Ernie Ball Paradigm

Thread: StingRay SS

User Info Menu

StingRay SS

Any chance we might someday see a StingRay SS? I think it would be pretty cool to have a passive one. I'm not a fan of the Caprice or Cutlass body styles. I really prefer the StingRay body shape to all other 4-string designs.

Current:
    2000 Stingray trans. gold w/match head, 3eq+piezo, unlined, Rotosound RS77LD
    Mesa Walkabout Scout 1x12 combo, Boss TU-2/AD-2/BC-1X/FZ-3/BB-1X/RV-6

Former:
    1995 Stingray sunburst, 3eq, unlined
    2002 Stingray trans. gold w/match head, 3eq, unlined

User Info Menu

Like an HH or HS in Position 2.
    StingRay SS-bodyhh-jpg

User Info Menu

Sting Rays also sound fantastic with passive circuitry. Interesting idea.
    Last edited by Rod Trussbroken; 12-01-2018 at 05:01 AM.

User Info Menu

Definitely an interesting concept

StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

User Info Menu

I'd want a 4-position pickup selector on a rotary knob: bridge, both parallel, neck, both series. Fender is doing this on a few models of guitars, like the Johnny Marr Signature Jaguar and Classic Player Tele. Here's a new picture:

Current:

Former:

User Info Menu

While interesting... it pretty much is lacking the defining characteristic that makes a Stingray a Stingray. It would be like a P-bass with no split center pickup. That bridge Humbucker through an active preamp IS the Stingray sound.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
    While interesting... it pretty much is lacking the defining characteristic that makes a Stingray a Stingray. It would be like a P-bass with no split center pickup. That bridge Humbucker through an active preamp IS the Stingray sound.
    I'm not sure where you got the idea that it would be like a Precision bass, rather than like a Jazz Bass.

I mean, sure, if you want to stay stuck in 1976, go right ahead, Ernie Ball still makes the old StingRay. But maybe other people want something, new, too.
    Current:

Former:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by amper View Post
    I mean, sure, if you want to stay stuck in 1976, go right ahead, Ernie Ball still makes the old StingRay. But maybe other people want something, new, too.
    He's simply saying that it's not a "Stingray". And I agree. If EB would make something like this, calling it Stingray doesn't really make sense. I guess you could argue that it's Stingray because of the body shape. Oh well. For example: say you have a P bass body with 2 J single coil pups. That's definitely not a P bass to me, but others might disagree.

User Info Menu

Yeah... I'm pretty much saying that a stingray configured like that would not be a stingray. It's missing the thing that make a stingray a stingray: that bridge humbucker in the sweet spot. That's what created THE Stingray sound.

Don't get me wrong, I love a bridge single as much as the next guy. My Stingray 5 HS has that position on the selector. But if I couldn't get that bridge humbucker sound, I wouldn't own it. That's what I got it for.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

The OP means single single pickups with SS, the new Stingray SS is "short scale."