Ernie Ball Paradigm

Thread: future of Caprice and

User Info Menu

future of Caprice and

I saw this posted over on TB from an EBMM dealer, and wanted to ask about the future of the Cutlass and Caprice. I hope they aren't going the way of the Big Al........

"I just received word from Music Man that as of Nov 1st, they will no longer accept orders for Cutlass and Caprice basses. I'm assuming those are going away due to low sales volume. Which is unfortunate, I really dug the 2 or 3 that passed through here."

User Info Menu

I really hope not...and at the same time....phew, just picked up my Cutlass a few weeks ago, so I have both now.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

BP, Brian...??? Hope this is not true. Was really hoping to see a 5 string at NAMM. JOSH

CLASSIC STINGRAY White (MHS)
    CAPRICE Natural
    Former owner of...
    BONGO - 4HH (Rolls Burgandy), 4Hp ("Small EQ"/Medallion Gold), 4H (Ice Blue), 5HSp (White), 4H (Black Sugar), 4H (PDN Honey Burst), 4H (PDN Tobacco Burst)
    STINGRAY - 4H (30TH), 4H (Dargie Delight), 4H (VSB/BFR RW Neck), 5H (08 LE)
    STERLING - 4HH (Dargie Delight), 4H (Stealth), 4HS (Natural)
    25TH - 5HH (Venetian Red)
    BIG AL - 4SSS (Olive Gold)

Musicman Cutlass/Caprice Bass Club on Facebook.

User Info Menu

I've read somewhere that the Bongo and Sterling lines are getting their refreshes next year. Maybe the Caprice and Cutlass are getting the same treatment. To make room for the new production of upgrades/updated instruments in a reasonable amount of time in 2019 (I've read somewhere else of the next JP model scheduled out to April), they are cutting off orders for the "old spec" now.
    2018 Stingray Special 5H - Chopper Blue (F81852)
    Line 6 Helix LT and GK MB Amps

Previous Tools: 2001 SR 5H Las Vegas Gold, 2008 SR 4H Trans Teal, 2008 STL 5HS LE2008 Sequoia Gold, 2008 SR 5HH Olive Gold, 2009 Big Al SSS Cabernet Pearl, 2010 Bongo 6HS Cabernet Pearl, 2010 Bongo 6HS DDII Caramel Apple Delight, 2011 Reflex 5HH BFR Black Sugar, 2012 Bongo 6HS PDN "Honey Roast", 2013 Bongo 5HH Stealth Black, 2013 Classic Sabre PDN Sledge, 2015 NTSR 4HH Pacific Blue Burst

User Info Menu

Money talks. The Big Al was a great bass. The 25th Anniversary guitars and basses were great too, as were the Reflex line based on them.

However if they don't sell well, EBMM needs to concentrate on what does.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple fretboard / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood Fretboard/ 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Signature Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

According to highly place sources deep inside SLO, the two basses - Cutlass and Caprice - are being discontinued.

User Info Menu

No bueno

CAPRICE Natural
    Former owner of...
    BONGO - 4HH (Rolls Burgandy), 4Hp ("Small EQ"/Medallion Gold), 4H (Ice Blue), 5HSp (White), 4H (Black Sugar), 4H (PDN Honey Burst), 4H (PDN Tobacco Burst)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bovinehost View Post
    According to highly place sources deep inside SLO, the two basses - Cutlass and Caprice - are being discontinued.
    Disappointing, but if not selling, makes sense.

After the discontinuance, people will be complaining that they can't get them anymore. Seems the fact you can't get something makes it more desirable.

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear that. I haven't been in the market for anything bass-related the past few years - last instrument I bought was my amazing Neptune Blue Bongo, and that was 2014. I have been intrigued by those two, particularly the Caprice. But kudos to EBMM for continuing to make the tough decisions. I'm very glad I picked up a Big Al when I had the chance. The moral, as always: if you see something you like, buy it.

1998 Sterling 4H honeyburst lined fretless
    2006 30th Anniversary Stingray
    2014 Bongo 4HSp neptune blue w/roasted maple neck
    2014 Big Al 4SSS inca silver w/full rosewood neck

User Info Menu

We dont like to discontinue anything but there are things that will replace them...we are always trying new things
    Two requests, please
    Please contact customer service prior to posting instrument issues
    Please don't PM me
    Thanks

Please dont add me as a friend on facebook....my life is an open book here as it is.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
    We dont like to discontinue anything but there are things that will replace them...we are always trying new things
    I try to take the long view on these issues. In a purely selfish sense, I have one each of the passive basses and so I'm happy, but I wish we (as a community) were a bit more open to new stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
    Hints... We need hints. St. Vincent short scale on the way?

CAPRICE Natural
    Former owner of...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mmbassplayer View Post
    Hints... We need hints. St. Vincent short scale on the way?
    That would make Jamie so happy.
    2018 Stingray Special 5H - Chopper Blue (F81852)
    Line 6 Helix LT and GK MB Amps

Previous Tools: 2001 SR 5H Las Vegas Gold, 2008 SR 4H Trans Teal, 2008 STL 5HS LE2008 Sequoia Gold, 2008 SR 5HH Olive Gold, 2009 Big Al SSS Cabernet Pearl, 2010 Bongo 6HS Cabernet Pearl, 2010 Bongo 6HS DDII Caramel Apple Delight, 2011 Reflex 5HH BFR Black Sugar, 2012 Bongo 6HS PDN "Honey Roast", 2013 Bongo 5HH Stealth Black, 2013 Classic Sabre PDN Sledge, 2015 NTSR 4HH Pacific Blue Burst