Ernie Ball Paradigm

Thread: White bongo discolouration

White bongo discolouration

Hey all, I bought this white bongo HS with swapped black hardware from a forum member roughly 4 or 5 years ago. I bought it knowing the white would slowly cream. I love the natural cream it's turned into. However the back of the neck is doing its own thing.

Can anyone tell me what's going on there? The blue "rash" has been spreading and I have a few other spots where the white paint has disappeared.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

How do you store it? What strap do you use? Do you use a bag? What stand do you use?
    The first white color bongos were discontinued, because the white color of the body set apart from the neck color.
    I guess its an chemical reaction. Play it and you will reach the wood someday and all is good.
    1979 StingRay natural maple

Stored in the case almost at all times. Strap never touches the neck. I used to use a bag but not for a long time. This effect is more recent.

My first guess would be acid sweat. For example, I know from talking with firearm refinishers that some people have very corrosive sweat that can rust out even the best bluing jobs in less than a day if not immediately wiped down and re-oiled. So, based solely on instinct, I'm inclined to agree with Bert that it's a chemical reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbassguitar View Post
    My first guess would be acid sweat. For example, I know from talking with firearm refinishers that some people have very corrosive sweat that can rust out even the best bluing jobs in less than a day if not immediately wiped down and re-oiled. So, based solely on instinct, I'm inclined to agree with Bert that it's a chemical reaction.
    I was thinking the same thing. When dealing with classical guitars I've heard many people extoll the virtue of washing your hands before handling your instrument to avoid damage, could be the case here as well.
    St. Vincent "Prince Vince" trans purple gold hardware stealth pg roasted bound neck
    Albert Lee MM90 piezo "Silver Surfer"
    Classic Morse
    Luke BFR Koa
    Axis Super Sport Semi-Hollow natural flame piezo
    Silhouette Special
    Stealth Bongo H
    White Cutlass Bass roasted neck

a road worn bongo, I like it

90s Stingray Teal with birdseye maple neck.

When I left school in 99 my folks helped me by a fender floyd rose classic strat, it was my dream guitar at the time and I had it in vintage white. However after a few months it developed grey patches all over the back and sides of the body. At the time I was a bit annoyed about it but as it was built to order and took 6 months to receive I never sent it back. I never found out what caused it but I always put it down to a reaction with something it had come into contact with. If it doesn't affect the playability I'd play it until that finish is worn off and enjoy the hell out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Musicman Silhouette special w/rosewood neck
    Musicman Sterling 5 HH
    Music Man SUB5 bass
    Music Man SUB 1 guitar

My limited edition Buttercream (off-white) suffered a simlar fate. Right about the same spot where the neck touches the neck support in the case (coincidence, maybe) the paint started turning black. It would get a little chalky feeling right there. At first, a quick scrub would remove the oddness. But it kept returning. And returning. And returning. Finally, after enough cleaning, I wore through the paint to the bare wood. :-o

At that point, more drastic measures were called for. The neck was removed, and the paint from the nut to the bolts was gently scraped/sanded off. Once bare, the wood was coated with linseed oil and carnauba (sp?) wax. The neck feels fantastic now, bare wood and all that.
    EBMM Stingray 4 H 2006 Trans Crimson 30th Anniversary
    EBMM Bongo 5 HH 2003 Desert Gold
    EBMM Bongo 5 HS 2005 Buttercream Limited Edition

MarkBass SA450 - Bergantino HS210

I owned that bass for a while.... pre black hardware.
    BONGO 4H Tobacco Burst (2015 PDN)
    CLASSIC STINGRAY 4H White (MHS)
    SBMM JP50 Stealth W/ Dimarzio LF/CL
    SBMM SUB SB4 Red
    Former owner of...
    BONGO - 4HH (Rolls Burgandy), 4Hp ("Small EQ"/Medallion Gold), 4H (Ice Blue), 5HSp (White), 4H (Black Sugar), 4H (PDN Honeyburst)
    STINGRAY - 4H (30TH), 4H (Dargie Delight), 4H (VSB/BFR RW Neck), 5H (08 LE)
    STERLING - 4HH (Dargie Delight), 4H (Stealth), 4HS (Natural)
    25TH - 5HH (Venetian Red)
    BIG AL - 4SSS (Olive Gold)

Wow - White Bongo = super rare and in my experience virtually unobtanium.

If it was mine, as well as having one of the basses and colour combinations of my dreams, I'd not worry about it and let it wear through.

As Bert said, these white Bongos were quickly dropped, it was said (on this forum) owing to reasons of neck and body colour matching issues.

If anyone wants to sell me one please let me know!!!
    2014 Neptune Blue Classic Sabre - roasted maple neck with maple board, mahogany body
    2010 SR4 classic collection coral red/birdseye maple neck and board with Flatwounds
    2008 Bongo 5HHp lava pearl
    2007 SR4HH Blue Dawn LE/rosewood board
    2003 SR5H Natural/maple board
    1993 SR4 Fretless Sunburst birdseye maple neck
    1993 SR4 blueburst with flamed maple neck and board
    Markbass LM3/standard 2x10 HF and 2 x 10 Traveller now that's loud!

I've got the stealth pearl (white) Bongo 5 and it sees regular use, but I haven't seen any discoloration on mine. I'm pretty methodical about cleaning it after gigs and rehearsals. I'm not sure if that's the same color as the OP but I've had mine for a couple of years and so far, so good.
    Buncha Rays and Bongos

I have hands that unfortunately seem to want to leave sweat everywhere! I have learn to wipe down all necks/frets/hardware asap after playing...even if just quickly.

That may be a similar reaction that has happened over time.

I love white Bongos.

FYI - I have a beauty of a white Ray HH which unfortunately went yellow quick quickly in random places. No doubt it will now be more even, and all over, but I don't have the bass now.

My Ray 5 HS is a little more yellow now, being 7 years old, but to be honest, it's hard to tell as it has done it very evenly.

I'm a little wary of white nowadays which is a shame.
    2010 Stingray 5 HS White/Tort/Rw
    2011 Stingray 4 H 3 Band EQ Vintage Sunburst/Black/Mp w/flame/birdseye figuring
    2011 Big Al 5 SSS Vintage Sunburst/Tort/Rw
    2011 Sterling 5 HS Tobacco Burst/Black/Rw
    2011 Stingray 5 Classic Natural/Black/Birdseye Mp
    2012 Bongo 5 HH Tangerine Pearl/Black
    2013 Bongo 5 HS Sky Blue/Vintage White Pearl
    2013 Stingray 5 HH Honeyburst/White/Mp
    2014 Albert Lee HH Vintage Sunburst/Tort/ALL Rw!

Thanks for all the help guys. This is by far my favorite instrument so I have played it like mad for years now. I guess I will do as you all say and keep playing it. The discolouration doesn't bother me as long as it isn't an alien growing in the neck.

For anyone who cares to know I picked it up from a for sale ad on these forums. I had seen a couple posts (probably in the archives here somewhere) of one of the forum members switching the hardware from his stealth HSp onto this HSp. Now. It had everything I wanted. White/cream, with black hardware AND HSp??? A few months or over a year later, I had a surplus of cash. First thing I did was check the for sale on these forums and sure enough, this bass had just been posted.

That's a sign if I've ever seen one. Thanks to the previous owners!

Here is a bonus pic of Beauty and the Beast