Ernie Ball CRNR Keith Richards

Thread: NBD Sabre classic, came with clear guard?

User Info Menu

NBD Sabre classic, came with clear guard?

Hey guys, got this killer Sabre in yesterday! I really enjoy it! Quick question it has a clear guard on it, the guy I bought it from said that was what was on it when he bought it, were clear guards ever stock on these? Regardless it doesnít really do it for me so Iíve got a mint replacement on the way.

Thanks

John
    NBD Sabre classic, came with clear guard?-b0af8fe2-af00-4ea2-96c2-ed3816fcc702-jpg

User Info Menu

iirc they only came Black, White or Shell.
    That grain looks superb with the clear.
    Reminds me of an old 85-89 Sabre - when they often came with clear guards.
    1979 StingRay natural maple

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info Bert! The clear is ok, the main thing I don’t care for is that it is super thick, it sits above the control plate. I’m surprised the screws were long enough to catch the threads in the holes.

User Info Menu

The original ones were thinner - but most all had cracks around the holes.
    With the straight grain in the ash - tort would be too much.
    I'm curious to see how the mint one looks like.

User Info Menu

Sounds like a custom guard but with grain like that it sure doesn’t look out of place

StingRay 4H Buttercreme 2005 L.E.
    StingRay 4H Light Blue over Vintage Sunburst. 2005 ĒSunBlue"

GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE AMPS.

User Info Menu

NBD Sabre classic, came with clear guard?-e4f8ecb1-9829-4de3-b1a6-eaf86a65ab9f-jpgThanks, itís a nicely made guard. Hereís a couple of pics. I tried to snap a pic to show the difference in thickness from the pickguard to the control plate.

User Info Menu

I’ve seen some examples of 1989 Sabres with two-ply pickguards. Does anyone know if these are original, and if so, what model years had them?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn35016 View Post
    NBD Sabre classic, came with clear guard?-e4f8ecb1-9829-4de3-b1a6-eaf86a65ab9f-jpgThanks, it’s a nicely made guard. Here’s a couple of pics. I tried to snap a pic to show the difference in thickness from the pickguard to the control plate.
    Thanks for sharing. I would be curious as to how thick it is... I have a 1988 Sunburst Sabre with (what I think is) an original clear guard, measured it only yesterday - it's 1.54 mm. Very thin - no wonder these crack so often around the screw holes! (Mine certainly has.)

Looking to order a replacement guard for another 1988 Sabre I recently bought which came with an aftermarket guard. Pickguard Planet do a clear plexiglas one which is 1/8", according to their website. That's about twice as thick as the one on my Sunburst. Is that roughly the thickness of yours?
    Last edited by liverbird; 01-13-2019 at 06:10 PM.
    87 TR
    87 Sun
    87 SR5 Peach proto
    88 Peach
    88 Sabre Peach
    88 Sabre Sun
    89 Blub
    89 SR5 Peach
    89 Sun
    89 SR5 TR
    90 Blub
    90 TR
    90 SR5 TR
    92 Sun
    92 V Sun
    94 Sterl Sun
    98 Sher G MHS
    00 SR5 Mtl Flake G MHS
    02 Gun Silv MHS
    03 SR5 Wh
    07 TR
    09 25th 5 HSS
    09 Class Surf G
    09 Class Fiesta Red MHS
    10 Class SR5 Blk x2
    16 Big Al 5 SSS Vint Tob PDN MHS
    17 Old Sm Choc B x2
    17 30th SR5 RW
    17 30th SR5 M
    18 SR5S Vint Tob
    18 SR5S Aqua Sp

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by liverbird View Post
    Thanks for sharing. I would be curious as to how thick it is... I have a 1988 Sunburst Sabre with an original clear guard, measured it only yesterday - it's 1.54 mm. Very thin - no wonder these crack so often around the screw holes! (Mine certainly has.)

Looking to order a replacement guard for another 1988 Sabre I recently bought which came with an aftermarket guard. Pickguard Planet do a clear plexiglas one which is 1/8", according to their website. That's about twice as thick as the one on my Sunburst. Is that roughly the thickness of yours?

Just took a measurement, it is exactly 1/8. Id venture to bet this one came from PGP. If it did It gives me peace of mind that the do a good job as the tolerances are really tight on it. I placed my order for the mint replacement on the 2nd, I'm hoping it arrives soon!

I meant to attach this other pic in my earlier pic and I forgot.

NBD Sabre classic, came with clear guard?-img_0812-jpg

User Info Menu

Just took a measurement, it is exactly 1/8. Id venture to bet this one came from PGP. If it did It gives me peace of mind that the do a good job as the tolerances are really tight on it. I placed my order for the mint replacement on the 2nd, I'm hoping it arrives soon!

I meant to attach this other pic in my earlier pic and I forgot.

NBD Sabre classic, came with clear guard?-img_0812-jpg
    Thanks for measuring. Good to know they fit well. I'll go for a clear and a matt white one, I think.

Does anyone know whether the pickup cover footprints are the same for a pre-Ernie Ball Sabre as for an EBMM one? (For my 1988, I'll need the guard without the notch for the truss wheel, and Pickguard Planet only specifically mention the 1970s Sabres for that type.)
    87 TR
    87 Sun
    87 SR5 Peach proto
    88 Peach
    88 Sabre Peach
    88 Sabre Sun
    89 Blub
    89 SR5 Peach
    89 Sun
    89 SR5 TR
    90 Blub
    90 TR
    90 SR5 TR
    92 Sun
    92 V Sun
    94 Sterl Sun
    98 Sher G MHS
    00 SR5 Mtl Flake G MHS
    02 Gun Silv MHS
    03 SR5 Wh
    07 TR
    09 25th 5 HSS
    09 Class Surf G
    09 Class Fiesta Red MHS
    10 Class SR5 Blk x2
    16 Big Al 5 SSS Vint Tob PDN MHS
    17 Old Sm Choc B x2
    17 30th SR5 RW
    17 30th SR5 M
    18 SR5S Vint Tob
    18 SR5S Aqua Sp

User Info Menu

New guard came today, pg planet knows there stuff! This is the 1st aftermarket guard Iíve ever had that has perfect alignment and countersinking of the screw holes! Wish I could take a better pic as it looks more white than off white in this pic, but itís been perpetually raining here, so had to go with indoor lighting. I like it, it adds a little contrast to the look.

NBD Sabre classic, came with clear guard?-590c70ac-0e78-4284-9397-192faf62131d-jpg

NBD Sabre classic, came with clear guard?-a5e1523a-1733-46dd-9245-a48bfbbd877d-jpg
    Last edited by Aragorn35016; 01-19-2019 at 06:26 AM.

User Info Menu

Finally got a link working I think, after a couple of days I’m kind of leaning back towards the clear guard, what do you guys think?

User Info Menu

Finally got a link working I think, after a couple of days Iím kind of leaning back towards the clear guard, what do you guys think?
    Clear.
    NBD Sabre classic, came with clear guard?-blacktort-jpg

User Info Menu

I'd go with Black.