Ernie Ball Paradigm

Thread: Question for Bongo Hp/H owners

Question for Bongo Hp/H owners

Recently I aquired a bongo 5 Hp with the understanding that the single H bongo basses have only a 3 band EQ. This one however, has a 4 band EQ. I guess the piezo single H models were all like that.

My question is, for those that have used both the 3 band and 4 band EQ single h bongo models, is there a discernible difference tonewise between the two? Obviously theres one less band of EQ, but I wonder if the tone is any different from the two aside from that.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by epitaph04 View Post
    Recently I aquired a bongo 5 Hp with the understanding that the single H bongo basses have only a 3 band EQ. This one however, has a 4 band EQ. I guess the piezo single H models were all like that.

My question is, for those that have used both the 3 band and 4 band EQ single h bongo models, is there a discernible difference tonewise between the two? Obviously theres one less band of EQ, but I wonder if the tone is any different from the two aside from that.

Thank you!
    The P adds a different dimension altogether. I think, taking the P out of the equation, you are asking about 3 vs 4 band? The 4 band lets you get into some deep crevices of sonic profile but is more complex. The 3 is nice simplicity that can still level an entire city block. I like the 4 band (and think you truly benefit) with the P just for the high/low mid controls. It gives you the shaping tools that I think the P kinda needs. BUT, IMO (which is worth next to nothing) I love the 3 band for just the H (it is easy to dial in and you aren't miss too much more since the P isn't there). Tone wise, (taking the P out of the equation) they are similar beasts.

Since you have an Hp... you have the right eq and you aren't "missing" out on the Bongo magic
    - Ritch
    Bongo 4H - Limited Fritz the Kat Lime Green - Kermit
    Bongo 4H - Dargie Delight
    Bongo 4HH - Sky Blue
    Sterling 4H - Trans Purple

GK and MarkBass stuff

Does this bass have the two concentric knobs? I'm thinking yours is still a 3 band but needs another knob to control piezo volume.
    St. Vincent "Prince Vince" trans purple gold hardware stealth pg roasted bound neck
    Albert Lee MM90 piezo "Silver Surfer"
    Classic Morse
    Luke BFR Koa
    Axis Super Sport Semi-Hollow natural flame piezo
    Silhouette Special
    Stealth Bongo H
    White Cutlass Bass roasted neck

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyBall View Post
    Does this bass have the two concentric knobs? I'm thinking yours is still a 3 band but needs another knob to control piezo volume.
    I no longer have it but it had (from left to right, playing POV) a master volume, a piezo/magnetic blend knob, and then the two concentric knobs, which to my ear sounded like (left to right once more) low mid/high mid, and bass/treble, just like my bongo 6 H/S.