Music Man Modern Classics
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old Smoothie

User Info Menu

That looks like a great bass. Is it true that Old Smoothie is a throwback to an original Leo Fender pickup design that was used on one or more of the prototype MM basses?
    I would love to try one out.
    Play bass in tune and often.
    30th anniversary Stingray.
    Sub Stingray
    SUB Stingray5
    SUB Sterling

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BCbassman View Post
    That looks like a great bass. Is it true that Old Smoothie is a throwback to an original Leo Fender pickup design that was used on one or more of the prototype MM basses?
    I would love to try one out.
    You should check this video out about the old smoothie Ernie Ball Music Man StingRay Bass | 40th Anniversary - YouTube

User Info Menu

Am I correct in assuming the Old Smoothie is a standard production model now? If so, I wish the GC near me would start stocking them ;-)
    Last edited by GregP; 02-22-2019 at 03:01 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GregP View Post
    Am I correct in assuming the Old Smoothie is a standard production model now? If so, I wish the GC near me would start stocking them ;-)
    Old Smoothie | Basses | Ernie Ball Music Man

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RobertB View Post
    Played this one today. Incredible. Fit & finish, it may be the most beautiful bass I've ever held in my hands. The figured roasted neck is stunning, the binding, that translucent buttermilk finish, just gorgeous. Incredible tone. I could definitely hear the difference. I've seen the word "mellow" by comparison. I'm not sure I would use that word. Maybe more focused. Super, super classy. It was a joy to play. I'm still not sure what the impending NBD holds for me. I'm loving the Special 4HH's. If you're thinking about one of these, I can attest that it's very special. Jason at DCGL is great. This bass is not out on the floor, you kinda have to know what you're looking for and ask about it. If I'm not misspeaking, this is a Limited Old Smoothie, less than 100 of them.

User Info Menu

Saw elsewhere that this is actually a BFR run/edition. Makes sense. The other great touch I meant to mention is the maple skunk stripe. Against the figured roasted neck, it's a gorgeous, very classy look.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RobertB View Post
    Saw elsewhere that this is actually a BFR run/edition. Makes sense. The other great touch I meant to mention is the maple skunk stripe. Against the figured roasted neck, it's a gorgeous, very classy look.
    I would love to see a picture of that, please.

I found one; that is very nice.
    Last edited by Tollie; 03-02-2019 at 10:38 AM.

2018 Axis - BFR - Buckeye Burl
    2017 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord - Tahitian Blue
    2017 StingRay 5 - 30th Anniversary - Buttercream
    2013 Albert Lee - BFR - Pinkburst
    2013 Luke III - PDN - emerald green sparkle with an all rosewood neck
    2012 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord
    2012 Axis - PDN - Honeyburst
    2011 Axis - BFR - Black Sugar Roasted
    2009 Axis - Pink Quilt (Oinky)
    2006 StingRay - 30th Anniversary fretless
    1996 StingRay - 20th Anniversary

User Info Menu

I was poking around on TalkBass, and found one of my earliest posts there from 2002:

I was wondering...

What would happen if you used a 5-string pickup on a 4-string instrument? As long as the two pickups were designed for the same inter-string spacing, you'd end up with something that looks like this:

(pole)string(pole)string(pole)string(pole)string(p ole)

What would it sound like? Has anyone tried this?
    Old Smoothie-2019-04-08-2-png
    Current:
    2000 Stingray trans. gold w/match head, 3eq+piezo, unlined, Rotosound RS77LD
    Mesa Walkabout Scout 1x12 combo, Boss TU-2/AD-2/BC-1X/FZ-3/BB-1X/RV-6

Former:
    1995 Stingray sunburst, 3eq, unlined
    2002 Stingray trans. gold w/match head, 3eq, unlined

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by amper View Post
    I was poking around on TalkBass, and found one of my earliest posts there from 2002:

Old Smoothie-2019-04-08-2-png
    I love people who think out side the box