Music Man Modern Classics

Thread: What pickups should this StingRay5 have?

User Info Menu

What pickups should this StingRay5 have?

Hi everyone, A friend gifted me this bass which was being modded from a fretted 5 string to a fretless and the pickups have been removed. It also seems the input was moved from the face to the side edge. I just wast to get this woking again and am having a hard time finding the correct pickups, model number or any info. My friend has tons of instruments and doesn't remember what ws in this before the mod began. I am adding some photos, any input would be great!
    Thanks, Tim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What pickups should this StingRay5 have?-img-6327-jpg   What pickups should this StingRay5 have?-img-6329-jpg   What pickups should this StingRay5 have?-img-6326-jpg   What pickups should this StingRay5 have?-img-6328-jpg  

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilentE View Post
    Hi everyone, A friend gifted me this bass which was being modded from a fretted 5 string to a fretless and the pickups have been removed. It also seems the input was moved from the face to the side edge. I just wast to get this woking again and am having a hard time finding the correct pickups, model number or any info. My friend has tons of instruments and doesn't remember what ws in this before the mod began. I am adding some photos, any input would be great!
    Thanks, Tim
    That bass came probably with a white pickguard, four knobs (vol, treb, mid, bass) active electronic 9Volts and a white pickup, the input was at the side edge.
    What pickups should this StingRay5 have?-bildschirmfoto-2019-04-29-um-11-06-20-png
    1979 StingRay natural maple

User Info Menu

Dang. I have no idea why someone would butcher a bass like that, unless they somehow nuked the electronics. I mean, I know it's their bass, and they can mod it how they want, but if they wanted a Jazz bass, why not just buy one instead of doing that to a Stingray?
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

Ugh, sorry to see that bass in that state. It'll need a single H pickup and a proper pickguard to cover the other pickup rout. If you can get the serial #, customer service will give you the original configuration and maybe help you find parts for it, though getting a pickup might not be possible without the original.

User Info Menu

Unless the original electronics can be found, probably easier to just get an aftermarket setup. I am fairly certain that EBMM will only send out replacements if the original broken part is returned.

You can however find the pickups sometimes on ebay or reverb. The electronics? Rarely. Probably ended up in the garbage.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the input. Looks like I will go with an aftermarket pickup. Anyone have a suggestion for an affordable solution?

User Info Menu

5 String Music Man Bass Pickups - Nordstrand Audio gotta be on the list to check out....

User Info Menu

Look at the John East preamp. What a shame, take care of that thing and get it back to the state it deserves to be in.

User Info Menu

Could always sell it on as salvage. I’d give it a good home.
    If you are interested in selling it let me know
    Last edited by danny-79; 05-03-2019 at 02:02 AM.

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

User Info Menu

I have seen preamps and pickups out of SBMM stingray 5's and their sub 5 models for sale. Might not be the real thing but would sound close.

User Info Menu

how much for the neck (w/ tuners) and bridge shipped?
    EBMM Stingray 4 HH Stealth Pearl
    EBMM Bongo 5 HH Stealth Black
    SBMM SUB 4 Custom Space Bass Refinish
    Oscar Schmidt Acoustic

Markbass EVO 1
    GK NEO 4x10 and 1x15

User Info Menu

Thanks Danny, I would, but shipping to the UK alone would be prohibitive. What do you think it's worth as is?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilentE View Post
    Thanks Danny, I would, but shipping to the UK alone would be prohibitive. What do you think it's worth as is?
    Flat pack it

I’d just be guessing if I said a price. The state it’s in not a lot. It’s definitely salvageable, after market pick up and pre amp (check out John East and Nordstrand)

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/