Ernie Ball Paradigm
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Musicman Caprice Color & Fretboard Options

Musicman Caprice Color & Fretboard Options

Greetings,
    I'm going to be buying a Caprice this year but had a few questions regarding fretboard and body color options. Are you able to select maple or rosewood fretboard with the available color options? The Caprice page leads me to believe that only certain colors(Tobacco Burst, Black, and Red) are available with rosewood boards). I love the white color but prefer the sound of rosewood. I'm not sure if I can order this option. If not, the tobacco burst also looks stellar so I'd go with that for my number 2 choice.

Thanks,
    Greg P

P.S. After playing this bass last Sunday I was totally blown away with its balance and playability. My hands are on the smaller side of the spectrum so the combination of 1.5" nut width with 7.5" neck radius made playing effortless. Also unlike every other PJ I've played, the bridge pickup soloed sounds rich and never tinny. The variance of tone this bass is capable of is truly amazing. I've ways loved MM products but prefer passive basses so this is absolutely perfect. :-)

pics?

Yeah from everything I've heard you're limited to the color combinations you described (unless the powers that be want to make you a special deal?)

I like the Caprice, but the Cutlass is where it's at for me. I'm playing a maple board one with nylon tapewounds and it's just perfection. I do want to get a rw board one and string it with roundwounds... actually deliberating trading my SR 4H for one, though it feels like heresy to admit it.

Totally agree that these passive models knock it out of the park and think they should get more attention than they do!

I received an e-mail back from Ernie Ball which reads as follows: "We're glad you like the bass. Unfortunately color dictates the fretboard for the Caprice models. There are currently no plans to offer additional colors". Well looks like it will be Tobacco Sunburst for me! Oh and something else I'd wish they'd do....a lined fretless model! The J pickup on the Caprice is intense!

I might get the new red and swap the neck with the diamond blue I have.
    Think the coral/maple would be killer! Hopefully these basses will get some traction and stick around so that they are offered in as many options as established models!

Ernie ball also confirmed to me via email no fretless model is currently available. I wonder how they are doing sales wise with these models.

The only criticism I've seen on this bass is it's price. I can't comment on that as I don't know the production costs associated with this model. It's true the HH Sterling has an equivalent price. But the Sterling is also a much more popular model and I suspect their may be bulk buying advantages here.

I've seen the price criticism before for EBMM instruments. Yes, they may cost more than some other basses. They also cost less than some other basses. To me the quality you get is well worth the price of admission.

Just to clarify, I have absolutely no issues with the price. The quality is top notch and worth every penny. My only question is why are there so few options in color and fretboard when compared to the Sterling and Stingray? I assume it has to do with how the line is tooled up for these basses?

I def think my Cutlass is right on par with the Fodera Monarch P and Monarch P Classic I played. You pay for the materials, for the fit/finish, for the reputation, and sure for the prestige. They fill a great niche in the EBMM product line, but it'll always be a battle against the masses convinced that a passive p/j should cost about $400 max.

I think/hope if they catch on the options will only diversify.

I hope so too. I actually enjoy playing it more than my cherished G&L JB! And I love that bass.

Quote Originally Posted by kinopah View Post
    Hopefully these basses will get some traction and stick around so that they are offered in as many options as established models!
    I'm hoping a 5 string is in the works.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmang View Post
    I'm hoping a 5 string is in the works.
    There was a Reddit chat with a member of the Ball family several months back and someone asked about this. They said possibly 2018. I'm hoping that's still the case. I'm ready to buy.

2016 Caprice Heritage Tobacco
    2013 Sterling 4 HH Sapphire Black
    2014 Sterling 5 HH Vintage Sunburst
    2009 Stingray 4 Slo Special HH White

2011 Silhouette HSH Candy Apple Red
    2011 Silhouette HSH Vintage Sunburst
    2016 Cutlass Ivory White
    2016 Valentine Trans Buttermilk

Thanks everyone for all the replies. So great to find this board :-)
    I've been a jazz bass guy my entire life and this bass just fills in the main weakness of the JB IMHO. Specifically, the lack in emphasis in the low midrange. I've played quite a few PJ's before but the P was always a bit too "honky" for me. The P pickup in the Caprice is very mellow and gives that subtle low mid boost without slapping you in the face. Also when the J is soloed on the PJ's i've played it always sounds very "tinny" to my ears. But the J on the caprice even when soloed sounds full and harmonically rich. I should be picking one up in the coming months. I have a BFR Redwood Stingray I need to part with and then I should have sufficient funds. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by kinopah View Post
    I might get the new red and swap the neck with the diamond blue I have.
    Think the coral/maple would be killer! Hopefully these basses will get some traction and stick around so that they are offered in as many options as established models!
    I almost want to buy a cheap used Diamond Blue model so I can do exactly this, as I would prefer a Coral/Maple configuration.... ugh, that's an expensive neck, though.