Ernie Ball Prodigy Picks
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2019 short scale stingray bass

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PeteDuBaldo View Post
    It's a special run on display in the BFR room and main show floor.
    Any other basses in the BFR room that may show up this year?

User Info Menu

What is the other finish option besides the Burgundy?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Edmang View Post
    Might be like the Old Smoothie. First year it was the 40th Anniversary special edition. But I guess it did well enough that became part of the regular line up after the initial run.
    I hope so and I understand the hesitation by EB after the Cutlass and Caprice models that didn't really sell well as expected. But this is a Passive Stingray which is a whole different proposition, I have waited for this for a long time.

User Info Menu

What is the other finish option besides the Burgundy?
    Blue with a maple fretboard. I really like that Blue but the Burgundy with the Rosewood board is pretty damn sexy.

Ernie Balls Music Man StingRay Short Scale Bass at Winter NAMM 2019 - YouTube
    Last edited by Grugenhagen; 01-27-2019 at 02:38 PM.

2018 Bongo 5 HH Barolo
    2016 Caprice Heritage Tobacco
    2007 Sterling 4 HS Dargie Delight
    2013 Sterling 4 HH Sapphire Black
    2014 Sterling 5 HH Vintage Sunburst

2016 Cutlass SSS Ivory White
    2011 Silhouette HSH Candy Apple Red
    2011 Silhouette HSH Vintage Sunburst
    2016 Valentine Trans Buttermilk

User Info Menu

Hmm, I might be interested in a long scale version of this particular passive Stingray, even though I'm gassing for a new Special. Can't wait to hear it either way.

User Info Menu

I've played these basses twice now and I am knocked out by the huge sound. The playability is excellent with familiar MM spacing .The compactness encourages you to fly all over this thing.It may fit in a guitar gig bag but will definitely fit in an overhead bin while flying.Somehow they managed to keep the string tension just right despite the shorter scale.This is a winner! Its
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
    This is sort of my baby Im knocked out by it and so are the palyers who got a preview

User Info Menu

Thanks Dave!
    Two requests, please
    Please contact customer service prior to posting instrument issues
    Please don't PM me
    Thanks

Please dont add me as a friend on facebook....my life is an open book here as it is.

User Info Menu

This sounds great! Can't wait to play one. Logging in after a LONG "life happens" hiatus. Great to see so many familiar names. Looking forward to catching up on the latest offerings.

User Info Menu

RobertB, nice to see you back!

Didn't you originally own this?

Well, after a few years of residing in Spain it eventually found its way to me. Great bass!

(Apologies for the hijack.)

86 Sabre Nat
    87 TR
    87 Sun
    87 SR5 proto Peach
    88 Peach
    88 Sabre Peach
    88 Sabre Sun
    89 Blub
    89 SR5 Peach
    89 Sun
    89 SR5 TR
    90 Blub
    90 TR
    90 SR5 TR
    92 Sun
    92 V Sun
    94 Sterl Sun
    98 Sher G MHS
    00 SR5 Mtl Flake G MHS
    02 Gun Silv MHS
    03 SR5 Wh
    07 TR
    09 25th 5 HSS
    09 Class Surf G
    09 Class Fiesta Red MHS
    10 Class SR5 Blk x2
    16 Big Al 5 SSS Vint Tob PDN MHS
    17 Old Sm Choc B x2
    17 30th SR5 RW
    17 30th SR5 M
    18 SR5S Vint Tob
    18 SR5S Aqua Sp

User Info Menu

Thanks, liverbird. Wow, yes. What a beauty, and what a fun day it was the day I bought it. It was at a show/event in L.A. Got to meet BP and a guy from the forum who was a regular at the time, Rex - not sure if he's still around. Hard to believe how long ago that was, already. Crazy. Thanks for saying hi and for posting the pic. Made me happy to see it. That's the thing with these basses - they bring us a lot of joy, you know? I've got my eye on something very similar over at Sweetwater.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by liverbird View Post
    RobertB, nice to see you back!

Didn't you originally own this?

Well, after a few years of residing in Spain it eventually found its way to me. Great bass!

(Apologies for the hijack.)
    Can we move this post as it doesn't belong here. Forum rules apply!

User Info Menu

Looking at the description for this guy again, I hadn't noticed before that it will be passive. With the 3 switched pickup output options and the bass boost, this should be something really unique and cool, even before factoring in the 30 inch scale. I'm really looking forward to trying that out. I've always found that to have a great effect on playability. I've always assumed that that's not only because of the shorter fret width, but also because it seems to me that a shorter string needs a lower tension to resonate at the same frequency as a longer string of the same gauge, making it more "bendy". That may not be accurate, but would seem to make sense to me.

User Info Menu

This is a wonderful offering.

My sons are men now but my youngest was playing a regular scale Big Al when he was just a little 11 year old boy. The shorter scale would have been easier for his hands. That being said, he did just fine. But, this is a great addition to the ebmm lineup.

2018 Axis - BFR - Buckeye Burl
    2017 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord - Tahitian Blue
    2017 StingRay 5 - 30th Anniversary - Buttercream
    2015 Luke III - BFR - Blackburst
    2013 Albert Lee - BFR - Pinkburst
    2013 Luke III - PDN - emerald green sparkle with an all rosewood neck
    2012 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord
    2012 Axis - PDN - Honeyburst
    2011 Axis - BFR - Black Sugar Roasted
    2009 Axis - Pink Quilt (Oinky)
    2006 StingRay - 30th Anniversary fretless
    1996 StingRay - 20th Anniversary

User Info Menu

Is it true that these short scales were already available for pre-order and the limited run is already sold out? If so hope that means there was enough interest that they will become a regular offering.

User Info Menu

Is it true that these short scales were already available for pre-order and the limited run is already sold out? If so hope that means there was enough interest that they will become a regular offering.
    Yes, the initial run was very limited. The actual release is in October from what I have seen.