Ernie Ball Paradigm
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SR4H bolt-on pathetic selection these days

Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
    Try the website......Its pretty clear the seven colors....or you could call us pathetic...we are trying to survive....seriously. The us guitar makers are all very challenged.....I cant offer 30 colors of everything...just cant do it...
    I'm not talking about how many colors are in your catalog. I'm talking about the available stock in brick/mortars and online stores. Check out their websites...its pretty clear you'll see not 7 colors. 7 colors in your virtual catalog is great!... so where are they? Not built yet? Special order? Last time I asked about a special ordering an EBMM bass I was told 3 or more months minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by drTStingray View Post
    I'm astonished what a wide selection of colours are available on the 2018 Stingray basses - in fact I've just ordered via Andertons a Cruz teal SR5HH and Aqua sparkle SR4HH - won't be seeing them till August but these are stunning colours in my opinion - these are special order but the distributor and dealer are working together to include these in their orders. I'm really happy that I could get these in the UK.

It's true that compared to some companies there aren't a lot of MM basses in stock - but there again shops you go in mostly have guitars rather than basses in stock these days anyway. I have always taken the view if you want one of the more unusual colours or offerings you have to place an order (eg Blue Dawn LE Stingray; coral red Classic etc etc).
    Congrats on finding your bass. I remember a few years ago all the stores had stingrays in all available colors. Several bursts, transparents, rw/maple varieties available for purchase...was great.

Don't really see where the problem is. There are plenty of colours available. If a dealer doesn't have your desired finish in stock, you can always order it.

Plus the finish options for the revamped StingRay line-up are fantastic! Everything from solid colours to sparkles to natural - what more do you want?
    87 TR RW 2bd
    Sun RW 2bd
    88 Peach RW 3bd
    Sabre Sun M 2bd
    89 Blub M 3bd
    SR5 Peach RW
    Sun M 2bd
    SR5 TR RW
    90 Blub RW 3bd
    TR M 2bd
    SR5 TR RW
    92 Sun RW 2bd
    V Sun RW 2bd
    94 Sterl Sun M

98 Sher G MHS RW 3bd
    00 SR5 Mtl Flake G MHS RW
    02 Gun Silv MHS RW 2bd
    03 SR5 Wh RW
    07 TR M 3bd
    09 25th 5 HSS M
    Class Surf G M
    Class Fie R MHS M
    10 Class SR5 blk RW x2
    16 Big Al 5 SSS V Tob PDN
    17 Old Sm x2

30th SR5 RW
    30th SR5 M

With doing business in California, I can understand the companies struggles. What I don’t understand is why not then add the option to have any guitar or bass able to be ordered in any color that Music Man makes. For example, let’s say I wanted to order a Cutlass bass in the finish Trans Buttermilk that the Valentine Guitar comes in. Heck, even if it was an up charge option that way EBMM gets more money from a sale. The paint is a finish already kept in stock so I don’t see why it couldn’t be done. Or the ability to order a Bongo with an unfinished neck. I hate painted necks and that is the only reason why I never bought additional Bongo’s.

Both guitar companies I have worked for and 1 that I still do, is much smaller than EBMM but we are able to do custom shop stuff or on standard models, simply offer finishes across the board on any guitar or bass we make. Both companies have done that from day 1 and both have been profitable from doing so. And since Music Man raised their prices for instruments across the board to now approaching custom shop pricing anyway, for those people unhappy with the price increases and now saying for the new pricing they would just pay a little more or equal to Music Mans new pricing and go custom shop, it would possibly keep those customers and maybe even in turn, cause them to order something new. I guarantee if the option was available, and I could order a Bongo with a natural or roasted unfinished neck and in mystic dream, I would do so when my next bonus check comes in sometime in July or August.

I’m not trying to sound critical but simply offer options to hopefully help EBMM grow. And I’ve never understood if both of the guitar companies I have worked for and 1 that I still work for can do that and be profitable, why can’t EBMM, who is much larger?

I believe the claims BP has made about EBMM struggling in California but I can’t see how drastic price increases across the board will bring in more sales. If anything, you would think it would bring in less. Like the Cutlass bass for example. In 2017 and prior, it sold for $1,599.99 or $1,649.99. Now it sells for either $2,199.99 or 2,299.99 depending on the finish. The used market for the same bass is max, $1,200.00 or less. There were no changes made to this bass yet it saw a price increase of $600.00. Why would anyone buy a new one when used, they can get one for $1,000.00 less and in some cases, save even more than that. Or why wouldn’t they just buy some other Made in America P bass brand and pay at the most, no more than $1,800.00, still saving them at least $400.00 and then get better selection of finishes.

I’m not saying all of these things to beat up EBMM or be an ass but instead, I would love to see EBMM succeed and because with the new price increases I feel, making that success more difficult, I wanted to inquire about my suggestion and see why it couldn’t be done.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/JRalston/7d65a184-4304-464d-9f3a-c83a9712dbe8_zps69d1fb3d.jpg
    Stingray Classic 4H D.O.B. 07/09/10 Breast Cancer Awareness Bass Shell Pink
    Bongo 4H D.O.B. 12/28/10 Black Sugar BFR Roasted Neck
    Bongo 4H D.O.B. 03/26/14 Candy Apple Red All Rosewood Neck
    Stingray 5H D.O.B. 06/25/13 Black
    30th Anniversary Stingray 5H D.O.B. 02/28/17 Transparent Buttercream
    Bongo 5HH D.O.B. 03/16/17 Barolo Metallic Purple w/ Roasted Maple Neck

Quote Originally Posted by JOEinCA View Post
    I'm not talking about how many colors are in your catalog. I'm talking about the available stock in brick/mortars and online stores. Check out their websites...its pretty clear you'll see not 7 colors. 7 colors in your virtual catalog is great!... so where are they? Not built yet? Special order? Last time I asked about a special ordering an EBMM bass I was told 3 or more months minimum.
    So, your problem is with what the stores are ordering for stock and not with EBMM in any way. They don't stock what Musicman makes. Musicman makes what they order.
    slightly out of date pic
    http://www.ernieball.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic1436_1.gif

l to r:

Franken-Bongo 5 HHp (The Billy Bass), refinished fretted cigar leaf satin finish neck, daphne blue, mint pickguard, EB Cobalts.

Dargie Delight Bongo 5 SHp, fretted, Dargie, b/w/b pickgaurd, Dargie. Ernie Ball straplocks. Flats.

Franken-Bongo 5 SHp (Moby, the White Whale), refinished vintage gloss unlined fretless neck, white, tort pickguard, EB Cobalts.

Blog Entries
    ....Im not going to go show you all the standard colors that are in the pipeline and in stores....it wont matter to you...we have made tons of black, natural you name it. You have made your point so please move on
    Two requests, please
    Please contact customer service prior to posting instrument issues
    Please don't PM me
    Thanks

Please dont add me as a friend on facebook....my life is an open book here as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
    ....Im not going to go show you all the standard colors that are in the pipeline and in stores....it wont matter to you...we have made tons of black, natural you name it. You have made your point so please move on
    Great answers! I will take your advice and move on.

7 colors
    maple and rosewood: 2x7= 14
    SLO Neck or Std: 2x14= 28
    2-Band or 3-Band: 28x2= 56
    Matching Headstock or Std: 56x2= 112
    Neck through or Std: 112x2= 224
    H; HS; HH: 224*3= 672

I know my calc is incorrect but no shop will stock 672 different instruments, if everyone wants a natural maple Classic (including me) anyway.
    1979 StingRay natural maple

Congrats on finding your bass. I remember a few years ago all the stores had stingrays in all available colors. Several bursts, transparents, rw/maple varieties available for purchase...was great.
    How is that EBMM's fault? The stores are feeling the pinch too, so they stock what will sell. Guess what, BLACK is still one of the most popular colors across the board. Not all the stores can keep a bunch of basses on hand, which is especially true of ones like Guitar Center, who for years overstocked everything, but now has completely changed around the business model.

If you want something, call up one of the premier dealers and see what they can order.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple fretboard / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood Fretboard/ 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Signature Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

So you want something you can't find in a brick and mortar or online store. The problem isn't that other colors aren't available, it's that you don't want to wait three months (or longer) for a special order.

1998 Sterling 4H honeyburst lined fretless
    2006 30th Anniversary Stingray
    2014 Bongo 4HSp neptune blue w/roasted maple neck
    2014 Big Al 4SSS inca silver w/full rosewood neck

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    7 colors
    maple and rosewood: 2x7= 14
    SLO Neck or Std: 2x14= 28
    2-Band or 3-Band: 28x2= 56
    Matching Headstock or Std: 56x2= 112
    Neck through or Std: 112x2= 224
    H; HS; HH: 224*3= 672

I know my calc is incorrect but no shop will stock 672 different instruments, if everyone wants a natural maple Classic (including me) anyway.
    You seriously think this is a complaint about not having 672 options in stock somewhere?

You seriously think this is a complaint about not having 672 options in stock somewhere?
    Just wanted to make sure it is impossible for a shop to stock so many variations.

I can only speak for Germany, we have Thomann or Session, Musik-Produktiv which store a lot.
    You can also ask at German-Distributor called "Musik-Meyer" if a specific color is available at a store in Germany immediately.

Here is a small selection available in 3 Stores in Germany - don't know about the choices/variety in Fresno, CA.
    SR4H bolt-on pathetic selection these days-rays-jpg

Do you looking for a specific Ray or was it more a statement about your view of current situation?

btw: I bought my first Ernie Ball Ray in 1989, no internet, the shop had exactly one(!) bought it, later I discovered there were 2/3 Band rosewood/maple option and colors like blueburst, butterscotch, peach.
    1979 StingRay natural maple

I have tried my best to just steer clear of this but now it’s Friday and I feel the need to repeat myself. Sorry if you’ve heard any of this before.

Selection. As we all know, Music Man doesn’t build or hold stock. If a dealer orders something, they build it. There are not big racks of basses/guitars loitering around SLO, waiting for someone to call. If your local area, like mine, is under financial duress (musical instruments, I mean), you can expect they will have the finishes that are proven sellers. Black/maple, anyone? For years, I’ve had a wider selection of Music Man basses than any Guitar Center in north Texas. Let’s not even talk about finding Bongos around here. If I only had one, I’d have more than my closest dealer. This is just the reality. I don’t complain about it (well, until now) because I understand why it’s like this.

Sterling used to say to us, “If I looked to you guys to determine what works in the market, I’d be asking you if you wanted fries with that.” We forum guys are a niche market. I am the worst, too. I like the odd and frightening colors – a lot. Some of my basses are one-offs, and they are that for very good reason. As I said, black/maple, anyone? And let’s keep in mind that we have some new EXCITING colors to choose from this year, which is great if you ask me or even if you don’t. Will your local shop stock them? Maybe you should go and bug them because otherwise you know what you’ll get: black/maple.

I’ll tell you what I did a long time ago: I formed personal relationships with some of the dealers who frequent the forum. This is another thing I would encourage you to do if you want the odd colors, the PDNs, the things that will never hang in Guitar Center. I highly recommend having a dealer who understands how weird you are.

Price increases? I know nothing about the internal workings of this, but I do know we haven’t seen a real price increase in a while. It was overdue, I believe. Nothing good really gets cheaper. Bitching about it is bad sport. Yes, Stingrays cost more, and Cutlasses and Caprices, and maybe they cost more than a garden variety P bass. But we all understand that they’re better than garden variety P basses, too. Not that there’s anything wrong with P basses, but come one. Have you compared a Cutlass to an off-the-rack Precision? I have. If we agree that the Cutlass is a superior instrument, can we not agree that this is worth more? Of course. Price increases hurt, I know that, but the market is what it is and your Cutlass wasn’t built in Asia. Or Mexico. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

I’ll be the first to tell you that if you want a P bass, go get one. I have one. Sterling has one. (His is nicer than mine – or at least worth way more.) We joke around here a lot about Fenders but come on, there are certain basses that are just industry standards. Iconic. The Precision is one. If that’s what you want, no one’s going to make fun of you or ostracize you or call you names. (Mostly.) But again: Music Man basses are a step up. That’s why we’re all here on the forum, isn’t it? You’re going to pay a little more now. Accept it, learn to live with it, or buy a MIM Precision and soldier on. I’ll still like you. Inasmuch as I like you now.

Okay, I’ll like you a little less, but if you’re living for my approval, you’ve already made serious mistakes. Hah.

I hope we can wrap this up because it’s beginning to seem overly negative. I get enough of that in the real world, don’t you? Have the questions been asked and answered? Can I shut this thread down now? Because this is supposed to be fun, too.

Quote Originally Posted by bovinehost View Post
    I have tried my best to just steer clear of this but now it’s Friday and I feel the need to repeat myself. Sorry if you’ve heard any of this before.

Selection. As we all know, Music Man doesn’t build or hold stock. If a dealer orders something, they build it. There are not big racks of basses/guitars loitering around SLO, waiting for someone to call. If your local area, like mine, is under financial duress (musical instruments, I mean), you can expect they will have the finishes that are proven sellers. Black/maple, anyone? For years, I’ve had a wider selection of Music Man basses than any Guitar Center in north Texas. Let’s not even talk about finding Bongos around here. If I only had one, I’d have more than my closest dealer. This is just the reality. I don’t complain about it (well, until now) because I understand why it’s like this.

Sterling used to say to us, “If I looked to you guys to determine what works in the market, I’d be asking you if you wanted fries with that.” We forum guys are a niche market. I am the worst, too. I like the odd and frightening colors – a lot. Some of my basses are one-offs, and they are that for very good reason. As I said, black/maple, anyone? And let’s keep in mind that we have some new EXCITING colors to choose from this year, which is great if you ask me or even if you don’t. Will your local shop stock them? Maybe you should go and bug them because otherwise you know what you’ll get: black/maple.

I’ll tell you what I did a long time ago: I formed personal relationships with some of the dealers who frequent the forum. This is another thing I would encourage you to do if you want the odd colors, the PDNs, the things that will never hang in Guitar Center. I highly recommend having a dealer who understands how weird you are.

Price increases? I know nothing about the internal workings of this, but I do know we haven’t seen a real price increase in a while. It was overdue, I believe. Nothing good really gets cheaper. Bitching about it is bad sport. Yes, Stingrays cost more, and Cutlasses and Caprices, and maybe they cost more than a garden variety P bass. But we all understand that they’re better than garden variety P basses, too. Not that there’s anything wrong with P basses, but come one. Have you compared a Cutlass to an off-the-rack Precision? I have. If we agree that the Cutlass is a superior instrument, can we not agree that this is worth more? Of course. Price increases hurt, I know that, but the market is what it is and your Cutlass wasn’t built in Asia. Or Mexico. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

I’ll be the first to tell you that if you want a P bass, go get one. I have one. Sterling has one. (His is nicer than mine – or at least worth way more.) We joke around here a lot about Fenders but come on, there are certain basses that are just industry standards. Iconic. The Precision is one. If that’s what you want, no one’s going to make fun of you or ostracize you or call you names. (Mostly.) But again: Music Man basses are a step up. That’s why we’re all here on the forum, isn’t it? You’re going to pay a little more now. Accept it, learn to live with it, or buy a MIM Precision and soldier on. I’ll still like you. Inasmuch as I like you now.

Okay, I’ll like you a little less, but if you’re living for my approval, you’ve already made serious mistakes. Hah.

I hope we can wrap this up because it’s beginning to seem overly negative. I get enough of that in the real world, don’t you? Have the questions been asked and answered? Can I shut this thread down now? Because this is supposed to be fun, too.
    I wouldn't know first hand about the cutlass, local stores here don't stock american EBMM basses anymore (they did just a few years ago). Plenty of USA Ps and Js though. Fender figured it out. Im not looking for a P bass or one of the hundreds of clones. Did EBMM build a better mouse trap for $2300?..It wouldn't shock me...Lakland among others did that years ago. That's all beside the point though. If I can't find the most basic stingray in stores (local or online) it's clear to me I just need to special order one and wait.

If I can't find the most basic stingray in stores (local or online) it's clear to me I just need to special order one and wait.
    The wait will be tough. But you will be very pleased once it is over and you have your bass.