The Vault

Thread: Classic SR 5 First Gig Impressions

User Info Menu

Classic SR 5 First Gig Impressions

Picked up a beautiful white SR5 Classic recently and gigged with it live for first time last night. My usual bass is a recent issue (non-classic) SR5 with maple board and standard 3 band EQ, and I've gotta say that the Classic had a punch and presence that no other basses I own have... it sounded fantastic thru my SWR combo. Seems like I can dial in more sizzle and thump more easily with this bass than my standard SR5. I'll need to get used to a laquered neck again, but gotta say the Classic kicked some serious booty. To my ears, there's a substantial difference between the 2 and 3 band EQ's, surprisingly. It's a killer rock bass for sure and bought me back to the tones I'd get from my old '79 'Ray, which is long dormant due to lack of that 5th string.. ;-)

User Info Menu

I just got a new classic 4 string Stingray last week and took it to my gig with my non classic Ray like yourself. I had a very similar experience. While I still love my other stingrays the classic was strong like bull lol. A Classic 5 is in my future for sure.

User Info Menu

I say 'Go For It'...

User Info Menu

No denying it, the classic Rays do have a great powerful sound.
    St. Vincent "Prince Vince" trans purple gold hardware stealth pg roasted bound neck
    Albert Lee MM90 piezo "Silver Surfer"
    Classic Morse
    Luke BFR Koa
    Axis Super Sport Semi-Hollow natural flame piezo
    Silhouette Special
    Stealth Bongo H
    White Cutlass Bass roasted neck