Jason Richardson Seven String Cutlass

Thread: Stingray tuning key question.

User Info Menu

Stingray tuning key question.

I want to replace 1 or 2 of my tuning keys. Everywhere I look, they specify between the G key and the E, A, and D keys. I have looked at them intently on my bass. Other than flip the key (turning part), I don't see the difference. What am I missing? Is there actually a difference?

User Info Menu

A very big difference. The G tuner is geared in reverse to the E, A & D because it's underneath the headstock. If turning the E, A & D tuners anti clockwise to tune up, turning the G tuner anti clockwise will tune down. It's all about tuning the gears in the same direction.

User Info Menu

Yeah.. the other problem of course is that it'll be backwards as well. I don't know if you can flip the tuner key easily.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

Stingray tuning key question.-42a46ab3-64a8-4e90-b9d9-3caaa393b522-jpg

Just changed one myself (could do with a second) easy enough. In short yes there is left a right. And from what I was told when I ordered some times the posts are different lengths ? Don’t know how much truth there is in that but just ordered it for the intended string and job done

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

User Info Menu

Yesterday, I spoke with a tech at Ernie Ball. He said that with the exception of flipping (reversing) the actual peg, there is no difference. He said that he has had occasions where he hasn't had a "G" key available, and he himself have flipped a E,A,D peg to make it work. Good to know.

User Info Menu

Remove the metalsheet and flip it.
    Stingray tuning key question.-l1600-jpg
    Those Schaller BML replacements appear to have longer shafts and looks a bit off:
    Stingray tuning key question.-shaft-jpg
    1979 StingRay natural maple