Ernie Ball Paradigm

Thread: ** DUMB QUESTION ALERT ** .... Stealth f/b, are they ebony?

** DUMB QUESTION ALERT ** .... Stealth f/b, are they ebony?

Hello all, are the boards on the Stealth models Ebony? i see the specs on the site say stealth ebony for "neck" but does that mean f/b material or finish?
    "Top pros 15 - Talkbass 0"

That's a valid question, and yes - fretless in Stealth has an ebony fingerboard.

Here is the last Stealth SR4 2eq SLO Special unlined fretless
    Have you got G.A.S. for another EBMM???
    Visit the all new
    https://www.DUBALDOMUSIC.com! <--- My Store --->DuBaldo Music on Facebook & on twitter
    Do you want to TRADE your used EBMM in for a NEW one? -- Email me for details!
    pete@dubaldomusic.com <--- My email
    www.YELLOW9.com <--- My band

gorgeous! awesome! thank you Pete!!! .....is that fretless still available btw?
    "Top pros 15 - Talkbass 0"

A.J. is offline Ernie Ball, Inc. Ernie Ball Customer Service
    The original Stealth models had rosewood. We switched to ebony in 2009.
    "Hello! This is A.J.! How can I help you?"

If you have any questions or concerns please email me: aj@ernieball.com

PMs and messages written on my wall are not addressed as quickly as emails.

If you want to know when your instrument was completed please post in one of the serial number threads.

Another question, the models on guitar center's website have a way lighter fingerboard than the ones ive seen elsewhere. They look more rosewood colored. Any reason for this? Heres the link:

Ernie Ball Music Man Bongo 5 HH Electric Bass Guitar Stealth Black | Guitar Center
    EBMM Stingray 4 HH Stealth Pearl
    EBMM Bongo 5 HH Stealth Black
    SBMM SUB 4
    Oscar Schmidt Acoustic

Ampeg B2RE
    GK NEO 4x10 and 1x15

Quote Originally Posted by Psychicpet View Post
    gorgeous! awesome! thank you Pete!!! .....is that fretless still available btw?
    No, that was a special order for someone. You can still get the Stealth package, fretted/lined fretless/unlined fretless on the Sterling bass in H or HH

Quote Originally Posted by MaxKlein40 View Post
    Another question, the models on guitar center's website have a way lighter fingerboard than the ones ive seen elsewhere. They look more rosewood colored. Any reason for this? Heres the link:
    My guess is a combination of a dry board and how the photography was done.
    Have you got G.A.S. for another EBMM???
    Visit the all new
    https://www.DUBALDOMUSIC.com! <--- My Store --->DuBaldo Music on Facebook & on twitter
    Do you want to TRADE your used EBMM in for a NEW one? -- Email me for details!
    pete@dubaldomusic.com <--- My email
    www.YELLOW9.com <--- My band

A.J. is offline Ernie Ball, Inc. Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Pete is right.

Also, it is getting more and more difficult to get that pure jet black ebony these days. Most folks don't realize it is just the center of the tree that yields this dark wood and we aren't the only industry vying for it. Lighter and streakier ebony is starting to become the norm based on supply.
    "Hello! This is A.J.! How can I help you?"

If you have any questions or concerns please email me: aj@ernieball.com

PMs and messages written on my wall are not addressed as quickly as emails.

If you want to know when your instrument was completed please post in one of the serial number threads.

Bob Taylor of Taylor guitars talked about this some years back. Most ebony is not jet black. As it's an threatened species we can't cut down ten trees to keep just one tree that gives a lot of black ebony. So were gonna start seeing more and more of the ebony that Mother Nature actually makes, which is often lighter colored and even streaked.
    An Irishman in Paris...
    2005 LE Buttercream Silhouette Special

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info
    Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

I do not work for EBMM. I'm just a moderator.

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    Pete is right.

Also, it is getting more and more difficult to get that pure jet black ebony these days. Most folks don't realize it is just the center of the tree that yields this dark wood and we aren't the only industry vying for it. Lighter and streakier ebony is starting to become the norm based on supply.
    If you look at pianos and stringed instruments from 100 years ago, the ebony had streaks. It was only more recently that people became obsessed with perfectly pure black ebony. It was chosen far more for the hardness and tight grain, as well as high sound velocity, than anything else. For years many companies have dyed their ebony to get the pure black color.

Unfortunately, what this resulted in was that ebony buyers started only looking for the pure black ebony, so the people cutting down the trees would hack into the heart wood, and if it wasn't pure black, they'd leave it to rot.

As noted by others, Taylor guitars has started managing one of the ebony farms in Africa, so they are trying to get the industry to accept that ebony will more often than not have some streaks in it.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple fretboard / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood Fretboard/ 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Signature Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck