Ernie Ball CRNR Keith Richards

Thread: Steve Araujo Playing 1975 Stingray Prototype

User Info Menu

Steve Araujo Playing 1975 Stingray Prototype

User Info Menu

Just came across this video yesterday, and thankfully did a search before reposting the link

That pickup looks very similar to the new passive pickup used in the Cutlass & Caprice (screenshot from the video):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Steve Araujo Playing 1975 Stingray Prototype-screen-shot-2018-08-21-12-26-57-pm-jpg  

User Info Menu

Boy, he sure handled that bass "nicely".

User Info Menu

This Bass totally looks like it could be built in 2018... incredible.

90s Stingray Teal with birdseye maple neck.

User Info Menu

Anyone else notice that this "Stingray No.1" from the MM vault features a three-band EQ, rather than a two-band?

Image captured from the recent video, The Stingray Story - How & Why Music Man Updated Their Classic Bass - YouTube

I wonder about the story behind that... perhaps a retrofit sometime along the way??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Steve Araujo Playing 1975 Stingray Prototype-screen-shot-2018-08-24-9-20-12-am-jpg  

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Monahan View Post
    Anyone else notice that this "Stingray No.1" from the MM vault features a three-band EQ, rather than a two-band?

Image captured from the recent video, The Stingray Story - How & Why Music Man Updated Their Classic Bass - YouTube

I wonder about the story behind that... perhaps a retrofit sometime along the way??
    Yes, I noticed that too. I assume 'StingRay No. 1" is referring to the EBMM era, and indeed you can see from the neck it's not a pre-Ernie Ball.

As far as I know, the 3-band didn't start until about 1987. This being probably a 1984 or thereabouts, it's a good question... Maybe someone from the company can shed light on this?
    87 TR
    87 Sun
    87 SR5 Peach proto
    88 Peach
    88 Sabre Peach
    88 Sabre Sun
    89 Blub
    89 SR5 Peach
    89 Sun
    89 SR5 TR
    90 Blub
    90 TR
    90 SR5 TR
    92 Sun
    92 V Sun
    94 Sterl Sun
    98 Sher G MHS
    00 SR5 Mtl Flake G MHS
    02 Gun Silv MHS
    03 SR5 Wh
    07 TR
    09 25th 5 HSS
    09 Class Surf G
    09 Class Fiesta Red MHS
    10 Class SR5 Blk x2
    16 Big Al 5 SSS Vint Tob PDN MHS
    17 Old Sm Choc B x2
    17 30th SR5 RW
    17 30th SR5 M
    18 SR5S Vint Tob
    18 SR5S Aqua Sp

User Info Menu

String Ray No.1 is the fist after EB bought MM. It would have had a 2EQ. It was latter fitted with the 3EQ.