Ernie Ball Paradigm
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Questions about the new 2018 Stingray

IMHO, HS is the most versatile pickup combination offered. You can get so many different sounds out of it, combined with the EQ. I hope that they eventually start offering the HS on the SR4 and SR5 again. I find it to be more useful than HH. THe "neck" H is just too mushy for my tastes. The S tames that.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple fretboard / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood Fretboard/ 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Signature Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

I just checked the website and it shows that both the SR4 and SR5 are available in HS (as well as H and HH).

Bongo 5H, BFR Roasted, Black Sugar
    Bongo 5Hp Fretless, Mahogany, Roasted, Honey Burst

Quote Originally Posted by PeteDuBaldo View Post
    Correct and correct.

That looks awesome. In the Long & McQuade video A.J. referred to this as Envy Green. Is that the same Envy Green as the one from several years ago?

Bongo 5H, BFR Roasted, Black Sugar
    Bongo 5Hp Fretless, Mahogany, Roasted, Honey Burst

Quote Originally Posted by stu42 View Post
    I just checked the website and it shows that both the SR4 and SR5 are available in HS (as well as H and HH).
    2018 Stingrays are only available in H / HH. There are 64 combinations of the Stingray available this year. We didn't add fretless (l think 10 to 20 total last year) or HS (less than 50). Matching headstocks take a lot of extra work and the up charge would price itself out of the market.
    "Scott Moreno"

Quote Originally Posted by PeteDuBaldo View Post
    The Classic Series retain the clear gloss finish while the revamped SR4/5 have oil/wax treatment on the roasted neck. You could probably lightly scuff the gloss neck with a 3M green pad to get a closer to raw wood finish without having to fully strip it down.
    Yeah, I've done that to other necks I've owned. Still not really the same IMO. I might just strip the palm side of the neck and oil it. I'm not concerned about the fretboard as much as the palm rest side of the neck. I also don't want to remove the logos from the headstock so I'll tape off the entire neck and reveal the back, strip it and sand it off, then oil it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dargin View Post
    2018 Stingrays are only available in H / HH. There are 64 combinations of the Stingray available this year. We didn't add fretless (l think 10 to 20 total last year) or HS (less than 50). Matching headstocks take a lot of extra work and the up charge would price itself out of the market.
    Thanks for that info. It's really interesting to see the reasons behind decisions like that. Really appreciated!
    (Though i'm pretty surprised there were that few fretless Stingrays ordered.)
    93 SR 5 H trans teal fretless
    90 SR 5 H trans red fretted* (orig. lined fl)
    07 SR 5 HH Dargie I
    07 SR 5 Hp black fretless, white pg
    08 SR 4 HH BFR Redwood top, mahogany neck
    09 SR 5 H Dargie II, ebony fb
    09 25th Anniversary 5 HSS
    10 Reflex 5 Lamborghini orange burst
    09 Reflex 5 rosewood neck & top
    04 Bongo 5 HHp Sapphire
    14 Bongo 5 HSp Cardinal red sparkle fretless
    17 Bongo 6 HS Starry Night fretless ebony w/roasted neck
    70s EB Earthwood acoustic bass
    72 EB Earthwood acoustic guitar

This lovely bass passed through my store last week. If I hadn't sold it as it was on the way to me, I would have bought it. I cried a little, on the inside, as I shipped it. Knowing I couldn't order another one just like it.

Owner, Rocket Music
    www.RocketMusic.net

So nice! I hope they bring back the fretless option on the new style Stingrays.

Quote Originally Posted by Dargin View Post
    Why no lefties this time? I won’t say I’m not disappointed a little bit, but I understand it’s probably about cost (?). However, the ‘Ray is so iconic that I wonder why the Sterling is available and the ‘Ray is not. I guess because of the new bodyshape and neck, whereas the Sterling remains the same, so no adjustments to your hard- and software are needed. I love everything about the new ‘Ray, including the finishes. Needless to say that I would have ordered one if it were available as a lefty. Now for the big question: will the ‘Ray be available as a lefty any time soon? Thanks.

I would guess it depends on how well the new stingray goes over. The guitar/bass industry is full of people who are purists that hate things like change. Not all are that way, but there are some who run screaming from any type of change. I don't see that it would be a problem, but you never know.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple fretboard / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood Fretboard/ 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Signature Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck