December 2019 BFR

Thread: FrankenRay Build

User Info Menu

FrankenRay Build

Just thought I'd share my latest build. I had a '78 Stingray and had ongoing neck issues so decided frankenstein a new bass. I LOVE the sound of the old Stingrays so I took the electronics and PU out of the Ray and transplant it into the body of an old 70's Northern P bass I had. I routed out a hole for the MM pick up and the electronics fit right in to the existing cavity. The body on the P bass was smaller so I cut the pickguard so the control plate would blend right into it. Then I decided I wanted to try and add a 2nd MM pickup in the neck position. So I routed in a 2nd hole and cut a slot in the pickguard, I loved the sound with both PU's so at the moment its wired they are both always on. I'm going to throw in a stacked volume pot to control the 2 PU's but for now I love the sound! I also prefer the smaller body and P style neck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FrankenRay Build-1-jpg   FrankenRay Build-2-jpg   FrankenRay Build-3-jpg  

User Info Menu

That’s an interesting one that’s for sure !

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

User Info Menu

Hey, I was thinking...Music Man would probably sell you a replacement neck if you turn in your old neck with issues.

2018 Axis - BFR - Buckeye Burl
    2017 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord - Tahitian Blue
    2017 StingRay 5 - 30th Anniversary - Buttercream
    2013 Albert Lee - BFR - Pinkburst
    2013 Luke III - PDN - emerald green sparkle with an all rosewood neck
    2012 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord
    2012 Axis - PDN - Honeyburst
    2011 Axis - BFR - Black Sugar Roasted
    2009 Axis - Pink Quilt (Oinky)
    2006 StingRay - 30th Anniversary fretless
    1996 StingRay - 20th Anniversary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tollie View Post
    Hey, I was thinking...Music Man would probably sell you a replacement neck if you turn in your old neck with issues.
    I have talked to them already and since it's pre Ernie Ball (1978) they have nothing in stock that would fit. I honestly Like it better now anyways. The smaller body and P neck are more comfortable for me when playing live. It sounds just as good as it did in the Stingray.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BlacknWhite View Post
    I have talked to them already and since it's pre Ernie Ball (1978) they have nothing in stock that would fit. I honestly Like it better now anyways. The smaller body and P neck are more comfortable for me when playing live. It sounds just as good as it did in the Stingray.
    If you are happy with it that’s all that matters just shame you couldn’t find a replacement neck. I can imagine there is one out there somewhere though

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/