Ernie Ball CRNR Jimmy Page
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does anyone use a pre amp pedal

User Info Menu

I have the Darkglass BK7 (and the3, favourite drive pedal I’ve ever owned) but very rarely use it and when I do i use it it’s to shape a passive sound. Not got a passive bass at the moment so it’s redundant atm.
    D.i from the amp head 99.9% of the time

StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

User Info Menu

The Mad Professor Twimble has two channels, ones a preamp section that’s great and can be toggled on and off. I leave mines on through my gig every night. The other channel or section can be set to emulate PAFs, Jazzy tones or even differ type of dumble sounding overdrives. One of the best and versatile pedals I’ve ever owned. That and the Dunlop Echoplex is also a mainstay on my pedal boards. Aloha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    EBMM artist.
    Albert Lee HH (in production)
    AXIS SPORT
    SBMM AX30
    SBMM JP100
    SBMM SILO30
    SUB RAY4
    SUB RAY5
    EB-WAH
    EB-JRVP

User Info Menu

I use a TC Electronic SpectraDrive, it gives me a good compressor, eq, a little bit of dirt if I want, and a good DI. If I don't use the spectradrive I use a TC RH750's DI out post-eq/compressor, and I've tweaked the settings to sound good up front.

But both situations are really icing on an already good cake. With my MusicMan's I could play a gig with a bass and a passive DI box if I want--I just have to adjust the eq on the bass differently than I would with a preamp pedal. Usually a little more lows than normal, a mid cut, and highs to taste. I do like having the multiband compressor in-line too, which is why I prefer to play with it, but I'm certainly not lost without it.

User Info Menu

I used to use the Dunlop Echoplex Preamp with it always on and still do once in awhile but the mainstay on all my boards would be a Mad Professor Twimble (Dumble Pedal) there’s two pedals in one. The left is to do a pedaltone (OD, Clean Jazz, PAFs etc) and the right is a preamp pedal that can be set to high or low. I keep mines in low and always on. If I’m using single coil pickups then I’ll switch it to high. Another great pedal is the DefCon4 by Walrus Audio. This pedal I’ll use with the twimble with just the preamp side running on low and this DefCon4 immediately after. It fixes frequencies and almost like an EQ pedal you can trim off Low/Mid/Hi but also turn whatever section completely off. Also it has a DB boost that’ll allow you to bring up the single soil pickups to become more audible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    EBMM artist.
    Albert Lee HH (in production)
    AXIS SPORT
    SBMM AX30
    SBMM JP100
    SBMM SILO30
    SUB RAY4
    SUB RAY5
    EB-WAH
    EB-JRVP

User Info Menu

I own a Sansamp BDDI and have used it in the past when a house backline or PA sounded blah. These days I have an Aguilar Tone Hammer pedal and would use it instead of the Sansamp pedal.

On gigs where the sound man wants to run a line from my rig to the PA I just plug into the line out on my head and it sounds great. I own and use Genz Benz Shuttle, Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 and Aguilar AG 700 heads. They all sound great although these days the Tone Hammer gets used with upright bass only as I prefer the others with electric bass.

The only gig where I regularly run a line to the house is my church gig where my amp is a Roland Cube Bass 100. I go directly from the amp's DI to the house PA and it sounds wonderful.

I would never use a preamp to color the tone of my basses since they sound so good. I only use a preamp to help correct problems with house/backline systems.

User Info Menu

I use the Aguilar Tone Hammer Di - to FOH and in ear monitor stuff -

Michael Kelly
    StingRay 5 HH
    BONGO 6 H
    BONGO 4 H

Bassist for:
    The Femmes of Rock
    Google Dat.

User Info Menu