Ernie Ball Paradigm

Thread: Possible Neck issue with my Stingray 4HH SLO

Possible Neck issue with my Stingray 4HH SLO

Hello,

I recently picked up a 2009 Stingray 4HH SLO via a private sale. I've always wanted one of these. The tonal variety, the neck profile....it's perfect. Except for the fact that the E string buzzes up and down on every fret. I've tried, to no avail, to get it to stop. Flatten neck, add relief, raise the saddle, change the string....nothing. I'm also experiencing some fret buzz on the A string at the higher registers. I'm thinking I could possibly have a ski jump issue. Kinda hard for me to tell with my eyes. So I've attached some pics of the neck from different angles. Can you guys see something that maybe I don't see? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I really love the feel of this bass and want to get it playable. Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Possible Neck issue with my Stingray 4HH SLO-neckheel-jpg   Possible Neck issue with my Stingray 4HH SLO-20180911_105209-jpg   Possible Neck issue with my Stingray 4HH SLO-20180911_104952-jpg   Possible Neck issue with my Stingray 4HH SLO-20180911_105025-jpg   Possible Neck issue with my Stingray 4HH SLO-20180911_105057-jpg  

Last edited by Philthy; 09-11-2018 at 08:31 AM.
    "IT'S ALL ABOUT THE ROCK!!!"

Did you check for high frets and worn frets? Have you checked the relief on the G and E strings?
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple fretboard / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood Fretboard/ 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Signature Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

Yes. No high frets. Relief on G and E (around 8th fret with first and fret where neck meets body pressed) is about .014.
    "IT'S ALL ABOUT THE ROCK!!!"

`

0.014 is too little relief, try double that.

Also, with the thinner neck, beware of
    pulling back on it with your arm as you
    fret your notes. It WILL flex if you tend
    to fret "Schwarzaneger" style :-)
    Last edited by Golem; 09-12-2018 at 06:24 PM.
    S.U.B. SL4 - SR4p FL [x2] - SR4HH FL [Moses neck]
    SL4p FL [x2] - SL4HS FL - SL4HS FL [Moses neck]
    SR5HS alnico - SR5p FL ceramic [x2] - Bongo4Hp FL

"Too many basses is never enuf"

Golem is NOT engaged in social networks.

I had that "flex" happen on a sterling neck. It was a maple fb one and seemed more susceptible to humidity changes. Only one out of 7 sterlings I have owned. Noticed it more sitting than standing.
    Last edited by five7; 09-12-2018 at 07:13 PM.

The action looks a bit high. Lower the saddles (press around fret 16) until the strings start to clanging at the upper fretts.
    Now lose the trussrod to get a bit of relief (as golem: 0.028 8th third fret and fret where neck meets body pressed).
    Possible Neck issue with my Stingray 4HH SLO-attachment-jpg
    1979 StingRay natural maple