Ernie Ball Cables

Thread: Odd wiring on 2007 StingRay

User Info Menu

Odd wiring on 2007 StingRay

Anyone come across as StingRay where the treble knob doesn't have a detent, and seems to act more as a master tone knob? I'm wondering if maybe there was a blip on the map where MM tried something new, or if this an after market thing. Any insight would be appreciated!

User Info Menu

How Many knobs total does it have? Any chance it's got a PIEZO? It's also possible that someone messed with the electronics. Not sure why anyone would want to.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple fretboard / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood Fretboard/ 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Signature Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

It's confirmed as being a StingRay 4 by Music Man, no mention of piezo. Four knobs total, as in typical 3 band set up. Definitely possible someone messed with the wiring as it's eleven years old but new to me.

User Info Menu

Are you confusing the Mid control with the Treble control??? The controls go in the order of Vol, Treble, Mid and Bass.

The detent problem can be caused by the control knob being attached incorrectly. Remove the knob and rotate the shaft. If you find a detent position the replace the knob with the shaft still in the detent position.

User Info Menu

ahh! I forgot about that. Also if the knob slips, which can happen over the years,you lose the detent.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Trussbroken View Post
    Are you confusing the Mid control with the Treble control??? The controls go in the order of Vol, Treble, Mid and Bass.
    No.

And I've had all the knobs off, and this potentiometer has no detent. It's a strange one.

User Info Menu

Well, it's time to pull the control plate and see what's going on behind it. There have been some people who for some reason decided to replace the original electronics with something else.

User Info Menu

I guess so! Figured I'd ask just in case. Thanks for the replies, folks.