Ernie Ball Prodigy Picks
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: future of Caprice and

User Info Menu

Just picked up this beauty brand new (NOS?) from guitar center for $1099!!!
    Talk about bargain of the century!

User Info Menu

I'd rather have a passive StingRay SS, anyway.

Current:
    2000 Stingray trans. gold w/match head, 3eq+piezo, unlined, Rotosound RS77LD
    Mesa Walkabout Scout 1x12 combo, Boss TU-2/AD-2/BC-1X/FZ-3/BB-1X/RV-6

Former:
    1995 Stingray sunburst, 3eq, unlined
    2002 Stingray trans. gold w/match head, 3eq, unlined

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GregP View Post
    Just picked up this beauty brand new (NOS?) from guitar center for $1099!!!
    Talk about bargain of the century!

Lol!!! Congrats! I got the exact same bass at the exact same price. You folks better get down there and grab em up....my Caprice was only a little bit more.

Brash

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GregP View Post
    With respect, your conclusion is a bit of a Non Sequitur. The Classic Sabre, Cutlass, and Caprice are all very different instruments. The Classic Sabre was also released at a different time(and geared towards a different audience) than the Cutlass/Caprice...so it's logically problematic to group them all together. As for the St. Vincent how do you arrive at the conclusion that it will fail prior to the model even being released? We know almost next to nothing about it. Again with respect, I think it's premature to jump to such substantive conclusions.
    You are right: It is just an assumption. I mentioned e.g. the Classic Sabre because it is a fairly "traditional" Music Man Bass. In shape, tonewise and it has been here before. Next to a Stingray it does not look very exotic, if you ask me. Why did people not buy it then? Because it was no Stingray? I have no idea.
    Let's look at the St. Vincent bass rumors: Shortscale (not sure if this is true, however) - how big is the interest in shortscale basses in the US? In Europe you do not see them a lot, actually not at all. Form factor: Musicman basses are not cheap. Overseas they are fairly expensive. People go for Stingrays if they spend their money on Musicman. Not for Classic Sabres. Why then for the St. Vincent with its form that leaves many people with questions. Not sure if I made myself clear and I appreciate if you disagree. I wish EBMM luck with every new model and I bought and played any bass model with 5 strings they have ever put to market. But to me it is obvious that if they want to be successful at the market (especially in Europe) new bass models must be close to what people expect from EBMM - and this is basswise the Stingray.
    2015 Bongo 5 HH, Sterling Silver, Rosewood Neck
    2015 Bongo 5 H, Neptune Blue, Birdseye Maple
    2017 StingRay 5, 30th Anniversary, Flammed Maple
    Xotic XJ 1T5, Natural, Maple
    Sandberg TT5p passive, Maple

User Info Menu

I certainly do appreciate your opinion. This is one of the things I love about these forums...civil discourse :-)
    If I understand you correctly you are stating: "Future EBMM models that stand the best chance of success (especially in Europe) are ones that look and sound like a traditional EBMM(Like a Stingray/Sterling)".

I often wonder, if this was in part why the Game Changer bass wasn't more successful. I think even today, it remains one of the most visionary and revolutionary electric bass designs when it comes to it's electronics package. But it's body design didn't really inspire me. It's a nice looking design but it doesn't have the same "emotional punch" for me like looking at my EBMM Sterling.

I personally would love for EBMM to put the Game Changer's electronics in a Stingray or Sterling...that would be killer! I mean they completely unlocked the electric bass...it seems such a shame for that revolutionary tech not to brought back out at some point =)

User Info Menu

I think we are exactly on the same page regarding the Gamechanger. What a pity. I really think bass players are complicated customers and it is very hard anticipate what they will accept. Most likely the most simple approach with a minimum of knobs to fiddle.
    So Caprice and Cutlass were the right approach and I really hope another vintage concept will follow. Still I am waiting for the Majesty Bass, if this will ever come. Kind of expected to have John Myung featuring this on the next DT release. But obviously not.
    2015 Bongo 5 HH, Sterling Silver, Rosewood Neck
    2015 Bongo 5 H, Neptune Blue, Birdseye Maple
    2017 StingRay 5, 30th Anniversary, Flammed Maple
    Xotic XJ 1T5, Natural, Maple
    Sandberg TT5p passive, Maple

User Info Menu

Just restrung my Cutlass with Group III Flats, adjusted neck relief, and lowered the action just a tad....whowza!
    I normally play with super low action on my fretless Sterling for maximum mwah...but here I wanted to translate more string energy into the body b/c this is my R&B/Motown bass. I'd call the action around Medium. Oh my goodness...I have never heard a bass resonate with such force before. This split coil is definitely different than the one on the Caprice. The sound is just so thick and potent...its beautiful.

The Caprice I had previously had some neck dive to it...none of that here. This feels just as beautifully balanced as my Sterling. So sad to see this beauty go from the lineup...but glad I got mine ;-)

User Info Menu

Iím relatively new to EBMM and Iíve had a Sterling Ray 4 for about two years and I just purchased my first EBMM Stingray. EBMM products are high quality and high price (at least for me) if I could I would have purchased a Saber or Caprice but the even higher price they command made that impossible. I canít figure out why they are more expensive on the used market at least. Seems like they have less features than Stingrays. Maybe someone can enlighten me. Remember Iím new... ��

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dphc13 View Post
    I’m relatively new to EBMM and I’ve had a Sterling Ray 4 for about two years and I just purchased my first EBMM Stingray. EBMM products are high quality and high price (at least for me) if I could I would have purchased a Saber or Caprice but the even higher price they command made that impossible. I can’t figure out why they are more expensive on the used market at least. Seems like they have less features than Stingrays. Maybe someone can enlighten me. Remember I’m new... ��
    What I would suggest is not getting caught up in the price to feature ratio analysis and just find the EBMM bass that you love and get that. I totally understand where the price to feature ratio shopping analysis comes from. This is the way we typically shop for most consumer goods. We pull up an issue of consumer reports and compare 2 products and see which one has more boxes checked :-P.

While this may work out well for TV's or Fridges with musical instruments it's definitely a different ball game. No matter which EBMM bass you get it's going to be super high quality and have a stellar performance to price ratio :-) Just find the one that speaks to you. For me, it's the Sterling and the Cutlass...both basses cover the entire sonic spectrum for me. =)
    Last edited by GregP; 12-05-2018 at 12:16 PM.

User Info Menu

Ryan Bruce just did a pretty stellar review on the EBMM Cutlass Bass. Enjoy :-)
    The Ultimate Sleeper Bass? Ernie Ball Cutlass! - YouTube

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by amper View Post
    I'd rather have a passive StingRay SS, anyway.

I’d love that with active/passive. It would slay!

User Info Menu

I wonder if we will hear anything about the St. Vincent at NAMM this year.
    *Fingers crossed*
    :-) :-) :-)