Ernie Ball Paradigm
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just ordered My Caprice!

Quote Originally Posted by GregP View Post
    So I just got my Caprice yesterday.
    Wow, what a beautiful instrument. The black/rosewood is such a wonderfully striking combination. Right off the bat let me just tell you this bass is light light light! So much so that I have to switch out my straps. I'm using a Souldier seat belt strap which doesn't give me enough friction and I'm getting a little neck dive. So I just ordered one of those 2.5'' Ernie Ball Neoprene Comfort Straps. That should do the trick :-)

I've played quite a few EBMM products over the years... and I have to say this bass feels the best out of all of them. And there's the added benefit that its' mine, LOL. The neck is incredibly fast playing. The 1.5'' nut width combined with a 7.5'' radius is the perfect combination for me. My hands are on the smaller side of the spectrum. With a 12'' radius I tend to shift my thumb when fretting with my 3rd and 4th finger to get a proper arc. With the 7.5'' radius I have to shift much less which makes playing effortless. Speaking of effortless, those narrow frets are amazing. I've never played an instrument with narrow frets before and it is just so easy to slide and move around the fretboard quickly with them. Oh and the satin finish on the neck is just stellar as one would expect.

So tonally, it's definitely a very versatile instrument. You can def use either pickup by itself but most of your volume is going to come from the neck pickup. The amount of gain is definitely biased towards that pickup. If you just solo the neck pickup you get that nice slightly aggressive mid range lift those split coils are known for. You can absolutely play it that way and it would work better on some songs for sure. But there's just this wonderful magic that happens when both pickups are maxed. The bridge pickup serves to mellow out the tone of neck pickup. In addition, it adds a tone that fills in the bottom in a very linear fashion. So what you end up with is a tone with a nice low mid bump and a very even sounding bottom end. It's truly an amazing instrument. I will report back later w/more findings :-)
    Very glad that you're happy with your bass! Put up some pics!
    St. Vincent "Prince Vince" trans purple gold hardware stealth pg roasted bound neck
    Albert Lee MM90 piezo "Silver Surfer"
    Classic Morse
    Luke BFR Koa
    Axis Super Sport Semi-Hollow natural flame piezo
    Silhouette Special
    Stealth Bongo H
    White Cutlass Bass roasted neck

Beautiful :-)

Very nice! Bet it sounds as good as it looks

I was just showing my partner all the different tones you can get out of this wonderful bass. I started with the neck pickup only and then gradually rolled the bridge to full. She perfectly described the difference in tone from neck pickup only to both pickups dimed. "It's like going from 2D to 3D". I couldn't have put it better myself. Once I dime both pickups I just never want to take it off that setting. :-)

We're taking it to our local shop to have it set up with some EB Cobalt Flats. The rounds on it sound good but those cobalts flats are just amazing and more in line with my tonal preferences.

Wow! So I got my bass back from being set up with the EBMM Cobalt Flats. Soloed the neck pickup and set the tone knob to zero. Rocked out a little "I Heard It Through the Grapevine". And I only have one thing to say...."Holy Jamerson, Batman!!!". The tone is dead on! The only way it could be made better is with that Classic Stingray Mute Bridge(Hint Hint!) ;-)
    -Greg P

Wow! So I got my bass back from being set up with the EBMM Cobalt Flats. Soloed the neck pickup and set the tone knob to zero. Rocked out a little "I Heard It Through the Grapevine". And I only have one thing to say...."Holy Jamerson, Batman!!!". The tone is dead on! The only way it could be made better is with that Classic Stingray Mute Bridge(Hint Hint!) ;-)
    -Greg P
    Not sure what other strings might sound like on mine - and am unlikely to ever find out. I'm with you. Those Cobalt Flats and the Caprice - a match made in Tone Heaven.

G String Slipping

Dear Community,
    When I got my bass restrung and setup the installer had an issue with the G string slipping when it was being brought up to pitch. So he did some work around where he looped the string. I didn't like the look of this so I ordered a replacement G string. However, when I went to string it today I experienced the same issue. To the best of my knowledge I'm doing everything correctly. Cutting the string ~10cm beyond the post, putting a 90 degree bend at the end of the wire, cutting just beyond the bend, the windings going under each other...but when I get around D or D# the string just slips and I can't bring it up to pitch. I've got another G coming this Friday. The only thing I can figure is the saddle on the G string is lower than the saddle on the D string any maybe that's adding unnecessary tension???

Best Regards,
    -Greg P

Quote Originally Posted by kinopah View Post
    This may be just enough to prompt me to wait patiently instead of ordering a color I'm less interested in!

Dear Community,
    When I got my bass restrung and setup the installer had an issue with the G string slipping when it was being brought up to pitch. So he did some work around where he looped the string. I didn't like the look of this so I ordered a replacement G string. However, when I went to string it today I experienced the same issue. To the best of my knowledge I'm doing everything correctly. Cutting the string ~10cm beyond the post, putting a 90 degree bend at the end of the wire, cutting just beyond the bend, the windings going under each other...but when I get around D or D# the string just slips and I can't bring it up to pitch. I've got another G coming this Friday. The only thing I can figure is the saddle on the G string is lower than the saddle on the D string any maybe that's adding unnecessary tension???

Best Regards,
    -Greg P
    Well, I found out why my G string kept slipping. I neglected to loop the string through the post. As I tell the kids..."Reading is FUNdamental!".

Well, I found out why my G string kept slipping. I neglected to loop the string through the post. As I tell the kids..."Reading is FUNdamental!".
    There ya go!
    2014 Sterling 5H Black w/ Maple - F28653
    2001 Sterling 4H Blue Dawn w/ Maple - F04289
    2015 Stingray 4H SLO Special Black Cherry w/ Rosewood - E96203
    2011 Classic Stingray 5H Lake Tahoe Blue

After playing with the Cobalt Flats I definitely think the Caprice should ship with them. They just seem to bring out the best in this bass. :-)

I am interested in this Bass, I wonder if EB are looking to add more body colours and fingerboard options in regards to either being rosewood or maple?

Don't get me wrong I love, love, love how light this bass is(8.3lbs) but i'm getting a little neck dive when standing. Can the community recommend me a strap that may alleviate this issue. I think the ones I have aren't grippy enough(made of seatbelt).
    I like the 3" variety. :-)

Best Regards,
    -Greg P