Ernie Ball Prodigy Picks
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How could I have missed the Sterling?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mu5icM@n View Post
    My favorite thing is to put super zingy bright strings on them and use them in series mode, with good eq they cut through like nothing else.
    I'm totally new to the Sterling, so which is series mode? I haven't moved the switch yet , it's in the bridge position...
    bovinehost: Yes, I do agree with that, but if there's nothing wrong then there's nothing wrong.
    Beth: I would compare Bongo to Tommy Lee Jones. Bad a$$ and just hot in a weird way...
    cheezewiz: They should take their lace thongs off and play bass.

User Info Menu

How could I have missed the Sterling?-bildschirmfoto-2019-04-11-um-09-19-48-jpg
    1979 StingRay natural maple

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Thanks Bert!
    This true for all Sterlings? Mine is from 2001, and I suddenly got an urge to look under the prickguard

Edit: Forget it, I used the search function (I know...)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaseyBall View Post
    When I wrote an article on the Sterling last year all my research indicated that the original Sterling model wiring configuration is unchanged. Phantom coil is still there for sc sounds.
    Last edited by strummer; 04-11-2019 at 04:36 AM.
    bovinehost: Yes, I do agree with that, but if there's nothing wrong then there's nothing wrong.
    Beth: I would compare Bongo to Tommy Lee Jones. Bad a$$ and just hot in a weird way...

User Info Menu

Well, the Sterling was originally a 4 string version of the 5 String Stingray, which had different electronics than the 4 string. If you've got a 5 String from before 2007, the sound will be very similar to a Sterling.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

This thread is doing nothing for my GAS now I’ve finally quenched the Bongo itch

StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

User Info Menu

All I can say is you probaly need a Sterling too, sorry;-)

User Info Menu

I love mine.
    2017 4HH Black, Green pearl guard, Matching headstock, Rosewood board

How could I have missed the Sterling?-img_1323-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    I’m just reading back through this. Simple ish question and not silly cause I don’t know the answer. How exactly does a phantom coil work in comparison to a regular pickup?
    I know it’s purpose is to cancel the hum that comes with single coil pickups by creating the same series connection, the pickup is buried under the pick guard but does it actually pick anything up? I suppose my question is how does it not pick anything up ?

StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/