Axis Capo
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I can't be the first of you to see this! NAMM 2018 / Musicman 2018 models.

User Info Menu

Wonder whether the normal Ray model is gone for good and you go to the Classic for that?
    2010 Stingray 5 HS White/Tort/Rw
    2011 Stingray 4 H 3 Band EQ Vintage Sunburst/Black/Mp w/flame/birdseye figuring
    2011 Big Al 5 SSS Vintage Sunburst/Tort/Rw
    2011 Sterling 5 HS Tobacco Burst/Black/Rw
    2011 Stingray 5 Classic Natural/Black/Birdseye Mp
    2012 Bongo 5 HH Tangerine Pearl/Black
    2013 Bongo 5 HS Sky Blue/Vintage White Pearl
    2013 Stingray 5 HH Honeyburst/White/Mp
    2014 Albert Lee HH Vintage Sunburst/Tort/ALL Rw!
    2016 Stingray HH Guitar Black/Black/Rw

User Info Menu

That would be a sensible way to keep moving the 'Ray into the future while honoring its legacy.
    ok fine, fer sure, fer sure

User Info Menu

From the looks of the website I guess the Game Changer is officially discontinued? That's too bad...as someone else in the musical-instrument/gear industry I suppose it's not too surprising something so modern like that ended up being a tough sell. An industry where vintage/throwback gear and reissues almost always dominate sales. Hopefully something they revisit in the future.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Formerly MSilvers but forgot all my log-in info...

2012 Game Changer Bass
    2008 Stingray 4 HH

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Movielife View Post
    Wonder whether the normal Ray model is gone for good and you go to the Classic for that?
    Yep, that period is over. And the old bridge is now gone, too, replaced by the Cutlass/Caprice style bridge.

I am TOLD by REPUTABLE SOURCES that these new Stingrays will be significantly lighter, too.

I like this. I like all of this.

User Info Menu

Glad you do because my bank account won't!
    ok fine, fer sure, fer sure

User Info Menu

I would definitely entertain a HH Ray 4 in the new design.

I’m super impressed by the progression with EBMM. The guitar side is also amazing and much more to my tastes now.
    2010 Stingray 5 HS White/Tort/Rw
    2011 Stingray 4 H 3 Band EQ Vintage Sunburst/Black/Mp w/flame/birdseye figuring
    2011 Big Al 5 SSS Vintage Sunburst/Tort/Rw
    2011 Sterling 5 HS Tobacco Burst/Black/Rw
    2011 Stingray 5 Classic Natural/Black/Birdseye Mp
    2012 Bongo 5 HH Tangerine Pearl/Black
    2013 Bongo 5 HS Sky Blue/Vintage White Pearl
    2013 Stingray 5 HH Honeyburst/White/Mp
    2014 Albert Lee HH Vintage Sunburst/Tort/ALL Rw!
    2016 Stingray HH Guitar Black/Black/Rw

User Info Menu

So is my understanding correct: Neodymium PU, 18 V preamp and this also with a new different voicing? The 30A SR5 had a differently voiced preamp and there was sone discussion here why not transfer this to the whole SR line. It seems this was heard.
    For the SR5 this would mean the 4th change of PU magnets, right? ALNICO - Ceramic - ALNICO - Neodymium. I would love to a/b the new one to my favorite 2015 SR5.
    2015 Bongo 5 HH, Sterling Silver, Rosewood Neck
    2015 Bongo 5 H, Neptune Blue, Birdseye Maple
    2017 StingRay 5, 30th Anniversary, Flammed Maple
    Xotic XJ 1T5, Natural, Maple
    Sandberg TT5p passive, Maple

User Info Menu

Is this everything they're unveiling for NAMM? Was hoping for a anniversary model Sterling and the St. Vincent bass.

User Info Menu

PEOPLE. It's a Stingray with semi-Bongo electronics! And lighter weight, to boot.

Tough crowd.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dtyndall View Post
    Is this everything they're unveiling for NAMM? Was hoping for a anniversary model Sterling and the St. Vincent bass.
    Yea, I'll be pretty disappointed if that's it on the bass side. It's early. Maybe they have some surprises left.

User Info Menu

So the video says the Stingray will be available in 12 colors. Anyone know what the 12 colors will be?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Miller View Post
    So the video says the Stingray will be available in 12 colors. Anyone know what the 12 colors will be?
    The neck through Stingrays will be offered in 7 colors and the the new 4 and 5 string bolt on necks will be offered in 12 colors. I have the order list but don’t know if I’m okay to say what the colors are or not as NAMM just started. If someone from EBMM says I can say what the colors are, then I will post what they are.

User Info Menu

On the clips I can't decide which I like better, the 2017 or the new 2018 stingray. They definitely sound different. Did the 3-band preamp lose the built-in high pass filter that it had? It sounds like it--the 2018 sounds smoother and deeper, with a less pronounced upper midrange. I like the 5-bolt contoured heel, that's always been a wishlist item of mine. Lighter is better, also. I'm a little sad to see the big bolts go, they were always a funky detail I liked, sort of like the old string mutes that nobody ever used.

You're not going to get me to give up my '94 Ray but these are a nice update. Has anybody talked to Hipshot to get a new D-Tuner model rolling?

Tom

User Info Menu

Oh wow. Those are some pretty big re-designs across the board. Though, is 18V really necessary? I haven't felt limited by having "only" a 9V preamp on my Stingrays. Does this mean more boosting overhead?

The St Vincent HH is nice... but honestly it's the 3 mini humbuckers that really made it more interesting to me. With two humbuckers it's more "vanilla".
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JayDawg View Post
    The neck through Stingrays will be offered in 7 colors and the the new 4 and 5 string bolt on necks will be offered in 12 colors. I have the order list but don’t know if I’m okay to say what the colors are or not as NAMM just started. If someone from EBMM says I can say what the colors are, then I will post what they are.
    I am all ears.