Ernie Ball Paradigm

Thread: Trying to record with my Bongo 5 bass... any settings recommendations

User Info Menu

Trying to record with my Bongo 5 bass... any settings recommendations

I can NOT for the life of me get a decent sound from this Bongo bass, but I bought it specifically for recording, figuring it would be the most versatile.

there are all kinds of transient harmonic sounds when you are using fingers and I can not seem to find the sweet spot where it will fit in the mix and not have all that extra harmonics in it.

Any pointers or if anyone can point me to some information on getting a good sound for DIRECT recording would be helpful. I'm running through my PRS DI box to Saffire 24 to Cubase 9.5

Maybe there's even a plugin that I can insert that would help?

Thank You!!!
    Dave

User Info Menu

Depends on what style of music you're playing, personally I cut 250hz and 500hz and boost high end but I'm playing in metal bands. Distortion will also help cut through.
    TERAMAZE
    https://www.facebook.com/teramaze/
    METANOIA
    https://www.facebook.com/wearemetanoiaband/

Stealth Black Bongo 6 HH - 22/03/2011
    Stealth Pearl Bongo 6 HH - 14/04/2015
    Firemist Purple Bongo 6 HH - 06/07/2017

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I write music for Film and TV, so it varies. I do write for Rock, but this particular request was for a "Modern Country" cue.

Quote Originally Posted by TherealAC View Post
    Depends on what style of music you're playing, personally I cut 250hz and 500hz and boost high end but I'm playing in metal bands. Distortion will also help cut through.

User Info Menu

Hi @five7 it's the HH

Quote Originally Posted by five7 View Post
    what model H, HH, HS

User Info Menu

I have an HH also. I leave the lows flat, the low mids I slightly bump, cut high mids, and boost highs. The pickup blend is about 80/20 to 70/30 favoring the bridge pickup. For a plugin I like the fliptop. I play with my fingers.

User Info Menu

Can’t comment regarding a Bongo but all the direct recording I’ve ever done everything is set flat and worked from the desk. Effects the lot

StingRay 4H Buttercreme 2005 L.E. ("Leighton")
    StingRay 4H Light Blue over Vintage Sunburst. 2005 ("SunBlue")
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE AMPS.

User Info Menu

All flat into the desk, strung with flats, should do the trick.

Skickat från min SM-G950F via Tapatalk
    bovinehost: Yes, I do agree with that, but if there's nothing wrong then there's nothing wrong.
    Beth: I would compare Bongo to Tommy Lee Jones. Bad a$$ and just hot in a weird way...
    cheezewiz: They should take their lace thongs off and play bass.

HEINZ

User Info Menu

@five7... what is the fliptop plugin? I did a search for it and didn't immediately find a plugin with that name?

THANKS! These settings sound like they should work fairly well. I will give it a shot-

Quote Originally Posted by five7 View Post
    I have an HH also. I leave the lows flat, the low mids I slightly bump, cut high mids, and boost highs. The pickup blend is about 80/20 to 70/30 favoring the bridge pickup. For a plugin I like the fliptop. I play with my fingers.
    Dave Taylor
    ti Creative Media
    Music and Graphics for film and TV
    Boston, MA

User Info Menu

I will be in the studio with my Bongo 5HH tracking my groups next single this next weekend. Hopefully I can get a nasty pop-punk tone out of this thing!
    "They say there ain't no rest for the wicked, and oddly I haven't slept in forever"-Jeremiah the Goat