Ernie Ball Cables

Thread: Question about Sterling HS

Question about Sterling HS

I recently purchased a ca. 2000 4 string EBMM Sterling HS. I have read about low volume in positions 2 and 5, and although that is somewhat true, I find a significant drop in treble response in those positions. Like a wet blanket. Not like anything I hear in various on-line demo videos. Is this normal?
    Also, I found that I get different tones in "half positions" on the selector, particularly between 1 and 2 and between 4 and 5. An increase in bass response. Have not seen any discussion of this. Has any one else noticed this? Thanks!

I don’t remember a drop in volume on mine but I used those half positions quite frequently.
    2001 SR5 Black/Black/Maple
    2004 SR4 Honeyburst/ Black/Maple
    2006 SR4HH Natural/Black/Rosewood
    2005 Bongo4 HS Stealth w/ White Body

WELCOME FOOLISH MORTALS.......
    CLICK HERE FOR MUSIC
    MORE MUSIC

You may want to check the switch to make sure that the contact are clean and that there isn't a lot of dust in there. It sounds like there could be some issues with how well it is connecting.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple fretboard / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood Fretboard/ 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Signature Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

sterling 5 HS here, no half positions and no wet blanket loss of treble.
    better get a hold of customer service.

I tried disconnecting (unsoldering) the lead from the passive coil (blue wire). It made no difference in sound. A test with a meter shows no continuity through the coil. I guess that's what's wrong. Have to see about a replacement.

I would definitely contact CS regarding this. Some of the designs used a separate pickup, others used a stacked Single coil.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple fretboard / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood Fretboard/ 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Signature Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

Thanks. I gave them a call and described everything. The single coil has the phantom coil mounted below it. It's on it's way to San Luis Obispo for a replacement. MM won't sell you a p/u without you sending the old one back, as they are proprietary. Price is quite reasonable.