Ernie Ball CRNR Slash
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Questions about the new 2018 Stingray

Quote Originally Posted by RocketMusic View Post
    And that is confirmed. No spec changes to the following bass models for 2018:

Stingray 4/5 Classic Basses
    Stingray Old Smoothie
    Stingray 4/5 Neck Through
    Modern Classic Basses
    hmmm no mention of Bongos or Sterlings... should we be worried?

Are the neck finishes on the new 2018 Classics still going to have that heavy thick clear coat finish? It seems such a shame to use that finish over the oil finish that the regular Stingrays have. I have the 2017 Stingray with an oil finished neck and a natural 2017 Classic which has a gorgeous birdseye maple neck that is coated in this thick plastic like gloss and I totally prefer the oil finish. Its much smoother and faster. I'm thinking of sanding it down bare and just Tru oil finish it. Any ideas why EBMM went to using these finishes vs the oil finish? Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread.

The oil and wax versus poly neck finish is a long-running debate amongst internet bassists. There are two definite camps. I suppose the Classics and Old Smoothies use the finished necks because that's how they were way back in the 70s when pterodactyls blackened the skies over SLO.

I've been looking at the colors again and am starting to really like the Charcoal Sparkle finish on the SR4. Can someone tell me if the hardware will be black, or can it be ordered with the chrome hardware?

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dandy View Post
    I've been looking at the colors again and am starting to really like the Charcoal Sparkle finish on the SR4. Can someone tell me if the hardware will be black, or can it be ordered with the chrome hardware?

Thanks again!
    The hardware on Charcoal Sparkle SR4/5 will be matte black with a black pickguard and ebony fretboard.
    Have you got G.A.S. for another EBMM???
    Visit the all new
    https://www.DUBALDOMUSIC.com! <--- My Store --->DuBaldo Music on Facebook & on twitter
    Do you want to TRADE your used EBMM in for a NEW one? -- Email me for details!
    pete@dubaldomusic.com <--- My email
    www.YELLOW9.com <--- My band

Quote Originally Posted by Joeglow View Post
    Are the neck finishes on the new 2018 Classics still going to have that heavy thick clear coat finish? It seems such a shame to use that finish over the oil finish that the regular Stingrays have. I have the 2017 Stingray with an oil finished neck and a natural 2017 Classic which has a gorgeous birdseye maple neck that is coated in this thick plastic like gloss and I totally prefer the oil finish. Its much smoother and faster. I'm thinking of sanding it down bare and just Tru oil finish it. Any ideas why EBMM went to using these finishes vs the oil finish? Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread.
    The Classic Series retain the clear gloss finish while the revamped SR4/5 have oil/wax treatment on the roasted neck. You could probably lightly scuff the gloss neck with a 3M green pad to get a closer to raw wood finish without having to fully strip it down.
    Visit the all new
    https://www.DUBALDOMUSIC.com! <--- My Store --->DuBaldo Music on Facebook & on twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Edmang View Post
    hmmm no mention of Bongos or Sterlings... should we be worried?
    The Sterling has a lot of options available for both 4 and 5 string models including H, HH, HS, fretless (lined or unlined), as well as lefty 4H models

The Bongo is still available in 4H, 4HH, 4HS, 5HH, 5HS, and 6HH, 6HS versions, also in lined/unlined fretless
    Visit the all new

Thanks again Pete!

Glad to help!
    Visit the all new

What about the SR5? Is that getting a makeover for 2018 the same way the SR4 is?

Yup. New hardware, different contours, 18V preamp and neodymium pickup(s).

Quote Originally Posted by bovinehost View Post
    Yup. New hardware, different contours, 18V preamp and neodymium pickup(s).
    Very cool. I hope I'll be able to find one at a store so I can check it out. I definitely miss not having the Bongo 5H as an option but if the new SR5 comes close that might be a great alternative.

Bongo 5H, BFR Roasted, Black Sugar
    Bongo 5Hp Fretless, Mahogany, Roasted, Honey Burst

BTW...where can a guy see all the new colours for the SR4 and/or SR5 models? I checked the website and have seen some of them in the videos but is there somewhere you guys are looking to see all of the new colours and their names etc? Thanks!

Bongo 5H, BFR Roasted, Black Sugar
    Bongo 5Hp Fretless, Mahogany, Roasted, Honey Burst

Colonial Heights, Virginia, United States
    I feel I’m gonna be needing a Green SR5. Oh Greg.............pm sent.

Quote Originally Posted by armybass View Post
    I feel I’m gonna be needing a Green SR5. Oh Greg.............pm sent.
    PM received! LOL
    Owner, Rocket Music
    www.RocketMusic.net