Ernie Ball Paradigm

Thread: Vintage Stingray- Gigworthy?

Vintage Stingray- Gigworthy?

Do you gig your vintage stingray? If so do you feel you can still get the punchy lows, or does the classic carry the low end better at this point?

How vintage? Pre Ernie Ball? Depends on the condition, value, etc. Most people I know try to avoid gigging their most prized guitars, but generally have a No.1 player that they bring out.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple fretboard / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood Fretboard/ 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Signature Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

Quote Originally Posted by sledge5 View Post
    Do you gig your vintage stingray? If so do you feel you can still get the punchy lows, or does the classic carry the low end better at this point?
    I'm guessing you're talking about Pre-EB and the EB "Classic" series.

I have a 1978-79 Pre-EB and also "Classic" series Basses. The preamps in both are the same electrically (although differently shaped circuit boards). However the Classic series are far superior in quality. The Pre-EB is used at home only.
    Gav.
    www.musicmanbass.org
    MUSICMAN BASS VINTAGE I.D.

That’s what I was afraid of hearing. I don’t have access to demo any, and I live in the NYC metro area. I have been talking to the Stingray Man on reverb and he has what he says to be an excellent 1979 but he wants near $4,000 for it. What’s a good price for a 77-79 that’s in great shape?

77-79. I hate having a bass that I wouldn’t play. I like my 1970 corvette stingray. I drive her when ever I can.

I would say you need to look more at the Classic series. I think you also can find regular stingrays with the 2 band EQ. Vintage is great, but at $4000 it should be investment condition.

How many stingrays have you owned before?
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple fretboard / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood Fretboard/ 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Signature Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

I have owned a 2band stingray since 1999, and also currently have a blonde old smoothie Ball Family Reserve. And I have had 2 classic 5 string basses in the past. I sold them only because the necks were so glossy. But I have learned that I can knock the gloss down with some 800 grit and steal wool. So I also just ordered a classic stingray this week. Should have it Monday. But I have always wanted a vintage instrument.
    I got him down to $3,500 and it’s a well cared for still shinny Inca Silver.

Well I pulled the trigger at $3,500. Let’s see how this goes. I have 14 days to ship it back for a full refund if I’m not happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by sledge5 View Post
    Well I pulled the trigger at $3,500. Let’s see how this goes. I have 14 days to ship it back for a full refund if I’m not happy with it.
    For a $3,500 investment, do NOT take steel wool or sandpaper to the back of the neck!
    1977 Sunburst SR4H with customized 24 fret ebony fretboard, 1982 Natural SR4H X2, 1983 Sunburst SR4H, 2005 Buttercream Bongo 4HH RW Neck, 2005 LE Buttercream SR4HH, 2007 DD SR4HH, 2007 DD Bongo 4HH, 2009 25th Venetian Red SR4HH BFR RW neck, a couple of regular Sterlings, a few other Stingrays, and a few competitors basses

No way that would happen. I only do the scuffing to my newer stuff.

Wednesday can’t come soon enough.

I own a ‘78 Ray and I’m the original owner. I still gig with it a few times a year. I can’t compare it to the newer classic series, but it has a sharper, more aggressive tone than my standard EB ray. A very gig worthy tone for my style of playing. I’ll switch from my 78 ray 4 to my Bongo 5 at shows where I flip between 4 and 5 stringers without changing the tone settings on my rig. It’s in the same tonal family, to me anyway. Enjoy your new bass and post up some pics when it comes in.
    Buncha Rays and Bongos