Music Man April BFR

Thread: My neck cracked!!! I'm in tears!!!

User Info Menu

My neck cracked!!! I'm in tears!!!

Hey all,

First time posting and it's really bad news!! My neck has a crack in it!! I found it when I was changing the strings and cleaning off the neck with some lemon oil. This bass has been my go to every since I got it years ago! I'm scared to even restring it at the moment! I've attached some pictures below.

WHAT DO I DO???!!!??

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My neck cracked!!!  I'm in tears!!!-neck-crack-1-jpg   My neck cracked!!!  I'm in tears!!!-neck-crack-2-jpg  

User Info Menu

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

First time I've seen something like that. Email Ernie Ball customer service advice and options open to you:

Customer Service
    Last edited by Rod Trussbroken; 03-10-2019 at 02:22 AM.

User Info Menu

Thank you

User Info Menu

Hello and I’m sorry to hear the bad news.

How is the moisture level in your music room? Winter is brutal on guitars and basses.

Welcome to the forum.

2018 Axis - BFR - Buckeye Burl
    2017 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord - Tahitian Blue
    2017 StingRay 5 - 30th Anniversary - Buttercream
    2013 Albert Lee - BFR - Pinkburst
    2013 Luke III - PDN - emerald green sparkle with an all rosewood neck
    2012 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord
    2012 Axis - PDN - Honeyburst
    2011 Axis - BFR - Black Sugar Roasted
    2009 Axis - Pink Quilt (Oinky)
    2006 StingRay - 30th Anniversary fretless
    1996 StingRay - 20th Anniversary

User Info Menu

OK, I am sure many people here will have other options, and find fault in my solution. That being said, IF IT WAS ME, I would get the thinnest 2 part epoxy I could find (West Systems has an extensive line). I would mix up a small batch and apply it over, and into, the crack using an epoxy brush. I would then use a blow dryer to heat the epoxy on the neck (this will liquefy it, allowing it to flow into the crack). Then I would use 2 small C-Clamps to close the crack. I would use hobby type 3 inch C Clamps. DO NOT clamp directly to the neck! Use shims in between the clamps and the neck to protect the neck from marking. Once clapped, use a rag with a LITTLE rubbing alcohol on it to remove ALL of the excess and oozed out epoxy. Just a SMALL alcohol, you don't want it sitting on your fretboard. After about 24hrs remove the clamps. The crack should be closed and secured. The time is overkill, but you want to make sure the epoxy is dry and hardened. This process comes from my long history in building scale RC planes and boats. We often have to deal with situations like this. Like I said, I am sure many here will have other solutions, and I am by no means saying that this is the only remedy, or the best one. It is simply want "I" would do. GOOD LUCK!!

User Info Menu

I would bring it to a reputable luthier and get their opinion on what can be done.

User Info Menu

Is the crack only at the glued on fingerboard (maple cap) or is the neck itself cracked?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Is the crack only at the glued on fingerboard (maple cap) or is the neck itself cracked?
    Yeah, this is the important thing. If the neck is cracked clear through, that would not be a good sign.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    That is a REALLY good question!! I wish I had asked that!!

User Info Menu

It looks like an overtightened trussrod, bring it to a good luthier, ive seen that kind of crack repaired with hide glue.