Ernie Ball Cables

Thread: string spacing question

string spacing question

Hi all. I have searched the threads for an answer to my question and didn't find what I was looking for so I thought I'd ask a quick question.

I have a SR5 and love the string spacing. What MM 4 string has a similar spacing? Does the Sterling 4 have a similar feel? I figured the Stingray 4 would have a more traditional string spacing.

I have played all these basses over the years but only have the SR5 at the moment so I can't compare.

Thanks!

AFAIK spacing on all 4 string Musicman basses is 19mm and for 5 string basses it's all 17.5mm (MM's website FAQ confirms this). BUT, if you want the closest feeling neck to your Singray5's then that'd be the Sterling. The 4 string Stingray's neck is thicker front to back.

Quote Originally Posted by bigoldnoob View Post
    AFAIK spacing on all 4 string Musicman basses is 19mm and for 5 string basses it's all 17.5mm (MM's website FAQ confirms this). BUT, if you want the closest feeling neck to your Singray5's then that'd be the Sterling. The 4 string Stingray's neck is thicker front to back.
    Thanks for the reply. I'm sorry I didn't check the FAQ first. Wish there was a 4 with the 17.5 mm spacing. I do remember the Sterling being quite comfortable. I'll have to give it another try.

19mm for 4 strings is pretty standard across the industry. There are even a lot of 5 strings that have that same string spacing at the bridge. There are some "narrow 4" basses out there, but they are not really common.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple fretboard / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood Fretboard/ 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Signature Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck