Ernie Ball Paradigm

Thread: This Stingray V I got from Armybass

This Stingray V I got from Armybass

This is not the first time I have been really excited by a new (to me) bass. I admit that.

I think this is my 4th SR5....it gets a little blurry when so many basses have passed through your collection. This one is one of those special basses. Why? I have no idea.

Yes it has all the great Ernie Ball innovations that others are starting to copy..you know a truss rod adjustment that works and you can get to it without damaging the instrument...tapered string posts on the tuners and that cool compensated nut. It also has the electronics that make it stand out in the mix and it sounds so very fine. Yes, the workmanship is as close to perfect as it can be...it looks great...feels great...and has a remarkable B string.

But....there is some magic in this one. What? Perhaps this one got a special blessing somewhere in the factory. This is one of the best electric basses I have ever played and I have played a lot of them.

My collection of basses has been as high as 22 but I have it down to 12 including some very expensive instruments by the so called boutique makers. This Stingray is an amazing bass and I know Scott is already wishing he had kept it. Yes, he has another one on order but will it be as good as this one? For his sake, I sincerely hope so.

Hi Chuck. I know what you mean - sometimes an instrument just resonates and seems to be more "alive" than most. I have a pink Axis that plays like that.

Congrats and enjoy!

2015 Luke III - BFR - Blackburst
    2014 Luke - BFR - Koa
    2013 Albert Lee - BFR (Pinkbert) with Sustainiac and Gravity Storm
    2013 Luke III - emerald green sparkle with an all rosewood neck
    2012 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord
    2012 Axis - PDN - Honeyburst
    2011 Axis - BFR - Black Sugar Roasted
    2009 Axis - Pink Quilt (Oinky) with pink video game button killswitch
    2006 StingRay - 30th Anniversary fretless

Colonial Heights, Virginia, United States
    Well now you're just rubbing it in man! LOL.... Chuck it just makes me happy that it went to you, someone who can appreciate a bass that has it all in all the right places. IMHO, no fanboi shiznit here, but EBMM has been the most consistent company over the past 30 years of putting out quality feeling, sounding and playing basses. I have had probably a lot more of them than most people but the overwhelming majority have been like this wonderful SR5. I too have had a gaggle of booteeks, and they are all gone and I am waiting for my 3rd, 4th and 5th that I have ordered to be delivered.

Keep enjoying that bass man!

I am playing my SR5 this morning and it does not sound as good as I thought it did. It sounds much better! This is THE ONE!

Have you changed strings and on it yet Chuck?

No, Scott. It has D'Adarrio XL's on it. I use those strings on most of my basses. I am looking forward to trying the Cobalt flats on my fretless. That should be a wonderful string on a fretless.

Well hopefully you got them today.

Chuck, I think my all rosewood neck SR5 has some of that same magic. Mine came with DAddario EXL165-5 rounds, too - and they’re the first rounds I’ve ever liked. It’s a tone monster that the band loves.
    Ken

Venetian Redburst 25th 5H / Desert Gold Bongo 5H / Honeyburst Sterling 5H / White w/Rosewood Neck StingRay 5H / Blue Pearl Sterling 4H
    And a bunch of non-EBMM stuff!