Ernie Ball Paradigm

Thread: Yet Another Flatwounds Thread.... :)

Yet Another Flatwounds Thread.... :)

I haven't been on the forums for awhile. I haven't been playing too much bass in the last few years (raising a young family), but I've been starting to get back into it. I have two StingRays from my rockin' country days - a Classic and a standard.

My 11 year old daughter has been learning the fiddle and tin whistle - playing lots of Celtic and North American roots music. I've been going to workshops with her and accompanying her and the other participants on my guitar. I'd like to start doing so on bass as well, but I'm going to have to "tame" my 'Rays somewhat - aside from dialing in the EQ and playing close to the neck, I'm also going to ditch the roundwounds and put some flats on them.

I'd like to put some Ernie Ball flatwounds on them - but I'd have to order them online (I live in the far North). Flats are expensive, so would you guys recommend the Cobalt slinky flats or the Group IIIs? Keep in mind I'd want to stay in the background, but I'd still want enough presence to provide a foundation for several fiddlers and acoustic guitars.

Thanks in advance for the advice.
    StingRay H (Vintage Sunburst/Maple FB)
    Classic StingRay H (Lake Tahoe Blue/Maple FB)
    Markbass LMIII/104HF Standard

Unfortunately, I've never had the pleasure of playing the Group III's. However, I currently have the Cobalt flats on my Caprice. They exhibit a strong fundamental with striking clarity. They have none of the mudd that I've come to expect with traditional flats. In additional, they are super flexible and very easy to play. Im sure someone in the community will chime in with Group III experience.

Best of luck,
    -Greg
    Last edited by GregP; 10-08-2017 at 04:27 PM.

The Cobalt Flats are wonderful but still have a lot of brightness to them, especially for the first few months.

I actually have nylon tapewounds on one of my Rays and I've been amazed at how great they've been. Makes it really easy to eq that p bass thing. I do love the cobalts though - just don't expect them to not cut on a SR! I also have not played the group iii, so afraid I'm no help there.

Group IIIs are fine strings, flatwounds from the old-school Jamerson/Carol Kaye school of bass playing. They are also a very good value-priced flatwound string.
    If you can still find them out there in retail-land, they will provide a more mellow tone than the Cobalt flats.
    For what you describe as your tone goals, I think the Group IIIs would be ideal.
    Otherwise, can't go wrong with the Cobalts.
    If you like to remove zing altogether, then you could also look at the aforementioned black nylon tapewounds from Labella, but that's a whole different ballgame tonewise.