fandom camp we are also aware of the rather large impact the Sabre had one the sound of pop music during its heyday. I for one am glad the Classic line was bought back. If nothing else it gave us Sabre fans a whole new load of Sabres in the world to seek out and enjoy.

  11. #11

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Edmang View Post
    .......
    you would have some folks complaining the product
    naming is confusing, so yeah, you can't win.
    .... as with "EBMM Sterling" and "Sterling by MM" ;-)

    GC sells tons of MM product and reading their adverts
    it's obvious that the GC folks are especially vulnerable
    to confusion [so what else is new ?].
    EB SUB SL4 - SR4p FL [x3]
    Early EB SR4 defretted
    SR4HH FL [Moses neck]
    SL4p FL [x2] - SL4HS FL
    SL4HS FL [Moses neck]
    SR5HS alnico - SR5p FL [x2]
    Bongo4Hp FL [x2]

    "Too many basses is never enuf"

    Golem is NOT engaging in social networks.

  12. #12

    User Info Menu

    They are still out there.... just scored this one... Number 3!
    Musicman classic sabre discontinued?-19096240_10212818198910855_446096422_o-jpg

  13. #13

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by CaseyBall View Post
    Our two most recently discontinued models were both sort of polar opposites. We offered two totally different things and neither took.

    Sabre was for all intents and purposes a very straightforward, classic, accessible bass, but nobody wanted it.

    The Big Al was crazy versatile with its switching and active/passive capability and a totally different body shape from most other basses on the market, but nobody wanted it.

    Sometimes you just can't win.
    What amaze me the most is that the company that still produces de Bongo bass (no offense, but for me is one of the ugliest basses in the world), have discontinued this marvelous Sabre bass for three times in history. If people is buying more Bongos than Sabres... I don't know nothing. Of course, what I love about the Sabre is her versatility, rather than the "one trick pony" Stingray (which I had two, 4 & 5). Please don't take my words bad, I'm not trying to be disrespectful, I love Music Man basses in general. It's that when I realized that EB was discontinuing Sabres again my bass heart got broken. It's such a great bass and the work EB did with the last edition was superb.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ernie Ball Forums