Music Man Modern Classics
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are rewards still just GAS?

User Info Menu

Are rewards still just GAS?

Ok guys, I'm nearing the end of my career as student. About 40 pages left on my dissertation and I'll be Dr. Wim May 8th. During breaks I've been looking at basses, and I keep thinking about rewarding my accomplishment buy getting a new one.

Gifting yourself is a good thing, right?

I'd actually wanted to make the new Dargie the gift, but it just isn't what I'm looking for.

I do love green basses, and I found a perfect one recently but it wasn't made by Ernie Ball. For the record it's color was Margarita Green, and I thought a Margarita Green would go great with the Martini Green.

I don't even know if the perfect bass for me exists with availability. I want a fretless Bongo 5h, that is green--a green I like or love.

In the meantime, I did find something that I'd call suitable.

I'm a bit scared of pulling the trigger on 6 strings, since I've never spent time with 6 strings, but hey its graduation right?

Anyway, because I find this all entertaining I thought I see what you all think?

Have you ever rewarded yourself with a bass?

If you did, did you make it the grail or something readily available?

User Info Menu

WAY back, long long long ago, when I was still in the military, I gave myself a SR5 when I made E6.

That Emerald Green Sparkle is an insanely great finish, Wim. I love mine.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bovinehost View Post
    WAY back, long long long ago, when I was still in the military, I gave myself a SR5 when I made E6.

That Emerald Green Sparkle is an insanely great finish, Wim. I love mine.
    I take that as a pretty strong vote in support.

Side question: do you still have that bass? (is it green?)

User Info Menu

`

Look Wim, if you're gonna hang with the
    family here, you gotta give in to the GAS.

Click the "Buy Now". You can always just
    rip out the frets later.

Last edited by Golem; 02-24-2019 at 09:28 PM.
    S.U.B. SL4 - SR4p FL [x2] - SR4HH FL [Moses neck]
    SL4p FL [x2] - SL4HS FL - SL4HS FL [Moses neck]
    SR5HS alnico - SR5p FL ceramic [x2] - Bongo4Hp FL

"Too many basses is never enuf"

Golem is NOT engaged in social networks.

User Info Menu

Do not buy a "this will be good enough" bass. Buy the exact bass you really want...have it built...or wait until it is in production but don't buy a bass that is not what you want. You will just spend more money getting what you really want later.

I play 4,5 and 6 string basses and earn most of my money playing upright. The years have taught me that some folks can adapt to extended range basses with little effort and others cannot deal with them. I suggest you find a store that has some 6 string basses and play a few before you decide to buy one.

If you look a while at ads on Talkbass, Ebay and Reverb you will find quite a few ads for 6 string basses where the seller says something like..."I tried to play 6 string but decided it is not for me". Don't be one of those guys.

If you decide to buy a 6 string I highly recommend the Bongo 6. I own several 6 string basses including G. Gould, Peavey Cirrus, Roscoe and my Bongo HH. The Bongo is perfectly at home with the more expensive boutique basses.

Oh...you did ask if I have ever bought a bass as a "reward". Of course I have............sometimes I reward myself because it is Thursday.

User Info Menu

Buy a Bongo 5 H fretless and have it refinished in green.

User Info Menu

For years I wanted a blue dawn Bongo. Didn't have the funds when they were available, then scoured the classifieds for years with no luck. When the Neptune Blue BFR came out in 2014, I was ready to pounce. 2014 also happened to be the year of my tenth wedding anniversary. My wife asked me what I wanted as an anniversary gift, so I showed her the picture and she gave me the green light. I ordered a Bongo 4HSp, which is now my anniversary bass.

For a doctorate, you MUST buy yourself a bass. And Chuck is right, get what you really want.

1998 Sterling 4H honeyburst lined fretless
    2006 30th Anniversary Stingray
    2014 Bongo 4HSp neptune blue w/roasted maple neck
    2014 Big Al 4SSS inca silver w/full rosewood neck

User Info Menu

I've played that bass at the Englewood GC. It is killer. I'm just not a 6 string guy. But you should reward yourself.
    Buncha Rays and Bongos

User Info Menu

Are rewards still just GAS?-52b868f3-1d90-4e3f-b416-28492740afdb-jpgIronically I just saw this earlier today... Used Guitar Center website.

CLASSIC STINGRAY White (MHS)
    CAPRICE Natural
    Former owner of...
    BONGO - 4HH (Rolls Burgandy), 4Hp ("Small EQ"/Medallion Gold), 4H (Ice Blue), 5HSp (White), 4H (Black Sugar), 4H (PDN Honey Burst), 4H (PDN Tobacco Burst)
    STINGRAY - 4H (30TH), 4H (Dargie Delight), 4H (VSB/BFR RW Neck), 5H (08 LE)
    STERLING - 4HH (Dargie Delight), 4H (Stealth), 4HS (Natural)
    25TH - 5HH (Venetian Red)
    BIG AL - 4SSS (Olive Gold)

Musicman Cutlass/Caprice Bass Club on Facebook.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wim Laven View Post
    Have you ever rewarded yourself with a bass? If you did, did you make it the grail or something readily available?
    I've rewarded myself with every bass I've ever bought. I use to obsess on the grail quest. Found it to be a moving target. I did enjoy checking out a lot of different things, but I enjoy instruments a lot more now that I gave that up. I'd say just don't buy without trying it. If you like it, go for it. If you don't, no-brainer. Don't get hung up. The significance you're ascribing to this purchase, you may well feel differently about down the road. In other words, my answer to your thread title question is yes.

Congrats on the PhD. That's a big deal, and a lot of work.
    Last edited by RobertB; 02-26-2019 at 06:38 PM.

User Info Menu

Congrats on your advanced degree. You deserve a reward for your efforts.

2018 Axis - BFR - Buckeye Burl
    2017 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord - Tahitian Blue
    2017 StingRay 5 - 30th Anniversary - Buttercream
    2013 Albert Lee - BFR - Pinkburst
    2013 Luke III - PDN - emerald green sparkle with an all rosewood neck
    2012 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord
    2012 Axis - PDN - Honeyburst
    2011 Axis - BFR - Black Sugar Roasted
    2009 Axis - Pink Quilt (Oinky)
    2006 StingRay - 30th Anniversary fretless
    1996 StingRay - 20th Anniversary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by five7 View Post
    Buy a Bongo 5 H fretless and have it refinished in green.
    Finding a fretless Bongo 5H looks like it could take a while. But, I may have to a wait a few months anyway. The doctoral gown, tam, and hood is going to be $996.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wim Laven View Post
    Finding a fretless Bongo 5H looks like it could take a while. But, I may have to a wait a few months anyway. The doctoral gown, tam, and hood is going to be $996.
    They charge you for that stuff? So if you cant afford it or don't want to pay, what happens? Do you still get your doctorate? Seems very wrong when that money could be spent on something you'd use more than once. Like a bass.

1998 Sterling 4H honeyburst lined fretless
    2006 30th Anniversary Stingray
    2014 Bongo 4HSp neptune blue w/roasted maple neck
    2014 Big Al 4SSS inca silver w/full rosewood neck

User Info Menu

Go for it! Also play it a lot then.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by muggsy View Post
    They charge you for that stuff? So if you cant afford it or don't want to pay, what happens? Do you still get your doctorate? Seems very wrong when that money could be spent on something you'd use more than once. Like a bass.
    My goal is to stay in higher education, that is why I was buying it, for future events, but you can rent it, or not attend graduation. I do know some people who are choosing to save the money, which is kind of sad.

But still, I don't know that I'll have the chance to wear it more than once a year.