Ernie Ball Paradigm
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cool Custom Refinishes?

Cool Custom Refinishes?

Sorry if this has been posted before, I looked around and couldn't find anything. Wanted to see if anyone had done any cool refinishes? I'll start off with a SUB my friends and I painted, its called the SpaceRay. Painted a sun mandala/day scene on the back and a moon mandala/night scene on the front with a band of trees stretching around the side as a "frame". Changed the pickup and preamp (note the 3 band not 2 standard on a SUB?). Preamp and pickup are Seymour Duncan Stingray clones, sounds pretty good.

Cool Custom Refinishes?-img_e3096-jpgCool Custom Refinishes?-img_e3102-jpg
    EBMM Stingray 4 HH Stealth Pearl
    EBMM Bongo 5 HH Stealth Black
    SBMM SUB 4
    Oscar Schmidt Acoustic

Nice job!
    Liquid Titanium

Quote Originally Posted by five7 View Post
    Nice job!
    Thanks five. There's a bit of rub through thought which really disappointed me (note the white strip at the bottom of the front and back). I have done many re-finishes but none with uneven hand paint. The bumps in the paint made it way too easy to rub through during wet sanding/rubbing out. Only happened in 2 places but i was disappointed it wasn't totally perfect. Gives it character I guess?
    SBMM SUB 4
    Oscar Schmidt Acoustic

That's pretty cool! I've done a few guitars over the years - the one with the thinnest clearcoat has some rub through but it won't be a problem to touch up down the line.
    Have you got G.A.S. for another EBMM???
    Visit the all new
    https://www.DUBALDOMUSIC.com! <--- My Store --->DuBaldo Music on Facebook & on twitter
    Do you want to TRADE your used EBMM in for a NEW one? -- Email me for details!
    pete@dubaldomusic.com <--- My email
    www.YELLOW9.com <--- My band

Nice!!!! I'm always on the fence about refinishing a guitar/bass if it doesn't have a problem with the existing finish. The only one I have had done had some issues, and a botched repair, so eventually the "nuclear option" was the best way to make it look good again.

I do have two guitars that were ridden hard and put away wet, and I do think about eventually having them stripped and turned into something amazing. I know a guitar finish guy that specializes in things like metal flake and flames..
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple fretboard / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood Fretboard/ 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Signature Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

I refuse to believe I'm the only one on this forum that has something like this, come on guys I want to see some pics.
    SBMM SUB 4
    Oscar Schmidt Acoustic

One of these days I will! I love that EBMM is branching out a bit on colors, but the bass side just doesn't get as much love.

I've done some weird paint jobs on basses but they were cheapos or knock offs of other brands that I didn't care about and eventually sold. I can't bring myself to paint or change on the finish on my EBMMs. They are not holy relics or anything like that to me and I really like what you did on your Ray. I guess I'm just saying I'd mess with the paint on a '80s Ford Festiva but I wouldn't mess with the finish on a Ferrari. YMMV
    Buncha Rays and Bongos

Quote Originally Posted by OldManMusic View Post
    I really like what you did on your RayYMMV
    In all fairness I did that to my SUB. I know exactly what you mean, I'd never touch the finish on one of my nice ones. Especially being a 22 year old who has to save for a hot minute to pick up new EBMMs
    SBMM SUB 4
    Oscar Schmidt Acoustic

Cool. I don't have but would love to have one this year.

Cool Custom Refinishes?-b50057c6-237b-49a3-899a-15d8a707fb68-jpgCool Custom Refinishes?-26254602-694e-459b-8706-173543b9be58-jpg

I refinished my StingRay. (It was a little rough to start with and I know what Iím doing with paint so all good in that respect).
    I love the look of the really old 7enders, in the beginning everything was sunburst so if you custom ordered one in say, Blue, it was painted over a sunburst finish so recreated that effects.
    Iím not into fakes or forgeries (you all know what Iím talking about) so painted it to a very high standard and letting nature take its course regarding ever seeing the sunburst finish again. Itís my main #1 bass so give it another 20 or so years and see what it looks like then.
    (Although 4yrs later itís starting to age nicely in all the right places, well the right places my me and me only playing it. It might look totally different if owned by someone else)

StingRay 4H Buttercreme 2005 L.E. ("Leighton")
    StingRay 4H Vintage Sunburst under Light Blue. 2005 ("SunBlue")
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE AMPS.

Took some new pictures. Here's my Bongo that I had refinished in Daphne Blue when my. I also had my fretless neck refinished in a clear gloss. The neck for the whites Bongo was refinished in a tobacco leaf satin.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cool Custom Refinishes?-7d658a13-4a21-4bbf-a0df-6a41b55212b1-jpg  
    slightly out of date pic
    http://www.ernieball.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic1436_1.gif

l to r:

Franken-Bongo 5 HHp (The Billy Bass), refinished fretted cigar leaf satin finish neck, daphne blue, mint pickguard, EB Cobalts.

Dargie Delight Bongo 5 SHp, fretted, Dargie, b/w/b pickgaurd, Dargie. Ernie Ball straplocks. Flats.

Franken-Bongo 5 SHp (Moby, the White Whale), refinished vintage gloss unlined fretless neck, white, tort pickguard, EB Cobalts.

Quote Originally Posted by bassmonkeee View Post
    Here's my Bongo that I had refinished in Daphne Blue
    Love that colour. Mines slightly lighter, Little bit more white in the mix. Suits it well and your Bongo looks great! One offs !!

StingRay 4H Buttercreme 2005 L.E. ("Leighton")
    StingRay 4H Vintage Sunburst under Light Blue. 2005 ("SunBlue")
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE AMPS.

Quote Originally Posted by bassmonkeee View Post
    Took some new pictures. Here's my Bongo that I had refinished in Daphne Blue when my. I also had my fretless neck refinished in a clear gloss. The neck for the whites Bongo was refinished in a tobacco leaf satin.
    Great color, really pops. My bongo is stealth black so were opposites haha. Looks really good though!
    SBMM SUB 4
    Oscar Schmidt Acoustic

Quote Originally Posted by danny-79 View Post
    Cool Custom Refinishes?-b50057c6-237b-49a3-899a-15d8a707fb68-jpgCool Custom Refinishes?-26254602-694e-459b-8706-173543b9be58-jpg

I refinished my StingRay. (It was a little rough to start with and I know what I’m doing with paint so all good in that respect).
    I love the look of the really old 7enders, in the beginning everything was sunburst so if you custom ordered one in say, Blue, it was painted over a sunburst finish so recreated that effects.
    I’m not into fakes or forgeries (you all know what I’m talking about) so painted it to a very high standard and letting nature take its course regarding ever seeing the sunburst finish again. It’s my main #1 bass so give it another 20 or so years and see what it looks like then.
    (Although 4yrs later it’s starting to age nicely in all the right places, well the right places my me and me only playing it. It might look totally different if owned by someone else)
    DIG it. Wish I had the balls to paint my Ray
    SBMM SUB 4
    Oscar Schmidt Acoustic